Superbrick modification? was Class IV Ostar Racer

  • Paul
    Message 1 of 24 , Mar 3, 2007
      Bruce,
      What was your idea for a superbrick modification? I have been building
      bits of mine over the winter and hope to have the lower hull assembled
      by the end of March. Cold weather and an unheated work shop slowed me
      down over the winter but now I am trying to make up for lost time.

      Paul H.

      Message 2 of 24 , Mar 3, 2007

        > Bruce,
        > What was your idea for a superbrick modification?

        The Superbrick doesn't settle nicely between two wheels of a trailer,
        plus the massive volume of the hull requires massive lead ballast to
        get the hull to float down on waterline.

        By 'easing' the chine, you can set between trailer wheels, plus you
        can reduce the amount of needed lead ballast.

        It has the problem that it complicates the cabin, especially impeding
        on the standing headroom in the toilet.

        http://hallman.org/bolger/Superbrick/AlternateSuperbrickHull.gif

        http://hallman.org/bolger/Superbrick/althull.gif
      • Paul
        Message 3 of 24 , Mar 3, 2007
          Its an interesting change, though it also negates some of the things
          I like about the interior (such as the standup head) and complicates
          construction. The simplicity of the design is one of the things
          that attracted me to it in the first place.

          My way of addressing the trailering issue is to use an old car
          hauling trailer that is being extensively modified for superbrick.
          Rollers on the bed and the ramps will allow using the ramps and a
          good winch to get her on and off the trailer. It still stands
          taller than I would like but it won't be trailed often.

          The same trailer will be used as a construction platform. It is
          currently being renovated while I complete the lower hull panels.
          When the lower hull goes up (hopefully by the end of this month) I
          will be posting some pictures.

          Paul H.

          > > Bruce,
          > > What was your idea for a superbrick modification?
          >
          > The Superbrick doesn't settle nicely between two wheels of a
          trailer,
          > plus the massive volume of the hull requires massive lead ballast
          > get the hull to float down on waterline.
          >
          > By 'easing' the chine, you can set between trailer wheels, plus you
          > can reduce the amount of needed lead ballast.
          >
          > It has the problem that it complicates the cabin, especially
          impeding
          > on the standing headroom in the toilet.
          >
          > http://hallman.org/bolger/Superbrick/AlternateSuperbrickHull.gif
          >
          > http://hallman.org/bolger/Superbrick/althull.gif

        • Harry James
          Message 4 of 24 , Mar 3, 2007
            This will be the prize winning first constructed Superbrick correct?

            HJ

            Paul wrote:
            > Bruce,
            > What was your idea for a superbrick modification? I have been building
            > bits of mine over the winter and hope to have the lower hull assembled
            > by the end of March. Cold weather and an unheated work shop slowed me
            > down over the winter but now I am trying to make up for lost time.
            >
            > Paul H.

          • Mark Albanese
            Message 5 of 24 , Mar 4, 2007
              Bruce's alternative has some very nice curves and would suit some
              requirements perfectly, but you're after the high volume barge.
              That trailer will certainly do it.

              Did you know there was a prize?
              Mark

              On Mar 3, 2007, at 6:00 PM, Paul wrote:

              > Its an interesting change, though it also negates some of the things
              > I like about the interior (such as the standup head) and complicates
              > construction. The simplicity of the design is one of the things
              > that attracted me to it in the first place.
              >
              > My way of addressing the trailering issue is to use an old car
              > hauling trailer that is being extensively modified for superbrick.
              > Rollers on the bed and the ramps will allow using the ramps and a
              > good winch to get her on and off the trailer. It still stands
              > taller than I would like but it won't be trailed often.
              >
              > The same trailer will be used as a construction platform. It is
              > currently being renovated while I complete the lower hull panels.
              > When the lower hull goes up (hopefully by the end of this month) I
              > will be posting some pictures.
              >
              > Paul H.

            • Mark Albanese
              Message 6 of 24 , Mar 4, 2007
                On Mar 3, 2007, at 10:31 PM, Harry James wrote:

                > This will be the prize winning first constructed Superbrick correct?
                >
                > HJ

                Any rules beyond it must sail?
              • Mark Albanese
                Message 7 of 24 , Mar 4, 2007
                  Bruce, I'm looking at the Superbrick drawings but cannot find the
                  lead. It isn't needed. The DWL is only at 3350#. Say a long ton on
                  the structure and a 1000 for a payload?
                  I really liked you own drawing, but didn't expect the step garvey
                  when you wrote "easing the chines". Just slicing them off be yet
                  another way to do it.

