Re: [bolger] Modify a Windsprint?

  • Patrick Crockett
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 2, 2007
      Chris:

      Lots of people make water-tight compartments fore and aft for flotation,
      and therefore deck over the bow and stern. I put a deck about 4" below
      the gunwales forward (back to the mast step), making a place where I was
      comfortable letting my daughter lounge from the time she was 4. Now that
      she's 13, she kind of hangs over the edges when she lounges up there,
      but it is still where she goes when she is not steering. I made an
      after-deck from the rear thwart back, about 2" below the gunwales. I
      throw stuff back there to get it out of the way -- water bottles,
      cushions, stern painter, etc. I haven't yet bothered with the
      water-tight compartment thing, I just stacked up some closed cell foam
      and put plywood on top of that. Someday, I'll finish the boat.

      Windsprint was specifically designed to fit into 4 sheets of plywood. If
      you add freeboard, you'll have to buy another sheet. I don't think it
      will be quite as pretty. OTOH, another 2 inches might have saved me from
      a capsize last July 4th. Or not. I think that I have capsized more often
      from dragging the boom in the water (close reaching) than from excessive
      heel. Truly, the boat feels safest to me when close-hauled.

      I have needed to strengthen the rudder stock, reinforce the daggerboard
      trunk where it attaches to the side of the boat, and repair the mast
      step when the mast chewed it up -- not sure if that was during a capsize
      or when we broke the rudder and were flopping around in large waves with
      a fair bit of wind (and a ferry waiting for us to get out of the way).

      Some photos of my boat are in the photos section of the Bolger group:
      and some others are at: http://www.patrickcrockett.com/boats/boats.html
      One photo on the latter page looks like the gunwale is perilously close
      to the water, but I'm pretty sure we didn't ship any water that trip. My
      daughter was OK with tippy-ness at that age, but would have been pretty
      worried about water coming in. Part of what makes it look perilous is
      the fact that the bow wave lifts up almost to the gunwale -- note that
      at the ends the water is not so tall.

      BTW, when you buy (or build) a sail, be _sure_ to have the second reef
      put in -- if you single-hand the boat in any breeze at all, you will be
      glad to have it. And figure out a way to reef the sail while under way.
      I also found that a 2-part sheet was very helpful (and an over-sized one
      -- I have 1/2" soft yacht braid). I tie off to the rudder stock, run the
      sheet to the end of the boom, along the boom, and back to my hand from a
      block at mid-boom. Much more comfortable when the wind pipes up than the
      designed 1-part sheet (end of the boom to the rudder to the hand).

      Patrick

      Christopher Wetherill wrote:
      > I am warming up to build a Windsprint this spring. I am considering
      > giving it about 2 extra inches of freeboard. Some of the pictures I
      > have seen look like the gunwale is perilously close to the water close
      > hauled. I would appreciate opinions of this idea and the possibility
      > of decking over the bow and stern.
      >
      > V/R
      > Chris

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • graeme19121984
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 4, 2007
        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Christopher Wetherill" <wetherillc@...>
        wrote:
        > Decking the ends would add at least one sheet. Increasing the width
        > of the sides would add another. I am trying to decide if the time
        >and materials difference is worthwhile.

        Chris,

        as you would then be into a six sheet boat have you thought of other
        instants of around that size, eg COLD-WATER SAILBOARD, or JINNI?

        Freeboard not greatly increased, but bottom beam is, so with transom
        sterns these should stand up more to sail, and both have their own way
        for easy recovery should capsise ever [guaranteed ;-)] happen. The
        WINDSPRINT sail could be fitted to either with a little fiddling, if
        wanted

        Graeme