Re: [bolger] Re: Superbrick modification? was Class IV Ostar Racer

  • Kristine Bennett
    Message 1 of 24 , Mar 4, 2007
      One of the other ideas I had after seeing the shallow
      CAD drawings was put a little diesel with a straight
      shaft and gear in it, as just a slowpoke to beebop
      around the sound. And with a 12 to 18 Hp diesel you
      would really have to run her hard to burn more then
      3/4 gallon an hour. Then again the hull speed is
      something around 6.5 knots.

      The other thing is where are you going to get the
      weight to set her down in the water?

      OK so you have a small powerbarge that you can put a
      lot of people on and not sink it.

      Hey building her out of steel wouldn't be a bad way to
      go. But you may have more draft then you want to have.

      Blessings Krissie

      --- Howard Stephenson <howardstephenson@...>
      wrote:

      > Seeing Krissie's post and Bruce's idea of re-drawing
      > it to reduce
      > displacement made me wonder whether the whole hull
      > and deck could be
      > built of steel.
      >
      > But, with so many dead-flat panels, the shape is not
      > really suitable
      > for steel and the displacement as drawn is only 3350
      > lb. You'd need
      > something like 40 sheets of plywood (3/8" ?) plus
      > framing timber,
      > paint, glue, fasteners and fittings, outboard and
      > fuel, sailing rig,
      > leeboard, water and tanks, soft furnishings,
      > hatches, windows,
      > ground tackle, boat handling gear, dinghy, crew plus
      > personal
      > effects, sink, Porta-potti, food, cooking utensils,
      > crockery and
      > cutlery etc.
      >
      > With all that and the ballast Bruce has told us
      > about, there
      > wouldn't be much change left out of 3350 lb.
      >
      > Howard

      It's here! Your new message!
      Message 2 of 24 , Mar 4, 2007
        > This is interesting, my copy of the plans ends with #57 on page 3 of
        > the key, apparently I am missing a page.

        Paraphrasing page 4 of the Key, (covers about 1/3 of the page)

        57.cont.Stove recess to match stove. Drawers and cabinets to taste...
        58.Dresser with legroom...to be used as desk.
        59.Motor, ...5 1/2 knots max. with 6 hp motor, low pitch 3 or 4 blade propeller.
        60.Fuel tanks as convenient, strapped in place.
        61.Ballast...at least 500lbs, bolted down.
      • Paul
        Message 3 of 24 , Mar 4, 2007
          Thanks Bruce. I faxed Phil this afternoon and asked for a
          replacement page.

          Paul H.