                  Mark

                  Message 8 of 24 , Mar 4, 2007
                    That is my plan, though someone else had contacted me (maybe it was
                    a group post too) that they were looking at building one as well but
                    I haven't heard anymore from them and I'm not sure if they had even
                    bought the plans.

                    Its a boat that deserves a shot at reality.

                    Paul H.

                    > This will be the prize winning first constructed Superbrick
                    correct?

                    > HJ
                    >
                    > Paul wrote:
                    > > Bruce,
                    > > What was your idea for a superbrick modification? I have been
                    building
                    > > bits of mine over the winter and hope to have the lower hull
                    assembled
                    > > by the end of March. Cold weather and an unheated work shop
                    slowed me
                    > > down over the winter but now I am trying to make up for lost
                    time.

                    > > Paul H.

                  • Paul
                    Message 9 of 24 , Mar 4, 2007
                      Yes, I had found out about the superbrick because of an article I
                      think on Duckworks that I found when researching Bolger designs and
                      had checked in with the group a while back when I first started to
                      find out if the challenge was still open.

                      Paul H.

                      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Mark Albanese <marka@...> wrote:

                      > Bruce's alternative has some very nice curves and would suit some
                      > requirements perfectly, but you're after the high volume barge.
                      > That trailer will certainly do it.
                      >
                      > Did you know there was a prize?
                      > Mark
                      >

                      > On Mar 3, 2007, at 6:00 PM, Paul wrote:
                      >
                      > > Its an interesting change, though it also negates some of the
                      things
                      > > I like about the interior (such as the standup head) and
                      complicates
                      > > construction. The simplicity of the design is one of the things
                      > > that attracted me to it in the first place.
                      > >
                      > > My way of addressing the trailering issue is to use an old car
                      > > hauling trailer that is being extensively modified for
                      superbrick.
                      > > Rollers on the bed and the ramps will allow using the ramps and a
                      > > good winch to get her on and off the trailer. It still stands
                      > > taller than I would like but it won't be trailed often.
                      > >
                      > > The same trailer will be used as a construction platform. It is
                      > > currently being renovated while I complete the lower hull panels.
                      > > When the lower hull goes up (hopefully by the end of this month)
                      > > will be posting some pictures.
                      > >
                      > > Paul H.

                    • Paul
                      Message 10 of 24 , Mar 4, 2007
                        According to Bruce Hector's post in duckworks
                        http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/03/r/articles/superbrick/index.htm

                        To win the pledges the builder must;

                        A: Build a recognizable Bolger Superbrick from Phil Bolger & Friends
                        supplied plans (currently $200) that follows the spirit (as Phil
                        says, exercise creativity ONLY above the waterline!).

                        B: Sail or wallow (with or without the help of a motor, scull or
                        oars!) around a 1 mile triangular course with the sail up.

                        C: At the owners/builders convenience permit the pledgers to inspect
                        and/or ride in the said Superbrick. Since making friends is the best
                        part of owning a unique vessl (and a Superbrick will lead to MANY
                        dockside conversations, believe me!) this should not be too onerous.

                        Not too difficult a set of requirements and should lead to meeting
                        some of ya'll for a few beers on the boat.

                        Message 11 of 24 , Mar 4, 2007
                          The plans do not specify lead but I had already figured that it will
                          need substantial ballast. Have been accumulating large amounts of
                          wheel weights from a friend who runs a tire store for several months
                          now. Both superbrick and my other boat project, a Sam Devlin Winter
                          Wren started by Dave Lipsey will require a good bit of it and I am
                          casting it into bricks that can be used in either project. Devlin's
                          plans call for lead bricks and shot cast in epoxy rather than
                          casting the entire keel and I will use this with superbrick as well.

                          BTW, the boat will be named Irresponsible, the name taken from the
                          last paragraph in Bolger's article on it in BWAOM:

                          "Irresponsible. A gratuitous mockery of right-thinking boatmen and
                          other snobs."

                          Being one who has always been a little different that line was what
                          clenched the deal for me on building her and seemed the perfect name.

                          Message 12 of 24 , Mar 4, 2007
                            On 3/4/07, Paul <p_hardy@...> wrote:

                            > The plans do not specify lead but I had already figured that it will
                            > need substantial ballast.

                            Reading from the Superbrick (design#559) building key, note #61:

                            "Ballast: There should be at least 500 pounds of ballast. It can be
                            in lead slabs or bricks across the boat under the floorboards, most if
                            not all in the bay just ahead of the 'C' bulkhead. A lead slab 1 1/4"
                            thick, 12" wide (fore and aft), and 7'0" across the boat, or the
                            equivalent in smaller pieces, will weight 516 pounds. STeel ballast
                            could be fittee by filling more bays forward and aft. It should be
                            possible at first to move it around to find the best trim as usually
                            loaded (use live ballast to try the effect), but as soon as possible
                            it should be bolted down to keep it from sliding around and, ideally,
                            not to gall out if the boat should get bottom-up as could happen in a
                            big breaking wave."
                          • Kristine Bennett
                            Message 13 of 24 , Mar 4, 2007
                              I was looking at the rendering of the Superbrick and
                              think a sheet of steel formed to the hull would give
                              you some of the ballast needed and it would also help
                              with grounding.

