Re: [bolger] Re: Superbrick modification? was Class IV Ostar Racer

  • Kristine Bennett
    Message 1 of 24 , Mar 4, 2007
      I was looking at the rendering of the Superbrick and
      think a sheet of steel formed to the hull would give
      you some of the ballast needed and it would also help
      with grounding.

      Yes I know you would need a bunch of counter sunk
      holes to bolt it on. But you could also drill and tape
      them and on the outside plug weld the holes to seal
      them.

      Blessings all Krissie

      http://hallman.org/bolger/Superbrick/AlternateSuperbrickHull.gif

      > > > http://hallman.org/bolger/Superbrick/althull.gif

      http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/265
    • Mark Albanese
      Message 2 of 24 , Mar 4, 2007
        Guess that's a draw, Bruce. 500 pounds ain't exactly "massive"; but
        it is lead.
        Paul, if you're building this just to grab the prize money, guess you
        can count on my 20 bucks.
        Mark

        On Mar 4, 2007, at 9:36 AM, Bruce Hallman wrote:

        > On 3/4/07, Paul <p_hardy@...> wrote:
        >>
        >> The plans do not specify lead but I had already figured that it will
        >> need substantial ballast.
        >
        > Reading from the Superbrick (design#559) building key, note #61:
        >
        > "Ballast: There should be at least 500 pounds of ballast. It can be
        > in lead slabs or bricks across the boat under the floorboards, most if
        > not all in the bay just ahead of the 'C' bulkhead. A lead slab 1 1/4"
        > thick, 12" wide (fore and aft), and 7'0" across the boat, or the
        > equivalent in smaller pieces, will weight 516 pounds. STeel ballast
        > could be fittee by filling more bays forward and aft. It should be
        > possible at first to move it around to find the best trim as usually
        > loaded (use live ballast to try the effect), but as soon as possible
        > it should be bolted down to keep it from sliding around and, ideally,
        > not to gall out if the boat should get bottom-up as could happen in a
        > big breaking wave."

      • Howard Stephenson
        Message 3 of 24 , Mar 4, 2007
          Seeing Krissie's post and Bruce's idea of re-drawing it to reduce
          displacement made me wonder whether the whole hull and deck could be
          built of steel.

          But, with so many dead-flat panels, the shape is not really suitable
          for steel and the displacement as drawn is only 3350 lb. You'd need
          something like 40 sheets of plywood (3/8" ?) plus framing timber,
          paint, glue, fasteners and fittings, outboard and fuel, sailing rig,
          leeboard, water and tanks, soft furnishings, hatches, windows,
          ground tackle, boat handling gear, dinghy, crew plus personal
          effects, sink, Porta-potti, food, cooking utensils, crockery and
          cutlery etc.

          With all that and the ballast Bruce has told us about, there
          wouldn't be much change left out of 3350 lb.

          Howard

          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Kristine Bennett <femmpaws@...>

          _______________
          > http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/265

        • Paul
          Message 4 of 24 , Mar 4, 2007
            This is interesting, my copy of the plans ends with #57 on page 3 of
            the key, apparently I am missing a page.

            > On 3/4/07, Paul <p_hardy@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > The plans do not specify lead but I had already figured that it
            will
            > > need substantial ballast.
            >
            > Reading from the Superbrick (design#559) building key, note #61:
            >
            > "Ballast: There should be at least 500 pounds of ballast. It can
            be
            > in lead slabs or bricks across the boat under the floorboards,
            most if
            > not all in the bay just ahead of the 'C' bulkhead. A lead slab 1
            1/4"
            > thick, 12" wide (fore and aft), and 7'0" across the boat, or the
            > equivalent in smaller pieces, will weight 516 pounds. STeel
            ballast
            > could be fittee by filling more bays forward and aft. It should be
            > possible at first to move it around to find the best trim as
            usually
            > loaded (use live ballast to try the effect), but as soon as
            possible
            > it should be bolted down to keep it from sliding around and,
            ideally,
            > not to gall out if the boat should get bottom-up as could happen
            in a
            > big breaking wave."

          • Paul Hardy
            Message 5 of 24 , Mar 4, 2007
              The bucks are only a bonus. I like the boat and mainly am building because
              it looks like it will suit my needs. Meeting others in the group when they
              come to see it will be more important than any dollars.

