Re:Modify a Windsprint?

  • Christopher Wetherill
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 1 9:34 PM
      Matt,

      Here is my concern. Look at Patrick Crockkett's pictures here:
      http://home.nc.rr.com/pcrockett/boats.html The photo showing two
      adults and a child aboard running close hauled doesn't show a lot of
      reserve against heeling and "burying the rail". Coupled with the
      numerous descriptions of swamping of Windsprints, I was inspired to
      contemplate the behaviors that could result in me taking an unplanned
      swim.

      The precipitating event in the descriptions I have read is the boom
      going under water. This would drag the hull across the wind.
      Knockdown would be inevitable. My thinking is that if the draft and
      heel combine to put the gunwale under then the swim would be just as
      certain.

      My options are to build as drawn, build with extra freeboard, and
      build with deck and combing. Building with deck and combing would
      result in a cockpit with reduced width. Since I am almost 50, 6'
      220#, and have troublesome knees, This is not too appealing. I
      therefore limit the decking to the ends of the hull and consider the
      freeboard.

      Decking the ends would add at least one sheet. Increasing the width
      of the sides would add another. I am trying to decide if the time and
      materials difference is worthwhile.

      V/R
      Chris

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Matthew Lawson" <mplawson@...> wrote:

      > To give Windsprint more freeboard means major changes in the layout
      of the
      > side panels on the sheets of plywood, turning an incredibly
      > materials-efficient design into a plywood hog (comparatively).
    • Jon & Wanda(Tink)
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 1 10:18 PM
        I would think it may raise the COG and cause more heeling. It may be
        better to add 4-6" in width at center of force spredding the bow a
        little as well as the stern then deck.

        Jon

        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Christopher Wetherill"
        <wetherillc@...> wrote:

        > Matt,
        >
        > Here is my concern. Look at Patrick Crockkett's pictures here:
        > http://home.nc.rr.com/pcrockett/boats.html The photo showing two
        > adults and a child aboard running close hauled doesn't show a lot of
        > reserve against heeling and "burying the rail". Coupled with the
        > numerous descriptions of swamping of Windsprints, I was inspired to
        > contemplate the behaviors that could result in me taking an
        unplanned
        > swim.
        >
        > The precipitating event in the descriptions I have read is the boom
        > going under water. This would drag the hull across the wind.
        > Knockdown would be inevitable. My thinking is that if the draft and
        > heel combine to put the gunwale under then the swim would be just as
        > certain.
        >
        > My options are to build as drawn, build with extra freeboard, and
        > build with deck and combing. Building with deck and combing would
        > result in a cockpit with reduced width. Since I am almost 50, 6'
        > 220#, and have troublesome knees, This is not too appealing. I
        > therefore limit the decking to the ends of the hull and consider the
        > freeboard.
        >
        > Decking the ends would add at least one sheet. Increasing the width
        > of the sides would add another. I am trying to decide if the time
        and
        > materials difference is worthwhile.
        >
        > V/R
        > Chris
        >

        > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Matthew Lawson" <mplawson@> wrote:
        > >
        > > To give Windsprint more freeboard means major changes in the
        layout
        > of the
        > > side panels on the sheets of plywood, turning an incredibly
        > > materials-efficient design into a plywood hog (comparatively).
      • Matthew Lawson
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 2 5:57 PM
          Chris:

          I appreciate your concerns. Windsprint is really a very small boat.
          The pointy ends, though beautiful, make LOA deciptive, add no bouyancy,
          and constrain interior space. Before I built I strongly considered a
          stretched punt. After being out a few times, I wished I had done that
          or scaled the design to 18'. Oh well. I'm pleased overall. And she
          IS a beautiful boat.

          I have not had a knockdown, but then I didn't go with the balance lug
          as designed, which may make a difference. I've got sketches for my
          sprit-boomed sprit sail in bolger2\files\windsprint stuff. The foot of
          the sail is angled up, so I think I would sink the gunwale before I had
          a knockdown on any point of sailing. Or maybe I'm chicken. Maybe this
          summer, with warm water, all flotation, and my bailing bucket, I'll see
          how far I can press it.