                              Yes I know you would need a bunch of counter sunk
                              holes to bolt it on. But you could also drill and tape
                              them and on the outside plug weld the holes to seal
                              them.

                              Blessings all Krissie

                              http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/265
                            • Mark Albanese
                              Message 14 of 24 , Mar 4, 2007
                                Guess that's a draw, Bruce. 500 pounds ain't exactly "massive"; but
                                it is lead.
                                Paul, if you're building this just to grab the prize money, guess you
                                can count on my 20 bucks.
                                Mark

                                On Mar 4, 2007, at 9:36 AM, Bruce Hallman wrote:

                                > On 3/4/07, Paul <p_hardy@...> wrote:
                                >>
                                >> The plans do not specify lead but I had already figured that it will
                                >> need substantial ballast.
                                >
                                > Reading from the Superbrick (design#559) building key, note #61:
                                >
                                > "Ballast: There should be at least 500 pounds of ballast. It can be
                                > in lead slabs or bricks across the boat under the floorboards, most if
                                > not all in the bay just ahead of the 'C' bulkhead. A lead slab 1 1/4"
                                > thick, 12" wide (fore and aft), and 7'0" across the boat, or the
                                > equivalent in smaller pieces, will weight 516 pounds. STeel ballast
                                > could be fittee by filling more bays forward and aft. It should be
                                > possible at first to move it around to find the best trim as usually
                                > loaded (use live ballast to try the effect), but as soon as possible
                                > it should be bolted down to keep it from sliding around and, ideally,
                                > not to gall out if the boat should get bottom-up as could happen in a
                                > big breaking wave."

                              • Howard Stephenson
                                Message 15 of 24 , Mar 4, 2007
                                  Seeing Krissie's post and Bruce's idea of re-drawing it to reduce
                                  displacement made me wonder whether the whole hull and deck could be
                                  built of steel.

                                  But, with so many dead-flat panels, the shape is not really suitable
                                  for steel and the displacement as drawn is only 3350 lb. You'd need
                                  something like 40 sheets of plywood (3/8" ?) plus framing timber,
                                  paint, glue, fasteners and fittings, outboard and fuel, sailing rig,
                                  leeboard, water and tanks, soft furnishings, hatches, windows,
                                  ground tackle, boat handling gear, dinghy, crew plus personal
                                  effects, sink, Porta-potti, food, cooking utensils, crockery and
                                  cutlery etc.

                                  With all that and the ballast Bruce has told us about, there
                                  wouldn't be much change left out of 3350 lb.

                                  Howard

                                  --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Kristine Bennett <femmpaws@...>

                                  _______________

                                  Message 16 of 24 , Mar 4, 2007
                                    This is interesting, my copy of the plans ends with #57 on page 3 of
                                    the key, apparently I am missing a page.

                                    > On 3/4/07, Paul <p_hardy@...> wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > The plans do not specify lead but I had already figured that it
                                    will
                                    > > need substantial ballast.
                                    >
                                    > Reading from the Superbrick (design#559) building key, note #61:
                                    >
                                    > "Ballast: There should be at least 500 pounds of ballast. It can
                                    be
                                    > in lead slabs or bricks across the boat under the floorboards,
                                    most if
                                    > not all in the bay just ahead of the 'C' bulkhead. A lead slab 1
                                    1/4"
                                    > thick, 12" wide (fore and aft), and 7'0" across the boat, or the
                                    > equivalent in smaller pieces, will weight 516 pounds. STeel
                                    ballast
                                    > could be fittee by filling more bays forward and aft. It should be
                                    > possible at first to move it around to find the best trim as
                                    usually
                                    > loaded (use live ballast to try the effect), but as soon as
                                    possible
                                    > it should be bolted down to keep it from sliding around and,
                                    ideally,
                                    > not to gall out if the boat should get bottom-up as could happen
                                    in a
                                    > big breaking wave."

                                  • Paul Hardy
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Mar 4, 2007
                                      The bucks are only a bonus. I like the boat and mainly am building because
                                      it looks like it will suit my needs. Meeting others in the group when they
                                      come to see it will be more important than any dollars.