              Paul

              _____

              Guess that's a draw, Bruce. 500 pounds ain't exactly "massive"; but
              it is lead.
              Paul, if you're building this just to grab the prize money, guess you
              can count on my 20 bucks.
              Mark

              On Mar 4, 2007, at 9:36 AM, Bruce Hallman wrote:

              > On 3/4/07, Paul <p_hardy@hotmail. <mailto:p_hardy%40hotmail.com> com>
              wrote:

              >> The plans do not specify lead but I had already figured that it will
              >> need substantial ballast.
              >
              > Reading from the Superbrick (design#559) building key, note #61:
              >
              > "Ballast: There should be at least 500 pounds of ballast. It can be
              > in lead slabs or bricks across the boat under the floorboards, most if
              > not all in the bay just ahead of the 'C' bulkhead. A lead slab 1 1/4"
              > thick, 12" wide (fore and aft), and 7'0" across the boat, or the
              > equivalent in smaller pieces, will weight 516 pounds. STeel ballast
              > could be fittee by filling more bays forward and aft. It should be
              > possible at first to move it around to find the best trim as usually
              > loaded (use live ballast to try the effect), but as soon as possible
              > it should be bolted down to keep it from sliding around and, ideally,
              > not to gall out if the boat should get bottom-up as could happen in a
              > big breaking wave."

            • Howard Stephenson
              Message 6 of 24 , Mar 4, 2007
                -- not forgetting a battery, electrics, electronics, icebox, stove
                and gas bottles.

                Howard

                --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Howard Stephenson"
                <howardstephenson@...> wrote:

                > displacement as drawn is only 3350 lb. You'd need
                > something like 40 sheets of plywood (3/8" ?) plus framing timber,
                > paint, glue, fasteners and fittings, outboard and fuel, sailing rig,
                > leeboard, water and tanks, soft furnishings, hatches, windows,
                > ground tackle, boat handling gear, dinghy, crew plus personal
                > effects, sink, Porta-potti, food, cooking utensils, crockery and
                > cutlery etc.
              • Kristine Bennett
                Message 7 of 24 , Mar 4, 2007
                  One of the other ideas I had after seeing the shallow
                  CAD drawings was put a little diesel with a straight
                  shaft and gear in it, as just a slowpoke to beebop
                  around the sound. And with a 12 to 18 Hp diesel you
                  would really have to run her hard to burn more then
                  3/4 gallon an hour. Then again the hull speed is
                  something around 6.5 knots.

                  The other thing is where are you going to get the
                  weight to set her down in the water?

                  OK so you have a small powerbarge that you can put a
                  lot of people on and not sink it.

                  Hey building her out of steel wouldn't be a bad way to
                  go. But you may have more draft then you want to have.

                  Blessings Krissie

                  wrote:

                  > Seeing Krissie's post and Bruce's idea of re-drawing
                  > it to reduce
                  > displacement made me wonder whether the whole hull
                  > and deck could be
                  > built of steel.
                  >
                  > But, with so many dead-flat panels, the shape is not
                  > really suitable
                  > for steel and the displacement as drawn is only 3350
                  > lb. You'd need
                  > something like 40 sheets of plywood (3/8" ?) plus
                  > framing timber,
                  > paint, glue, fasteners and fittings, outboard and
                  > fuel, sailing rig,
                  > leeboard, water and tanks, soft furnishings,
                  > hatches, windows,
                  > ground tackle, boat handling gear, dinghy, crew plus
                  > personal
                  > effects, sink, Porta-potti, food, cooking utensils,
                  > crockery and
                  > cutlery etc.
                  >
                  > With all that and the ballast Bruce has told us
                  > about, there
                  > wouldn't be much change left out of 3350 lb.
                  >
                  > Howard

                  It's here! Your new message!
                  Message 8 of 24 , Mar 4, 2007
                    > This is interesting, my copy of the plans ends with #57 on page 3 of
                    > the key, apparently I am missing a page.

                    Paraphrasing page 4 of the Key, (covers about 1/3 of the page)

                    57.cont.Stove recess to match stove. Drawers and cabinets to taste...
                    58.Dresser with legroom...to be used as desk.
                    59.Motor, ...5 1/2 knots max. with 6 hp motor, low pitch 3 or 4 blade propeller.
                    60.Fuel tanks as convenient, strapped in place.
                    61.Ballast...at least 500lbs, bolted down.
                  • Paul
                    Message 9 of 24 , Mar 4, 2007
                      Thanks Bruce. I faxed Phil this afternoon and asked for a
                      replacement page.

                      Paul H.