Re: [bolger] Re: two modifications of Micro rig?

  • Kristine Bennett
    Message 1 of 18 , Mar 31 7:22 PM
      Dan, I think it goes with the calaber of people that
      build their own boats or airplanes for that matter.
      When you set out to build something like then you are
      always going to have questions and no one of us is as
      smart as all of us together!

      I too have been on a number of lists and the boat
      building groups and the aircraft building groupes have
      been the most helpful all around.

      The one thing both tend to live by "There is no dumb
      question. The only dumb question is the one never
      asked and should have been."

      I also have to pipe up here and say Thank You all for
      being so helpful and putting up with me.

      Blessing to all
      Krissie

      --- danieljamesstewart4 <stewartd@...> wrote:

      > Despite the injunction against the "Thanks Bruce,
      > regards, Dan" sort
      > of post, let me say that I have been around the
      > internet for almost
      > 20 years and you crowd are the most helpful and
      > courteous members of
      > a mailing list I have yet encountered (nevermind my
      > dumb questions).
      > What nice people you are!
      >
      > So, regards,
      >
      > Dan

      The fish are biting.
    • alefoot
      Message 2 of 18 , Apr 1, 2007
        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "danieljamesstewart4" <stewartd@...> wrote:

        > --I'm also thinking of building the mast as a tabernacle so it can be
        > stepped more easily. Again, has anyone tried this?

        Hi Dan

        Our Micro has a tabernacled main mast, "owner designed" rather than
        built to Phil and Susanne's design. Susanne's seen pictures, and only
        had nice things to say, although I should be absolutely clear that I'm
        not suggesting that she or Phil endorse my fooling around.
        Anyway, it works fine. I did the DIY thing partly because the PB&F
        designed tabernacle changed the sail balance and implied a revised
        mizzen. DIY kept the sails we already had.

        The main advantage of the tabernacle is not that it is easier than
        stepping the main in the original manner [although it can be when the
        wind gets up] but rather that the tabernacled version is a lot quicker
        to deploy from a trailer. Before, we carried the masts in stubby
        gallows while on the road, and at the ramp the masts had to be lifted
        clear, the gallows removed , the tiedowns disposed of, the masts
        stepped, blah, blah. Now, the mizzen straps to the main while
        travelling, and at the ramp the main can be swung into position in a
        blink. All the cordage associated with our gaff rig remains connected.

        cheers
        Derek
      • graeme19121984
        Message 3 of 18 , Apr 3, 2007
          Hey, just noticed that reaching spinnaker on the bow tabernacle
          upgrade plans Nels filed. Any ideas on how big it is, and whether it
          could be flown from the standard sharpie mainsail mast (also in the
          tabernacle mod)?

          Graeme