                                      Paul

                                      _____

                                      Guess that's a draw, Bruce. 500 pounds ain't exactly "massive"; but
                                      it is lead.
                                      Paul, if you're building this just to grab the prize money, guess you
                                      can count on my 20 bucks.
                                      Mark

                                      On Mar 4, 2007, at 9:36 AM, Bruce Hallman wrote:

                                      > On 3/4/07, Paul <p_hardy@hotmail. <mailto:p_hardy%40hotmail.com> com>
                                      wrote:

                                      >> The plans do not specify lead but I had already figured that it will
                                      >> need substantial ballast.
                                      >
                                      > Reading from the Superbrick (design#559) building key, note #61:
                                      >
                                      > "Ballast: There should be at least 500 pounds of ballast. It can be
                                      > in lead slabs or bricks across the boat under the floorboards, most if
                                      > not all in the bay just ahead of the 'C' bulkhead. A lead slab 1 1/4"
                                      > thick, 12" wide (fore and aft), and 7'0" across the boat, or the
                                      > equivalent in smaller pieces, will weight 516 pounds. STeel ballast
                                      > could be fittee by filling more bays forward and aft. It should be
                                      > possible at first to move it around to find the best trim as usually
                                      > loaded (use live ballast to try the effect), but as soon as possible
                                      > it should be bolted down to keep it from sliding around and, ideally,
                                      > not to gall out if the boat should get bottom-up as could happen in a
                                      > big breaking wave."

                                    • Howard Stephenson
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Mar 4, 2007
                                        -- not forgetting a battery, electrics, electronics, icebox, stove
                                        and gas bottles.

                                        Howard

                                        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Howard Stephenson"
                                        <howardstephenson@...> wrote:

                                        > displacement as drawn is only 3350 lb. You'd need
                                        > something like 40 sheets of plywood (3/8" ?) plus framing timber,
                                        > paint, glue, fasteners and fittings, outboard and fuel, sailing rig,
                                        > leeboard, water and tanks, soft furnishings, hatches, windows,
                                        > ground tackle, boat handling gear, dinghy, crew plus personal
                                        > effects, sink, Porta-potti, food, cooking utensils, crockery and
                                        > cutlery etc.
                                      • Kristine Bennett
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Mar 4, 2007
                                          One of the other ideas I had after seeing the shallow
                                          CAD drawings was put a little diesel with a straight
                                          shaft and gear in it, as just a slowpoke to beebop
                                          around the sound. And with a 12 to 18 Hp diesel you
                                          would really have to run her hard to burn more then
                                          3/4 gallon an hour. Then again the hull speed is
                                          something around 6.5 knots.

                                          The other thing is where are you going to get the
                                          weight to set her down in the water?

                                          OK so you have a small powerbarge that you can put a
                                          lot of people on and not sink it.

                                          Hey building her out of steel wouldn't be a bad way to
                                          go. But you may have more draft then you want to have.

                                          Blessings Krissie

                                          wrote:

                                          > Seeing Krissie's post and Bruce's idea of re-drawing
                                          > it to reduce
                                          > displacement made me wonder whether the whole hull
                                          > and deck could be
                                          > built of steel.
                                          >
                                          > But, with so many dead-flat panels, the shape is not
                                          > really suitable
                                          > for steel and the displacement as drawn is only 3350
                                          > lb. You'd need
                                          > something like 40 sheets of plywood (3/8" ?) plus
                                          > framing timber,
                                          > paint, glue, fasteners and fittings, outboard and
                                          > fuel, sailing rig,
                                          > leeboard, water and tanks, soft furnishings,
                                          > hatches, windows,
                                          > ground tackle, boat handling gear, dinghy, crew plus
                                          > personal
                                          > effects, sink, Porta-potti, food, cooking utensils,
                                          > crockery and
                                          > cutlery etc.
                                          >
                                          > With all that and the ballast Bruce has told us
                                          > about, there
                                          > wouldn't be much change left out of 3350 lb.
                                          >
                                          > Howard

                                          It's here! Your new message!
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Mar 4, 2007
                                            > This is interesting, my copy of the plans ends with #57 on page 3 of
                                            > the key, apparently I am missing a page.

                                            Paraphrasing page 4 of the Key, (covers about 1/3 of the page)

                                            57.cont.Stove recess to match stove. Drawers and cabinets to taste...
                                            58.Dresser with legroom...to be used as desk.
                                            59.Motor, ...5 1/2 knots max. with 6 hp motor, low pitch 3 or 4 blade propeller.
                                            60.Fuel tanks as convenient, strapped in place.
                                            61.Ballast...at least 500lbs, bolted down.
                                          • Paul
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Mar 4, 2007
                                              Thanks Bruce. I faxed Phil this afternoon and asked for a
                                              replacement page.

                                              Paul H.