Re: [bolger] Re: General Questions re: Bolger's "Surf"

  • Patrick Crockett
    Message 1 of 36 , Apr 2, 2007
      I car-topped my Windsprint for a year before I invested in a trailer. It
      was hard -- no way I could do it now, 10 years later (without serious
      back pain the next few days). Also, we sold th Bonneville station wagon
      -- it would be a trick to fit it on top of a smaller car. The wind from
      passing trucks on th highway would probably sail you right off the road.
      On the other hand, with a trailer it is quite light -- I had no concerns
      pulling it behind my Mazda Protege. You can buy a trailer kit from West
      Marine -- adds a few hundred dollars to the total cost of the boat.

      Patrick

      marylandbeukers wrote:
      > Good information to know - especially about the possible cramped
      > quarters. Thank you very much. (Also, my wife just told me that our
      > oldest now weighs 60 lbs.!)
      >
      > Can you tell me how much the Windsprint weighs? The 150 lbs. of your
      > Surf is about the max I wanted to go, and I'm assuming the Windsprint
      > weighs even more. (150 lbs may not seem like much, but I'm trying to
      > picture my wife and I up-ending and lifting a 150 lb, 16' boat onto
      > the top of our car - and the picture isn't pretty.) I also have to
      > make sure I can find a 4'6"+ roof rack that can fit my VW Passat
      > wagon.
      >
      > Let me ask one other advice question: If the windsprint won't work
      > for me, is it possible to add a removable outrigger rig to the Surf?
      > My thinking is that this will help with stability and - possibly -
      > allow me to reduce the size of the flotation compartments which will
      > allow for more "people" room in the boat.
      >
      > Any thoughts?
    • Kristine Bennett
      Message 36 of 36 , Apr 4, 2007
        The one thing that has only been touched on here. With
        a small bore motor they don't like to be lugged at
        all. They make their power at high RPM. So to keep
        them from over heating, keep them spun up so they can
        make the power needed. In short down shift as soon as
        the RPMs start to fall off on the hills.

        I have towed with a 64 VW Baja Bug and 74 VW Bus and
        they did the job asked of them. My 79 Toyota 4x4 does
        all I ask of it and then some and it's a 2.3L motor.

        You also have to learn to plan well ahead of yourself
        all the time you are moving. Enjoy the time you have
        when you can.

        Blessings Krissie

        http://mobile.yahoo.com/mail