quick build row sail

  • echo172@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 1, 2007
      Is "gypsy" a good choice for a row sail for two people and a quick or easy build? I need a boat asap.
      Thanks much

    • fulton0922@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 2, 2007
        Build a Brick! Cheap, quick and easy to build.

      • Harry James
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 2, 2007
          Gypsy isn't really a two person boat. How about June Bug, quicker build
          and friendlier to two people. See the Zieger's link for construction and
          use with more than one person.

          http://www.akzeigers.com/JB.html

          HJ

          echo172@... wrote:
          > Is "gypsy" a good choice for a row sail for two people and a quick or easy build? I need a boat asap.
          > Thanks much

        • John and Kathy Trussell
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 2, 2007
            Basic rule--the quickest boat to build is the one with the fewest pieces. Generally, this is a flat bottomed boat made out of plywood. For two people, a boat in the 15 to 16 ft range using 4 sheets of plywood is a pretty good choice. PCB and Jim Michalak offer several plans for boats that fit into this category and they all work reasonably well as row/sail boats for two in sheltered water and mild to moderate wind. V-bottom/multi-chine/round bottom boats will probably be faster, more seaworthy, and more commodious than a flat bottomed boat. However, such boats have a lot more pieces and take a lot longer to build.

            You can spend a lot of time agonizing about the 'best' boat to build. My suggestion is to make a quick decision and build the boat of your choice as quickly and cheaply as possible. As you gain experience, you can become more sophisticated in your choice of a second boat. But sophistication is based on experience and you don't get experience until you start!

            JohnT