          (Patrick: nice kayak! I've thought of building one next. Wait, Chris,
          why don't you just leapfrog the Windsprint, build a CLC kayak, and get
          the CLC outrigger and sea kayak sail kit. If you want to sprint on the
          wind, I think that may be your best bet. Or a hobie cat. Or an ice
          boat.)

          --Matt

          wrote:

          > Matt,
          >
          > Here is my concern. Look at Patrick Crockkett's pictures here:
          > http://home.nc.rr.com/pcrockett/boats.html The photo showing two
          > adults and a child aboard running close hauled doesn't show a lot of
          > reserve against heeling and "burying the rail". Coupled with the
          > numerous descriptions of swamping of Windsprints, I was inspired to
          > contemplate the behaviors that could result in me taking an unplanned
          > swim.
        • Patrick Crockett
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 2 6:55 PM
            Chris:

            Lots of people make water-tight compartments fore and aft for flotation,
            and therefore deck over the bow and stern. I put a deck about 4" below
            the gunwales forward (back to the mast step), making a place where I was
            comfortable letting my daughter lounge from the time she was 4. Now that
            she's 13, she kind of hangs over the edges when she lounges up there,
            but it is still where she goes when she is not steering. I made an
            after-deck from the rear thwart back, about 2" below the gunwales. I
            throw stuff back there to get it out of the way -- water bottles,
            cushions, stern painter, etc. I haven't yet bothered with the
            water-tight compartment thing, I just stacked up some closed cell foam
            and put plywood on top of that. Someday, I'll finish the boat.

            Windsprint was specifically designed to fit into 4 sheets of plywood. If
            you add freeboard, you'll have to buy another sheet. I don't think it
            will be quite as pretty. OTOH, another 2 inches might have saved me from
            a capsize last July 4th. Or not. I think that I have capsized more often
            from dragging the boom in the water (close reaching) than from excessive
            heel. Truly, the boat feels safest to me when close-hauled.

            I have needed to strengthen the rudder stock, reinforce the daggerboard
            trunk where it attaches to the side of the boat, and repair the mast
            step when the mast chewed it up -- not sure if that was during a capsize
            or when we broke the rudder and were flopping around in large waves with
            a fair bit of wind (and a ferry waiting for us to get out of the way).

            Some photos of my boat are in the photos section of the Bolger group:
            and some others are at: http://www.patrickcrockett.com/boats/boats.html
            One photo on the latter page looks like the gunwale is perilously close
            to the water, but I'm pretty sure we didn't ship any water that trip. My
            daughter was OK with tippy-ness at that age, but would have been pretty
            worried about water coming in. Part of what makes it look perilous is
            the fact that the bow wave lifts up almost to the gunwale -- note that
            at the ends the water is not so tall.

            BTW, when you buy (or build) a sail, be _sure_ to have the second reef
            put in -- if you single-hand the boat in any breeze at all, you will be
            glad to have it. And figure out a way to reef the sail while under way.
            I also found that a 2-part sheet was very helpful (and an over-sized one
            -- I have 1/2" soft yacht braid). I tie off to the rudder stock, run the
            sheet to the end of the boom, along the boom, and back to my hand from a
            block at mid-boom. Much more comfortable when the wind pipes up than the
            designed 1-part sheet (end of the boom to the rudder to the hand).

            Patrick

            Christopher Wetherill wrote:
            > I am warming up to build a Windsprint this spring. I am considering
            > giving it about 2 extra inches of freeboard. Some of the pictures I
            > have seen look like the gunwale is perilously close to the water close
            > hauled. I would appreciate opinions of this idea and the possibility
            > of decking over the bow and stern.
            >
            > V/R
            > Chris

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • graeme19121984
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 4 4:27 AM
              wrote:
              > Decking the ends would add at least one sheet. Increasing the width
              > of the sides would add another. I am trying to decide if the time
              >and materials difference is worthwhile.

              Chris,

              as you would then be into a six sheet boat have you thought of other
              instants of around that size, eg COLD-WATER SAILBOARD, or JINNI?

              Freeboard not greatly increased, but bottom beam is, so with transom
              sterns these should stand up more to sail, and both have their own way
              for easy recovery should capsise ever [guaranteed ;-)] happen. The
              WINDSPRINT sail could be fitted to either with a little fiddling, if
              wanted

              Graeme