Re: [bolger] Superbrick modification? was Class IV Ostar Racer

  • Harry James
    Message 1 of 24 , Mar 3, 2007
      This will be the prize winning first constructed Superbrick correct?

      HJ

      Paul wrote:
      > Bruce,
      > What was your idea for a superbrick modification? I have been building
      > bits of mine over the winter and hope to have the lower hull assembled
      > by the end of March. Cold weather and an unheated work shop slowed me
      > down over the winter but now I am trying to make up for lost time.
      >
      > Paul H.

    • Mark Albanese
      Message 2 of 24 , Mar 4, 2007
        Bruce's alternative has some very nice curves and would suit some
        requirements perfectly, but you're after the high volume barge.
        That trailer will certainly do it.

        Did you know there was a prize?
        Mark

        On Mar 3, 2007, at 6:00 PM, Paul wrote:

        > Its an interesting change, though it also negates some of the things
        > I like about the interior (such as the standup head) and complicates
        > construction. The simplicity of the design is one of the things
        > that attracted me to it in the first place.
        >
        > My way of addressing the trailering issue is to use an old car
        > hauling trailer that is being extensively modified for superbrick.
        > Rollers on the bed and the ramps will allow using the ramps and a
        > good winch to get her on and off the trailer. It still stands
        > taller than I would like but it won't be trailed often.
        >
        > The same trailer will be used as a construction platform. It is
        > currently being renovated while I complete the lower hull panels.
        > When the lower hull goes up (hopefully by the end of this month) I
        > will be posting some pictures.
        >
        > Paul H.

      • Mark Albanese
        Message 3 of 24 , Mar 4, 2007
          On Mar 3, 2007, at 10:31 PM, Harry James wrote:

          > This will be the prize winning first constructed Superbrick correct?
          >
          > HJ

          Any rules beyond it must sail?
        • Mark Albanese
          Message 4 of 24 , Mar 4, 2007
            Bruce, I'm looking at the Superbrick drawings but cannot find the
            lead. It isn't needed. The DWL is only at 3350#. Say a long ton on
            the structure and a 1000 for a payload?
            I really liked you own drawing, but didn't expect the step garvey
            when you wrote "easing the chines". Just slicing them off be yet
            another way to do it.

            Mark
            > snip

            > the massive volume of the hull requires massive lead ballast to
            > get the hull to float down on waterline.
            >
            > By 'easing' the chine, you can set between trailer wheels, plus you
            > can reduce the amount of needed lead ballast.
            >
            > It has the problem that it complicates the cabin, especially impeding
            > on the standing headroom in the toilet.
            >
            > http://hallman.org/bolger/Superbrick/AlternateSuperbrickHull.gif
            >
            > http://hallman.org/bolger/Superbrick/althull.gif

          • Paul
            Message 5 of 24 , Mar 4, 2007
              That is my plan, though someone else had contacted me (maybe it was
              a group post too) that they were looking at building one as well but
              I haven't heard anymore from them and I'm not sure if they had even
              bought the plans.

              Its a boat that deserves a shot at reality.

              Paul H.

              > This will be the prize winning first constructed Superbrick
              correct?

              > HJ
              >
              > Paul wrote:
              > > Bruce,
              > > What was your idea for a superbrick modification? I have been
              building
              > > bits of mine over the winter and hope to have the lower hull
              assembled
              > > by the end of March. Cold weather and an unheated work shop
              slowed me
              > > down over the winter but now I am trying to make up for lost
              time.

              > > Paul H.

            • Paul
              Message 6 of 24 , Mar 4, 2007
                Yes, I had found out about the superbrick because of an article I
                think on Duckworks that I found when researching Bolger designs and
                had checked in with the group a while back when I first started to
                find out if the challenge was still open.

                Paul H.

