Re: Superbrick modification? was Class IV Ostar Racer

  • Paul
    Message 1 of 24 , Mar 4, 2007
      This is interesting, my copy of the plans ends with #57 on page 3 of
      the key, apparently I am missing a page.

      > On 3/4/07, Paul <p_hardy@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > The plans do not specify lead but I had already figured that it
      will
      > > need substantial ballast.
      >
      > Reading from the Superbrick (design#559) building key, note #61:
      >
      > "Ballast: There should be at least 500 pounds of ballast. It can
      be
      > in lead slabs or bricks across the boat under the floorboards,
      most if
      > not all in the bay just ahead of the 'C' bulkhead. A lead slab 1
      1/4"
      > thick, 12" wide (fore and aft), and 7'0" across the boat, or the
      > equivalent in smaller pieces, will weight 516 pounds. STeel
      ballast
      > could be fittee by filling more bays forward and aft. It should be
      > possible at first to move it around to find the best trim as
      usually
      > loaded (use live ballast to try the effect), but as soon as
      possible
      > it should be bolted down to keep it from sliding around and,
      ideally,
      > not to gall out if the boat should get bottom-up as could happen
      in a
      > big breaking wave."

    • Paul Hardy
      Message 2 of 24 , Mar 4, 2007
        The bucks are only a bonus. I like the boat and mainly am building because
        it looks like it will suit my needs. Meeting others in the group when they
        come to see it will be more important than any dollars.

        Paul

        _____

        Guess that's a draw, Bruce. 500 pounds ain't exactly "massive"; but
        it is lead.
        Paul, if you're building this just to grab the prize money, guess you
        can count on my 20 bucks.
        Mark

        On Mar 4, 2007, at 9:36 AM, Bruce Hallman wrote:

        > On 3/4/07, Paul <p_hardy@hotmail. <mailto:p_hardy%40hotmail.com> com>
        wrote:

        >> The plans do not specify lead but I had already figured that it will
        >> need substantial ballast.
        >
        > Reading from the Superbrick (design#559) building key, note #61:
        >
        > "Ballast: There should be at least 500 pounds of ballast. It can be
        > in lead slabs or bricks across the boat under the floorboards, most if
        > not all in the bay just ahead of the 'C' bulkhead. A lead slab 1 1/4"
        > thick, 12" wide (fore and aft), and 7'0" across the boat, or the
        > equivalent in smaller pieces, will weight 516 pounds. STeel ballast
        > could be fittee by filling more bays forward and aft. It should be
        > possible at first to move it around to find the best trim as usually
        > loaded (use live ballast to try the effect), but as soon as possible
        > it should be bolted down to keep it from sliding around and, ideally,
        > not to gall out if the boat should get bottom-up as could happen in a
        > big breaking wave."

      • Howard Stephenson
        Message 3 of 24 , Mar 4, 2007
          -- not forgetting a battery, electrics, electronics, icebox, stove
          and gas bottles.

          Howard

          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Howard Stephenson"
          <howardstephenson@...> wrote:

          > displacement as drawn is only 3350 lb. You'd need
          > something like 40 sheets of plywood (3/8" ?) plus framing timber,
          > paint, glue, fasteners and fittings, outboard and fuel, sailing rig,
          > leeboard, water and tanks, soft furnishings, hatches, windows,
          > ground tackle, boat handling gear, dinghy, crew plus personal
          > effects, sink, Porta-potti, food, cooking utensils, crockery and
          > cutlery etc.
        • Kristine Bennett
          Message 4 of 24 , Mar 4, 2007
            One of the other ideas I had after seeing the shallow
            CAD drawings was put a little diesel with a straight
            shaft and gear in it, as just a slowpoke to beebop
            around the sound. And with a 12 to 18 Hp diesel you
            would really have to run her hard to burn more then
            3/4 gallon an hour. Then again the hull speed is
            something around 6.5 knots.

            The other thing is where are you going to get the
            weight to set her down in the water?

            OK so you have a small powerbarge that you can put a
            lot of people on and not sink it.

            Hey building her out of steel wouldn't be a bad way to
            go. But you may have more draft then you want to have.

            Blessings Krissie

            wrote:

            > Seeing Krissie's post and Bruce's idea of re-drawing
            > it to reduce
            > displacement made me wonder whether the whole hull
            > and deck could be
            > built of steel.
            >
            > But, with so many dead-flat panels, the shape is not
            > really suitable
            > for steel and the displacement as drawn is only 3350
            > lb. You'd need
            > something like 40 sheets of plywood (3/8" ?) plus
            > framing timber,
            > paint, glue, fasteners and fittings, outboard and
            > fuel, sailing rig,
            > leeboard, water and tanks, soft furnishings,
            > hatches, windows,
            > ground tackle, boat handling gear, dinghy, crew plus
            > personal
            > effects, sink, Porta-potti, food, cooking utensils,
            > crockery and
            > cutlery etc.
            >
            > With all that and the ballast Bruce has told us
            > about, there
            > wouldn't be much change left out of 3350 lb.
            >
            > Howard

            It's here! Your new message!
            Message 5 of 24 , Mar 4, 2007
              > This is interesting, my copy of the plans ends with #57 on page 3 of
              > the key, apparently I am missing a page.

              Paraphrasing page 4 of the Key, (covers about 1/3 of the page)

              57.cont.Stove recess to match stove. Drawers and cabinets to taste...
              58.Dresser with legroom...to be used as desk.
              59.Motor, ...5 1/2 knots max. with 6 hp motor, low pitch 3 or 4 blade propeller.
              60.Fuel tanks as convenient, strapped in place.
              61.Ballast...at least 500lbs, bolted down.
            • Paul
              Message 6 of 24 , Mar 4, 2007
                Thanks Bruce. I faxed Phil this afternoon and asked for a
                replacement page.

                Paul H.