Re: [bolger] Superbrick modification? was Class IV Ostar Racer

  • Mark Albanese
    Message 1 of 24 , Mar 4, 2007
      Bruce, I'm looking at the Superbrick drawings but cannot find the
      lead. It isn't needed. The DWL is only at 3350#. Say a long ton on
      the structure and a 1000 for a payload?
      I really liked you own drawing, but didn't expect the step garvey
      when you wrote "easing the chines". Just slicing them off be yet
      another way to do it.

      Mark
      > snip

      > the massive volume of the hull requires massive lead ballast to
      > get the hull to float down on waterline.
      >
      > By 'easing' the chine, you can set between trailer wheels, plus you
      > can reduce the amount of needed lead ballast.
      >
      > It has the problem that it complicates the cabin, especially impeding
      > on the standing headroom in the toilet.
      >
      > http://hallman.org/bolger/Superbrick/AlternateSuperbrickHull.gif
      >
      > http://hallman.org/bolger/Superbrick/althull.gif

    • Paul
      Message 2 of 24 , Mar 4, 2007
        That is my plan, though someone else had contacted me (maybe it was
        a group post too) that they were looking at building one as well but
        I haven't heard anymore from them and I'm not sure if they had even
        bought the plans.

        Its a boat that deserves a shot at reality.

        Paul H.

        > This will be the prize winning first constructed Superbrick
        correct?

        > HJ
        >
        > Paul wrote:
        > > Bruce,
        > > What was your idea for a superbrick modification? I have been
        building
        > > bits of mine over the winter and hope to have the lower hull
        assembled
        > > by the end of March. Cold weather and an unheated work shop
        slowed me
        > > down over the winter but now I am trying to make up for lost
        time.

        > > Paul H.

      • Paul
        Message 3 of 24 , Mar 4, 2007
          Yes, I had found out about the superbrick because of an article I
          think on Duckworks that I found when researching Bolger designs and
          had checked in with the group a while back when I first started to
          find out if the challenge was still open.

          Paul H.

          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Mark Albanese <marka@...> wrote:

          > Bruce's alternative has some very nice curves and would suit some
          > requirements perfectly, but you're after the high volume barge.
          > That trailer will certainly do it.
          >
          > Did you know there was a prize?
          > Mark
          >

          > On Mar 3, 2007, at 6:00 PM, Paul wrote:
          >
          > > Its an interesting change, though it also negates some of the
          things
          > > I like about the interior (such as the standup head) and
          complicates
          > > construction. The simplicity of the design is one of the things
          > > that attracted me to it in the first place.
          > >
          > > My way of addressing the trailering issue is to use an old car
          > > hauling trailer that is being extensively modified for
          superbrick.
          > > Rollers on the bed and the ramps will allow using the ramps and a
          > > good winch to get her on and off the trailer. It still stands
          > > taller than I would like but it won't be trailed often.
          > >
          > > The same trailer will be used as a construction platform. It is
          > > currently being renovated while I complete the lower hull panels.
          > > When the lower hull goes up (hopefully by the end of this month)
          > > will be posting some pictures.
          > >
          > > Paul H.

        • Paul
          Message 4 of 24 , Mar 4, 2007
            According to Bruce Hector's post in duckworks
            http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/03/r/articles/superbrick/index.htm

            To win the pledges the builder must;

            A: Build a recognizable Bolger Superbrick from Phil Bolger & Friends
            supplied plans (currently $200) that follows the spirit (as Phil
            says, exercise creativity ONLY above the waterline!).

            B: Sail or wallow (with or without the help of a motor, scull or
            oars!) around a 1 mile triangular course with the sail up.

            C: At the owners/builders convenience permit the pledgers to inspect
            and/or ride in the said Superbrick. Since making friends is the best
            part of owning a unique vessl (and a Superbrick will lead to MANY
            dockside conversations, believe me!) this should not be too onerous.

            Not too difficult a set of requirements and should lead to meeting
            some of ya'll for a few beers on the boat.

            Paul H.

            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Mark Albanese <marka@...> wrote:

            > On Mar 3, 2007, at 10:31 PM, Harry James wrote:
            >
            > > This will be the prize winning first constructed Superbrick
            correct?

            > > HJ
            >

            > Any rules beyond it must sail?

          • Paul
            Message 5 of 24 , Mar 4, 2007
              The plans do not specify lead but I had already figured that it will
              need substantial ballast. Have been accumulating large amounts of
              wheel weights from a friend who runs a tire store for several months
              now. Both superbrick and my other boat project, a Sam Devlin Winter
              Wren started by Dave Lipsey will require a good bit of it and I am
              casting it into bricks that can be used in either project. Devlin's
              plans call for lead bricks and shot cast in epoxy rather than
              casting the entire keel and I will use this with superbrick as well.

              BTW, the boat will be named Irresponsible, the name taken from the
              last paragraph in Bolger's article on it in BWAOM:

              "Irresponsible. A gratuitous mockery of right-thinking boatmen and
              other snobs."

