Re: General Questions re: Bolger's "Surf"

  • marylandbeukers
    Message 1 of 36 , Apr 3 7:18 AM
      Thanks, Patrick.

      I'm interested in your comment about the trailer kit at West Marine.
      Are you speaking about a kit to assemble a trailer, or a trailer
      accessories kit (brake lights, wires, hitch, etc.)? I tried looking
      on West Marine's website and the only trailer they had was a pre-
      assembled one for $630 - and that was only able to pull a boat up to
      12 feet. I'd like to keep any purchase cost for a trailer about the
      same for building the boat ($200 +/-....am I in "Fantasy World" with
      this cost?)

      Your email below, combined with the others posted under
      the "Cartopping it" subject line, have convinved me to invest in a
      trailer - if I can afford it. About a year ago, I had the
      opportunity to take possession of a used Siren 17. It was in very
      good condition, except that the axle of the trailer it sat on was
      broken. The boat was in the guy's backyard way out on the southern
      peninsula tip of Maryland where there isn't much infrastructure. It
      became such a hassle to organize an effort to either fix the existing
      trailer or get a new one that I eventually had to pass on the boat.
      Not to mention getting a hitch put on the Passat (something it's not
      designed for), getting a Maryland state license for the trailer (it's
      required in Maryland) and then learning how to drive & park a
      trailer. It really left a bad taste in my mouth, and I eventually
      decided to build my own boat and car-top it. But I now realize that
      desire is in conflict with the my other desire to have a boat that
      can hold a family of four.

      What are your (and anyone else's) thoughts on the idea of building my
      own trailer out of thick lumber? I did see that West Marine sells
      everything else a trailer needs except the frame. And as I'm buying
      wood to build the boat, I figure I can also get some lumber for a
      trailer? Am I still in Fantasy World?

      Thanks again!
      FB

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Patrick Crockett <pcrockett@...> wrote:

      > I car-topped my Windsprint for a year before I invested in a
      trailer. It
      > was hard -- no way I could do it now, 10 years later (without
      serious
      > back pain the next few days). Also, we sold th Bonneville station
      wagon
      > -- it would be a trick to fit it on top of a smaller car. The wind
      from
      > passing trucks on th highway would probably sail you right off the
      road.
      > On the other hand, with a trailer it is quite light -- I had no
      concerns
      > pulling it behind my Mazda Protege. You can buy a trailer kit from
      West
      > Marine -- adds a few hundred dollars to the total cost of the boat.
      >
      > Patrick
      >
      > marylandbeukers wrote:
      > > Good information to know - especially about the possible cramped
      > > quarters. Thank you very much. (Also, my wife just told me that
      our
      > > oldest now weighs 60 lbs.!)
      > >
      > > Can you tell me how much the Windsprint weighs? The 150 lbs. of
      your
      > > Surf is about the max I wanted to go, and I'm assuming the
      Windsprint
      > > weighs even more. (150 lbs may not seem like much, but I'm trying
      > > picture my wife and I up-ending and lifting a 150 lb, 16' boat
      onto
      > > the top of our car - and the picture isn't pretty.) I also have
      > > make sure I can find a 4'6"+ roof rack that can fit my VW Passat
      > > wagon.
      > >
      > > Let me ask one other advice question: If the windsprint won't
      work
      > > for me, is it possible to add a removable outrigger rig to the
      Surf?
      > > My thinking is that this will help with stability and - possibly -

      > > allow me to reduce the size of the flotation compartments which
      will
      > > allow for more "people" room in the boat.
      > >
      > > Any thoughts?

    • Kristine Bennett
      Message 36 of 36 , Apr 4 9:08 PM
        The one thing that has only been touched on here. With
        a small bore motor they don't like to be lugged at
        all. They make their power at high RPM. So to keep
        them from over heating, keep them spun up so they can
        make the power needed. In short down shift as soon as
        the RPMs start to fall off on the hills.

        I have towed with a 64 VW Baja Bug and 74 VW Bus and
        they did the job asked of them. My 79 Toyota 4x4 does
        all I ask of it and then some and it's a 2.3L motor.

        You also have to learn to plan well ahead of yourself
        all the time you are moving. Enjoy the time you have
        when you can.

        Blessings Krissie

        http://mobile.yahoo.com/mail