                --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Mark Albanese <marka@...> wrote:

                > Bruce's alternative has some very nice curves and would suit some
                > requirements perfectly, but you're after the high volume barge.
                > That trailer will certainly do it.
                >
                > Did you know there was a prize?
                > Mark
                >

                > On Mar 3, 2007, at 6:00 PM, Paul wrote:
                >
                > > Its an interesting change, though it also negates some of the
                things
                > > I like about the interior (such as the standup head) and
                complicates
                > > construction. The simplicity of the design is one of the things
                > > that attracted me to it in the first place.
                > >
                > > My way of addressing the trailering issue is to use an old car
                > > hauling trailer that is being extensively modified for
                superbrick.
                > > Rollers on the bed and the ramps will allow using the ramps and a
                > > good winch to get her on and off the trailer. It still stands
                > > taller than I would like but it won't be trailed often.
                > >
                > > The same trailer will be used as a construction platform. It is
                > > currently being renovated while I complete the lower hull panels.
                > > When the lower hull goes up (hopefully by the end of this month)
                > > will be posting some pictures.
                > >
                > > Paul H.

              • Paul
                Message 7 of 24 , Mar 4, 2007
                  According to Bruce Hector's post in duckworks
                  http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/03/r/articles/superbrick/index.htm

                  To win the pledges the builder must;

                  A: Build a recognizable Bolger Superbrick from Phil Bolger & Friends
                  supplied plans (currently $200) that follows the spirit (as Phil
                  says, exercise creativity ONLY above the waterline!).

                  B: Sail or wallow (with or without the help of a motor, scull or
                  oars!) around a 1 mile triangular course with the sail up.

                  C: At the owners/builders convenience permit the pledgers to inspect
                  and/or ride in the said Superbrick. Since making friends is the best
                  part of owning a unique vessl (and a Superbrick will lead to MANY
                  dockside conversations, believe me!) this should not be too onerous.

                  Not too difficult a set of requirements and should lead to meeting
                  some of ya'll for a few beers on the boat.

                  Message 8 of 24 , Mar 4, 2007
                    The plans do not specify lead but I had already figured that it will
                    need substantial ballast. Have been accumulating large amounts of
                    wheel weights from a friend who runs a tire store for several months
                    now. Both superbrick and my other boat project, a Sam Devlin Winter
                    Wren started by Dave Lipsey will require a good bit of it and I am
                    casting it into bricks that can be used in either project. Devlin's
                    plans call for lead bricks and shot cast in epoxy rather than
                    casting the entire keel and I will use this with superbrick as well.

                    BTW, the boat will be named Irresponsible, the name taken from the
                    last paragraph in Bolger's article on it in BWAOM:

                    "Irresponsible. A gratuitous mockery of right-thinking boatmen and
                    other snobs."

                    Being one who has always been a little different that line was what
                    clenched the deal for me on building her and seemed the perfect name.

                    Message 9 of 24 , Mar 4, 2007
                      On 3/4/07, Paul <p_hardy@...> wrote:

                      > The plans do not specify lead but I had already figured that it will
                      > need substantial ballast.

                      Reading from the Superbrick (design#559) building key, note #61:

                      "Ballast: There should be at least 500 pounds of ballast. It can be
                      in lead slabs or bricks across the boat under the floorboards, most if
                      not all in the bay just ahead of the 'C' bulkhead. A lead slab 1 1/4"
                      thick, 12" wide (fore and aft), and 7'0" across the boat, or the
                      equivalent in smaller pieces, will weight 516 pounds. STeel ballast
                      could be fittee by filling more bays forward and aft. It should be
                      possible at first to move it around to find the best trim as usually
                      loaded (use live ballast to try the effect), but as soon as possible
                      it should be bolted down to keep it from sliding around and, ideally,
                      not to gall out if the boat should get bottom-up as could happen in a
                      big breaking wave."
                    • Kristine Bennett
                      Message 10 of 24 , Mar 4, 2007
                        I was looking at the rendering of the Superbrick and
                        think a sheet of steel formed to the hull would give
                        you some of the ballast needed and it would also help
                        with grounding.

                        Yes I know you would need a bunch of counter sunk
                        holes to bolt it on. But you could also drill and tape
                        them and on the outside plug weld the holes to seal
                        them.