              Being one who has always been a little different that line was what
              clenched the deal for me on building her and seemed the perfect name.

              Message 6 of 24 , Mar 4, 2007
                On 3/4/07, Paul <p_hardy@...> wrote:

                > The plans do not specify lead but I had already figured that it will
                > need substantial ballast.

                Reading from the Superbrick (design#559) building key, note #61:

                "Ballast: There should be at least 500 pounds of ballast. It can be
                in lead slabs or bricks across the boat under the floorboards, most if
                not all in the bay just ahead of the 'C' bulkhead. A lead slab 1 1/4"
                thick, 12" wide (fore and aft), and 7'0" across the boat, or the
                equivalent in smaller pieces, will weight 516 pounds. STeel ballast
                could be fittee by filling more bays forward and aft. It should be
                possible at first to move it around to find the best trim as usually
                loaded (use live ballast to try the effect), but as soon as possible
                it should be bolted down to keep it from sliding around and, ideally,
                not to gall out if the boat should get bottom-up as could happen in a
                big breaking wave."
              • Kristine Bennett
                Message 7 of 24 , Mar 4, 2007
                  I was looking at the rendering of the Superbrick and
                  think a sheet of steel formed to the hull would give
                  you some of the ballast needed and it would also help
                  with grounding.

                  Yes I know you would need a bunch of counter sunk
                  holes to bolt it on. But you could also drill and tape
                  them and on the outside plug weld the holes to seal
                  them.

                  Blessings all Krissie

                  http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/265
                • Mark Albanese
                  Message 8 of 24 , Mar 4, 2007
                    Guess that's a draw, Bruce. 500 pounds ain't exactly "massive"; but
                    it is lead.
                    Paul, if you're building this just to grab the prize money, guess you
                    can count on my 20 bucks.
                    Mark

                    On Mar 4, 2007, at 9:36 AM, Bruce Hallman wrote:

                    > On 3/4/07, Paul <p_hardy@...> wrote:
                    >>
                    >> The plans do not specify lead but I had already figured that it will
                    >> need substantial ballast.
                    >
                    > Reading from the Superbrick (design#559) building key, note #61:
                    >
                    > "Ballast: There should be at least 500 pounds of ballast. It can be
                    > in lead slabs or bricks across the boat under the floorboards, most if
                    > not all in the bay just ahead of the 'C' bulkhead. A lead slab 1 1/4"
                    > thick, 12" wide (fore and aft), and 7'0" across the boat, or the
                    > equivalent in smaller pieces, will weight 516 pounds. STeel ballast
                    > could be fittee by filling more bays forward and aft. It should be
                    > possible at first to move it around to find the best trim as usually
                    > loaded (use live ballast to try the effect), but as soon as possible
                    > it should be bolted down to keep it from sliding around and, ideally,
                    > not to gall out if the boat should get bottom-up as could happen in a
                    > big breaking wave."

                  • Howard Stephenson
                    Message 9 of 24 , Mar 4, 2007
                      Seeing Krissie's post and Bruce's idea of re-drawing it to reduce
                      displacement made me wonder whether the whole hull and deck could be
                      built of steel.

                      But, with so many dead-flat panels, the shape is not really suitable
                      for steel and the displacement as drawn is only 3350 lb. You'd need
                      something like 40 sheets of plywood (3/8" ?) plus framing timber,
                      paint, glue, fasteners and fittings, outboard and fuel, sailing rig,
                      leeboard, water and tanks, soft furnishings, hatches, windows,
                      ground tackle, boat handling gear, dinghy, crew plus personal
                      effects, sink, Porta-potti, food, cooking utensils, crockery and
                      cutlery etc.

                      With all that and the ballast Bruce has told us about, there
                      wouldn't be much change left out of 3350 lb.

                      Howard

                      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Kristine Bennett <femmpaws@...>

                      _______________

                      Message 10 of 24 , Mar 4, 2007
                        This is interesting, my copy of the plans ends with #57 on page 3 of
                        the key, apparently I am missing a page.

                        > On 3/4/07, Paul <p_hardy@...> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > The plans do not specify lead but I had already figured that it
                        will
                        > > need substantial ballast.
                        >
                        > Reading from the Superbrick (design#559) building key, note #61:
                        >
                        > "Ballast: There should be at least 500 pounds of ballast. It can
                        be
                        > in lead slabs or bricks across the boat under the floorboards,
                        most if
                        > not all in the bay just ahead of the 'C' bulkhead. A lead slab 1
                        1/4"
                        > thick, 12" wide (fore and aft), and 7'0" across the boat, or the
                        > equivalent in smaller pieces, will weight 516 pounds. STeel
                        ballast
                        > could be fittee by filling more bays forward and aft. It should be
                        > possible at first to move it around to find the best trim as
                        usually
                        > loaded (use live ballast to try the effect), but as soon as
                        possible
                        > it should be bolted down to keep it from sliding around and,
                        ideally,
                        > not to gall out if the boat should get bottom-up as could happen
                        in a
                        > big breaking wave."

