Re:Modify a Windsprint?

  • Matthew Lawson
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 2, 2007
      Chris:

      I appreciate your concerns. Windsprint is really a very small boat.
      The pointy ends, though beautiful, make LOA deciptive, add no bouyancy,
      and constrain interior space. Before I built I strongly considered a
      stretched punt. After being out a few times, I wished I had done that
      or scaled the design to 18'. Oh well. I'm pleased overall. And she
      IS a beautiful boat.

      I have not had a knockdown, but then I didn't go with the balance lug
      as designed, which may make a difference. I've got sketches for my
      sprit-boomed sprit sail in bolger2\files\windsprint stuff. The foot of
      the sail is angled up, so I think I would sink the gunwale before I had
      a knockdown on any point of sailing. Or maybe I'm chicken. Maybe this
      summer, with warm water, all flotation, and my bailing bucket, I'll see
      how far I can press it.

      (Patrick: nice kayak! I've thought of building one next. Wait, Chris,
      why don't you just leapfrog the Windsprint, build a CLC kayak, and get
      the CLC outrigger and sea kayak sail kit. If you want to sprint on the
      wind, I think that may be your best bet. Or a hobie cat. Or an ice
      boat.)

      --Matt

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Christopher Wetherill" <wetherillc@...>
      wrote:

      > Matt,
      >
      > Here is my concern. Look at Patrick Crockkett's pictures here:
      > http://home.nc.rr.com/pcrockett/boats.html The photo showing two
      > adults and a child aboard running close hauled doesn't show a lot of
      > reserve against heeling and "burying the rail". Coupled with the
      > numerous descriptions of swamping of Windsprints, I was inspired to
      > contemplate the behaviors that could result in me taking an unplanned
      > swim.
    • Patrick Crockett
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 2, 2007
        Chris:

        Lots of people make water-tight compartments fore and aft for flotation,
        and therefore deck over the bow and stern. I put a deck about 4" below
        the gunwales forward (back to the mast step), making a place where I was
        comfortable letting my daughter lounge from the time she was 4. Now that
        she's 13, she kind of hangs over the edges when she lounges up there,
        but it is still where she goes when she is not steering. I made an
        after-deck from the rear thwart back, about 2" below the gunwales. I
        throw stuff back there to get it out of the way -- water bottles,
        cushions, stern painter, etc. I haven't yet bothered with the
        water-tight compartment thing, I just stacked up some closed cell foam
        and put plywood on top of that. Someday, I'll finish the boat.

        Windsprint was specifically designed to fit into 4 sheets of plywood. If
        you add freeboard, you'll have to buy another sheet. I don't think it
        will be quite as pretty. OTOH, another 2 inches might have saved me from
        a capsize last July 4th. Or not. I think that I have capsized more often
        from dragging the boom in the water (close reaching) than from excessive
        heel. Truly, the boat feels safest to me when close-hauled.

        I have needed to strengthen the rudder stock, reinforce the daggerboard
        trunk where it attaches to the side of the boat, and repair the mast
        step when the mast chewed it up -- not sure if that was during a capsize
        or when we broke the rudder and were flopping around in large waves with
        a fair bit of wind (and a ferry waiting for us to get out of the way).

        Some photos of my boat are in the photos section of the Bolger group:
        and some others are at: http://www.patrickcrockett.com/boats/boats.html
        One photo on the latter page looks like the gunwale is perilously close
        to the water, but I'm pretty sure we didn't ship any water that trip. My
        daughter was OK with tippy-ness at that age, but would have been pretty
        worried about water coming in. Part of what makes it look perilous is
        the fact that the bow wave lifts up almost to the gunwale -- note that
        at the ends the water is not so tall.

        BTW, when you buy (or build) a sail, be _sure_ to have the second reef
        put in -- if you single-hand the boat in any breeze at all, you will be
        glad to have it. And figure out a way to reef the sail while under way.
        I also found that a 2-part sheet was very helpful (and an over-sized one
        -- I have 1/2" soft yacht braid). I tie off to the rudder stock, run the
        sheet to the end of the boom, along the boom, and back to my hand from a
        block at mid-boom. Much more comfortable when the wind pipes up than the
        designed 1-part sheet (end of the boom to the rudder to the hand).

        Patrick

        Christopher Wetherill wrote:
        > I am warming up to build a Windsprint this spring. I am considering
        > giving it about 2 extra inches of freeboard. Some of the pictures I
        > have seen look like the gunwale is perilously close to the water close
        > hauled. I would appreciate opinions of this idea and the possibility
        > of decking over the bow and stern.
        >
        > V/R
        > Chris

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • graeme19121984
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 4, 2007
          wrote:
          > Decking the ends would add at least one sheet. Increasing the width
          > of the sides would add another. I am trying to decide if the time
          >and materials difference is worthwhile.

          Chris,

          as you would then be into a six sheet boat have you thought of other
          instants of around that size, eg COLD-WATER SAILBOARD, or JINNI?

          Freeboard not greatly increased, but bottom beam is, so with transom
          sterns these should stand up more to sail, and both have their own way
          for easy recovery should capsise ever [guaranteed ;-)] happen. The
          WINDSPRINT sail could be fitted to either with a little fiddling, if
          wanted

          Graeme