Re: [bolger] Re: General Questions re: Bolger's "Surf"

  • Wesley Cox
    Message 1 of 36 , Apr 2, 2007
      I have 2 thoughts.

      150 lbs. is *a lot* of boat to lift onto a car, even a short VW, even one end at a time.

      Reducing flotation inside the boat compensated by flotation in an outrigger can only be done so far. I think of the same scenario myself at times. I keep in mind that flotation becomes useful at the worst of times. If you have a capsize in rough water and the outrigger has enough flotation to float the entire rig but the main hull doesn't or doesn't quite, then as you are trying to re-board the boat, it will sink while the outrigger floats. If this doesn't make sense, I'll try to explain further.

      Message 36 of 36 , Apr 4, 2007
        The one thing that has only been touched on here. With
        a small bore motor they don't like to be lugged at
        all. They make their power at high RPM. So to keep
        them from over heating, keep them spun up so they can
        make the power needed. In short down shift as soon as
        the RPMs start to fall off on the hills.

        I have towed with a 64 VW Baja Bug and 74 VW Bus and
        they did the job asked of them. My 79 Toyota 4x4 does
        all I ask of it and then some and it's a 2.3L motor.

        You also have to learn to plan well ahead of yourself
        all the time you are moving. Enjoy the time you have
        when you can.

        Blessings Krissie

        http://mobile.yahoo.com/mail