                      • Paul Hardy
                        Message 11 of 24 , Mar 4, 2007
                          The bucks are only a bonus. I like the boat and mainly am building because
                          it looks like it will suit my needs. Meeting others in the group when they
                          come to see it will be more important than any dollars.

                          Paul

                          _____

                          Guess that's a draw, Bruce. 500 pounds ain't exactly "massive"; but
                          it is lead.
                          Paul, if you're building this just to grab the prize money, guess you
                          can count on my 20 bucks.
                          Mark

                          On Mar 4, 2007, at 9:36 AM, Bruce Hallman wrote:

                          > On 3/4/07, Paul <p_hardy@hotmail. <mailto:p_hardy%40hotmail.com> com>
                          wrote:

                          >> The plans do not specify lead but I had already figured that it will
                          >> need substantial ballast.
                          >
                          > Reading from the Superbrick (design#559) building key, note #61:
                          >
                          > "Ballast: There should be at least 500 pounds of ballast. It can be
                          > in lead slabs or bricks across the boat under the floorboards, most if
                          > not all in the bay just ahead of the 'C' bulkhead. A lead slab 1 1/4"
                          > thick, 12" wide (fore and aft), and 7'0" across the boat, or the
                          > equivalent in smaller pieces, will weight 516 pounds. STeel ballast
                          > could be fittee by filling more bays forward and aft. It should be
                          > possible at first to move it around to find the best trim as usually
                          > loaded (use live ballast to try the effect), but as soon as possible
                          > it should be bolted down to keep it from sliding around and, ideally,
                          > not to gall out if the boat should get bottom-up as could happen in a
                          > big breaking wave."

                        • Howard Stephenson
                          Message 12 of 24 , Mar 4, 2007
                            -- not forgetting a battery, electrics, electronics, icebox, stove
                            and gas bottles.

                            Howard

                            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Howard Stephenson"
                            <howardstephenson@...> wrote:

                            > displacement as drawn is only 3350 lb. You'd need
                            > something like 40 sheets of plywood (3/8" ?) plus framing timber,
                            > paint, glue, fasteners and fittings, outboard and fuel, sailing rig,
                            > leeboard, water and tanks, soft furnishings, hatches, windows,
                            > ground tackle, boat handling gear, dinghy, crew plus personal
                            > effects, sink, Porta-potti, food, cooking utensils, crockery and
                            > cutlery etc.
                          • Kristine Bennett
                            Message 13 of 24 , Mar 4, 2007
                              One of the other ideas I had after seeing the shallow
                              CAD drawings was put a little diesel with a straight
                              shaft and gear in it, as just a slowpoke to beebop
                              around the sound. And with a 12 to 18 Hp diesel you
                              would really have to run her hard to burn more then
                              3/4 gallon an hour. Then again the hull speed is
                              something around 6.5 knots.

                              The other thing is where are you going to get the
                              weight to set her down in the water?

                              OK so you have a small powerbarge that you can put a
                              lot of people on and not sink it.

                              Hey building her out of steel wouldn't be a bad way to
                              go. But you may have more draft then you want to have.

                              Blessings Krissie

                              wrote:

                              > Seeing Krissie's post and Bruce's idea of re-drawing
                              > it to reduce
                              > displacement made me wonder whether the whole hull
                              > and deck could be
                              > built of steel.
                              >
                              > But, with so many dead-flat panels, the shape is not
                              > really suitable
                              > for steel and the displacement as drawn is only 3350
                              > lb. You'd need
                              > something like 40 sheets of plywood (3/8" ?) plus
                              > framing timber,
                              > paint, glue, fasteners and fittings, outboard and
                              > fuel, sailing rig,
                              > leeboard, water and tanks, soft furnishings,
                              > hatches, windows,
                              > ground tackle, boat handling gear, dinghy, crew plus
                              > personal
                              > effects, sink, Porta-potti, food, cooking utensils,
                              > crockery and
                              > cutlery etc.
                              >
                              > With all that and the ballast Bruce has told us
                              > about, there
                              > wouldn't be much change left out of 3350 lb.
                              >
                              > Howard

                              It's here! Your new message!
                              Message 14 of 24 , Mar 4, 2007
                                > This is interesting, my copy of the plans ends with #57 on page 3 of
                                > the key, apparently I am missing a page.

                                Paraphrasing page 4 of the Key, (covers about 1/3 of the page)

                                57.cont.Stove recess to match stove. Drawers and cabinets to taste...
                                58.Dresser with legroom...to be used as desk.
                                59.Motor, ...5 1/2 knots max. with 6 hp motor, low pitch 3 or 4 blade propeller.
                                60.Fuel tanks as convenient, strapped in place.
                                61.Ballast...at least 500lbs, bolted down.
                              • Paul
                                Message 15 of 24 , Mar 4, 2007
                                  Thanks Bruce. I faxed Phil this afternoon and asked for a
                                  replacement page.

                                  Paul H.