                        Blessings all Krissie

                        http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/265
                      • Mark Albanese
                        Message 11 of 24 , Mar 4, 2007
                          Guess that's a draw, Bruce. 500 pounds ain't exactly "massive"; but
                          it is lead.
                          Paul, if you're building this just to grab the prize money, guess you
                          can count on my 20 bucks.
                          Mark

                          On Mar 4, 2007, at 9:36 AM, Bruce Hallman wrote:

                          > On 3/4/07, Paul <p_hardy@...> wrote:
                          >>
                          >> The plans do not specify lead but I had already figured that it will
                          >> need substantial ballast.
                          >
                          > Reading from the Superbrick (design#559) building key, note #61:
                          >
                          > "Ballast: There should be at least 500 pounds of ballast. It can be
                          > in lead slabs or bricks across the boat under the floorboards, most if
                          > not all in the bay just ahead of the 'C' bulkhead. A lead slab 1 1/4"
                          > thick, 12" wide (fore and aft), and 7'0" across the boat, or the
                          > equivalent in smaller pieces, will weight 516 pounds. STeel ballast
                          > could be fittee by filling more bays forward and aft. It should be
                          > possible at first to move it around to find the best trim as usually
                          > loaded (use live ballast to try the effect), but as soon as possible
                          > it should be bolted down to keep it from sliding around and, ideally,
                          > not to gall out if the boat should get bottom-up as could happen in a
                          > big breaking wave."

                        • Howard Stephenson
                          Message 12 of 24 , Mar 4, 2007
                            Seeing Krissie's post and Bruce's idea of re-drawing it to reduce
                            displacement made me wonder whether the whole hull and deck could be
                            built of steel.

                            But, with so many dead-flat panels, the shape is not really suitable
                            for steel and the displacement as drawn is only 3350 lb. You'd need
                            something like 40 sheets of plywood (3/8" ?) plus framing timber,
                            paint, glue, fasteners and fittings, outboard and fuel, sailing rig,
                            leeboard, water and tanks, soft furnishings, hatches, windows,
                            ground tackle, boat handling gear, dinghy, crew plus personal
                            effects, sink, Porta-potti, food, cooking utensils, crockery and
                            cutlery etc.

                            With all that and the ballast Bruce has told us about, there
                            wouldn't be much change left out of 3350 lb.

                            Howard

                            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Kristine Bennett <femmpaws@...>

                            _______________

                            Message 13 of 24 , Mar 4, 2007
                              This is interesting, my copy of the plans ends with #57 on page 3 of
                              the key, apparently I am missing a page.

                              > On 3/4/07, Paul <p_hardy@...> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > The plans do not specify lead but I had already figured that it
                              will
                              > > need substantial ballast.
                              >
                              > Reading from the Superbrick (design#559) building key, note #61:
                              >
                              > "Ballast: There should be at least 500 pounds of ballast. It can
                              be
                              > in lead slabs or bricks across the boat under the floorboards,
                              most if
                              > not all in the bay just ahead of the 'C' bulkhead. A lead slab 1
                              1/4"
                              > thick, 12" wide (fore and aft), and 7'0" across the boat, or the
                              > equivalent in smaller pieces, will weight 516 pounds. STeel
                              ballast
                              > could be fittee by filling more bays forward and aft. It should be
                              > possible at first to move it around to find the best trim as
                              usually
                              > loaded (use live ballast to try the effect), but as soon as
                              possible
                              > it should be bolted down to keep it from sliding around and,
                              ideally,
                              > not to gall out if the boat should get bottom-up as could happen
                              in a
                              > big breaking wave."

                            • Paul Hardy
                              Message 14 of 24 , Mar 4, 2007
                                The bucks are only a bonus. I like the boat and mainly am building because
                                it looks like it will suit my needs. Meeting others in the group when they
                                come to see it will be more important than any dollars.

