Re: Started a light scooner

  • jkess777
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 28, 2007
      Thanks for the replys guys.

      I'm nixing the motor well it will be a watertight compartment,
      actually all the compartments will be watertight. Im going to scull
      the boat from the transom therefore the arch...The other changes are
      a wheel for steering, lazerete, a toerail with scuppers to ship it up.

      The rudder tiller will go through the transom something like the cat
      therefore lowered for the oar scull at the transom.

      The rudder and efforts are exactly according to plans. That is why I
      had to cut the sides back for the arch radias to intersect at the
      proper location aft.

      Im busy on a house remodel atm so I guess the boat will be relegated
      to weekends...I hate that but oh well.

      Ill have the boat ready for the messabout in June.

      Jim

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "ghartc" <gregg.carlson@...> wrote:

      > Nice work. The motor well in the LS is handy, next to impossible to
      > seal, and drags a ton of water onboard if you don't. I thought about
      > opening the stern to allow the scooped water to pass and moving the
      > rudder off-center, perhaps creating a pair of rudders, or even
      > stretching the gudgeons across an opening - none of which sound too
      > pretty. Perhaps you'll nix it altogether with your new treatment of
      > the stern as it seems an oar would do just fine.
      >
      > What's the story with the plywood and all the printing?
      >
      > Gregg Carlson
      >

      > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "adventures_in_astrophotography"
      > <jon@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi jkess,
      > >
      > > > My first build but it is going very fast.
      > > > Pictures are here...
      > >
      > > The build quality looks very good. I like the curved transom,
      and
      > > will be interested to see how that changes the rudder mounting.
      The
      > > photos don't seem to show any limber holes for drainage or access
      > > through the bulkheads to the mast steps. What other
      modifications are
      > > you planning?
      > >
      > > Jon Kolb
      > > www.kolbsadventures.com/boatbuilding_index.htm

    • Kristine Bennett
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 28, 2007
        Hey that is some real nice looking plywood for
        underlayment... Where do you find it?

        I was looking at the MDO the lumber yard here on the
        island has boy is it some nasty looking stuff!

        Blessings all
        Krissie

        --- Peter Lenihan <peterlenihan@...> wrote:

        > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "ghartc"
        > <gregg.carlson@...> wrote:
        > > What's the story with the plywood and all the
        > printing?
        > >
        > > Gregg Carlson
        >
        > I was about to ask the same question once the
        > swelling went down on my
        > shoulder after falling off the desk upside down
        > trying to read the
        > writing....I did manage to read something like 15
        > year warrenty before
        > taking the tumble. Oh yes, and the word
        > "underlayment".
        >
        > Sincerely,
        >
        > Peter"Oh shit!" Lenihan........

        The fish are biting.
      • jkess777
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 28, 2007
          Oh the plywood..It is ultraply..the lumberyard calls it premium
          luan..its full 1/4, heavy and good both sides.

          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Lenihan" <peterlenihan@...> wrote:

          > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "ghartc" <gregg.carlson@> wrote:
          > > What's the story with the plywood and all the printing?
          > >
          > > Gregg Carlson
          >
          > I was about to ask the same question once the swelling went down on
          my
          > shoulder after falling off the desk upside down trying to read the
          > writing....I did manage to read something like 15 year warrenty
          before
          > taking the tumble. Oh yes, and the word "underlayment".
          >
          > Sincerely,
          >
          > Peter"Oh shit!" Lenihan........

        • jkess777
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 28, 2007
            Oh the plywood..It is ultraply..the lumberyard calls it premium
            luan..its full 1/4, heavy and good both sides.

            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Lenihan" <peterlenihan@...> wrote:

            > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "ghartc" <gregg.carlson@> wrote:
            > > What's the story with the plywood and all the printing?
            > >
            > > Gregg Carlson
            >
            > I was about to ask the same question once the swelling went down on
            my
            > shoulder after falling off the desk upside down trying to read the
            > writing....I did manage to read something like 15 year warrenty
            before
            > taking the tumble. Oh yes, and the word "underlayment".
            >
            > Sincerely,
            >
            > Peter"Oh shit!" Lenihan........

          • jkess777
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 30, 2007
              Wow how did I end up with so many posts?..Did put the false stem on the
              schooner night before last...Ill put pictures up when I can get to it.

              --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "jkess777" <jkess777@...> wrote:

              > My first build but it is going very fast.
              > Pictures are here...

            • Chris Curtis
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 30, 2007
                Mr JKess, there was a server issue at yahoo groups HQ. It affected
                MANY groups.

                BTW, your pictures look great. I'm sure we all are looking forward
                to pictures of her sailing!

                Chris Curtis

                On Mar 30, 2007, at 9:05 PM, jkess777 wrote:

                > Wow how did I end up with so many posts?..Did put the false stem on
                > the
                > schooner night before last...Ill put pictures up when I can get to it.
                >
                > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "jkess777" <jkess777@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > My first build but it is going very fast.
                > > Pictures are here...

              • Bill
                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 2, 2007
                  jkess,
                  Don't know if you saw this article at Duckworks or not. Involves
                  modifying the motorwell on the LS.
                  Bill
                  http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/07/columns/rob/index5.htm

                  --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "jkess777" <jkess777@...> wrote:

                  > My first build but it is going very fast.
                  > Pictures are here...

                • dcassidyus
                  Message 8 of 13 , May 10, 2007
                    Jim

                    Just came across this thread.
                    I'm considering using Ultraply for my Michalek AF3, and I'm wondering
                    what you think of it so far.

                    Any other boats on the web I can check out that have used it that you
                    know of?

                    David C

                    --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "jkess777" <jkess777@...> wrote:

                    > My first build but it is going very fast.
                    > Pictures are here...

                  • Jim Kessler
                    Message 9 of 13 , May 13, 2007
                      David,
                      Seems to be much better than luan. It is thicker than 1/4. I like the
                      fact that no knot filling has to be done because both sides are
                      completely clear. It also has a plank look if you wanted to go
                      bright. It does smell different than any ply I have ever cut might be
                      the glues they use I'm not sure. It can also be a harder on router
                      bits.
                      Hope this helps,
                      Jim