                                Paul

                                _____

                                Guess that's a draw, Bruce. 500 pounds ain't exactly "massive"; but
                                it is lead.
                                Paul, if you're building this just to grab the prize money, guess you
                                can count on my 20 bucks.
                                Mark

                                On Mar 4, 2007, at 9:36 AM, Bruce Hallman wrote:

                                > On 3/4/07, Paul <p_hardy@hotmail. <mailto:p_hardy%40hotmail.com> com>
                                wrote:

                                >> The plans do not specify lead but I had already figured that it will
                                >> need substantial ballast.
                                >
                                > Reading from the Superbrick (design#559) building key, note #61:
                                >
                                > "Ballast: There should be at least 500 pounds of ballast. It can be
                                > in lead slabs or bricks across the boat under the floorboards, most if
                                > not all in the bay just ahead of the 'C' bulkhead. A lead slab 1 1/4"
                                > thick, 12" wide (fore and aft), and 7'0" across the boat, or the
                                > equivalent in smaller pieces, will weight 516 pounds. STeel ballast
                                > could be fittee by filling more bays forward and aft. It should be
                                > possible at first to move it around to find the best trim as usually
                                > loaded (use live ballast to try the effect), but as soon as possible
                                > it should be bolted down to keep it from sliding around and, ideally,
                                > not to gall out if the boat should get bottom-up as could happen in a
                                > big breaking wave."

                              • Howard Stephenson
                                Message 15 of 24 , Mar 4, 2007
                                  -- not forgetting a battery, electrics, electronics, icebox, stove
                                  and gas bottles.

                                  Howard

                                  --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Howard Stephenson"
                                  <howardstephenson@...> wrote:

                                  > displacement as drawn is only 3350 lb. You'd need
                                  > something like 40 sheets of plywood (3/8" ?) plus framing timber,
                                  > paint, glue, fasteners and fittings, outboard and fuel, sailing rig,
                                  > leeboard, water and tanks, soft furnishings, hatches, windows,
                                  > ground tackle, boat handling gear, dinghy, crew plus personal
                                  > effects, sink, Porta-potti, food, cooking utensils, crockery and
                                  > cutlery etc.
                                • Kristine Bennett
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Mar 4, 2007
                                    One of the other ideas I had after seeing the shallow
                                    CAD drawings was put a little diesel with a straight
                                    shaft and gear in it, as just a slowpoke to beebop
                                    around the sound. And with a 12 to 18 Hp diesel you
                                    would really have to run her hard to burn more then
                                    3/4 gallon an hour. Then again the hull speed is
                                    something around 6.5 knots.

                                    The other thing is where are you going to get the
                                    weight to set her down in the water?

                                    OK so you have a small powerbarge that you can put a
                                    lot of people on and not sink it.

                                    Hey building her out of steel wouldn't be a bad way to
                                    go. But you may have more draft then you want to have.

                                    Blessings Krissie

                                    wrote:

                                    > Seeing Krissie's post and Bruce's idea of re-drawing
                                    > it to reduce
                                    > displacement made me wonder whether the whole hull
                                    > and deck could be
                                    > built of steel.
                                    >
                                    > But, with so many dead-flat panels, the shape is not
                                    > really suitable
                                    > for steel and the displacement as drawn is only 3350
                                    > lb. You'd need
                                    > something like 40 sheets of plywood (3/8" ?) plus
                                    > framing timber,
                                    > paint, glue, fasteners and fittings, outboard and
                                    > fuel, sailing rig,
                                    > leeboard, water and tanks, soft furnishings,
                                    > hatches, windows,
                                    > ground tackle, boat handling gear, dinghy, crew plus
                                    > personal
                                    > effects, sink, Porta-potti, food, cooking utensils,
                                    > crockery and
                                    > cutlery etc.
                                    >
                                    > With all that and the ballast Bruce has told us
                                    > about, there
                                    > wouldn't be much change left out of 3350 lb.
                                    >
                                    > Howard

                                    It's here! Your new message!
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Mar 4, 2007
                                      > This is interesting, my copy of the plans ends with #57 on page 3 of
                                      > the key, apparently I am missing a page.

                                      Paraphrasing page 4 of the Key, (covers about 1/3 of the page)

                                      57.cont.Stove recess to match stove. Drawers and cabinets to taste...
                                      58.Dresser with legroom...to be used as desk.
                                      59.Motor, ...5 1/2 knots max. with 6 hp motor, low pitch 3 or 4 blade propeller.
                                      60.Fuel tanks as convenient, strapped in place.
                                      61.Ballast...at least 500lbs, bolted down.
                                    • Paul
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Mar 4, 2007
                                        Thanks Bruce. I faxed Phil this afternoon and asked for a
                                        replacement page.

                                        Paul H.