Re: Black Skimmer for sale

  • lancasterdennis
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 1, 2007
      --
      Which goes to show you that all of us who choose to build our own boats
      are getting alot for our money in today's prices. The only rub comes
      when we choose to sell. But, I just keep telling myself that I am not
      building my boat to sell and try to make a buck, I'm doing it for me
      and maybe my kid after I'm gone. A labor of love.

      Wayne, would you care to share with us some more detail about the
      sailing charactoristics of the Skimmer? What is she like out on the
      water and is she as fast as I suspect that she is?

      Thanks,

      Dennis

      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 1, 2007
        On 3/1/07, lancasterdennis wrote:

        > The only rub comes
        > when we choose to sell.

        The resale value of new 'commerically made' boats is dismal too.

        Resale value of 'backyard' built boats is even worse.

        I am guessing that the resale price of 'soft chine' backyard-built
        boats (cold mold or lapstrake) is much better than 'hard chined'
        backyard-built boxy boats.

        If you want to get a boat cheap (sometimes even free), seek out an
        unloved older used boat.
      • Wayne Gilham at Gig Harbor Yacht Sales
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 26, 2008
          Ok, ok, a bit of promotion here: I've finally realized that (with my much
          larger Irwin 43 center-cockpit sloop taking all my "fix-it" time) I'll never
          get to the necessary work on my trailerable sailboat, so she's going to the
          first committed buyer (preferably one who really understands and appreciates
          Bolger boats) with a big enough check. She's ready to trailer easily to
          wherever you cruise.

          As a broker, I have the luxury of posting full specs and photos of her at
          YachtWorld - go to YachtWorld.com and plug in as your search: 25' Phil
          Bolger Black Skimmer. Be sure you click on the "full specs" button after
          reviewing the introductory paragraphs.

          I have tons more info I can send out, to any interested buyer. It's a very
          fast (for a non-planing boat), easy to setup and easy to sail design.
          undeniably in need of cosmetic restoration (but she's essentially solid!)

          So if you've lusted after the just-completed Nexus Marine example recently
          discussed and linked-to here, this one (at 1 /20th the cost!) is essentially
          the identical boat, though my mast and sail off Richard Zapf's "Red Zinger"
          is for sure an even better-setting rig!

          Regards,

          Wayne Gilham

          Tacoma WA

          Cell: 253 318 9873

        • dnjost
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 26, 2008
            Wayne -

            If I didn't have so many projects underway at the moment, I would
            consider driving from Boston to Washington and bringing her under the
            care of a Bolger devotee. A few well spent hours with a scraper and
            sander, coat with epoxy, and repaint and that boat will be ready for
            another generation.

            Very cool, thanks for posting all the pictures. I particularly liked
            the cabin filled with oreos. That is the current state of any of my
            boats with kids in them. A bag of oreos usually indicates all had fun.

            David Jost
            Boston, MA
          • Wayne Gilham
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 26, 2008
              A few on the Bolger list have found my previously-posted search criteria
              doesn't work on YachtWorld.

              Ooops. Just enter Black Skimmer in Yachtworld.com's first search box; that
              should do it. (the feet-length I put in there confused their search
              engine!) Once YachtWorld's little preview is "up", click on "more info /
              photos" below the picture for the full scoop.

              Or - even easier -- use this direct link: http://tinyurl.com/2jqu8u

              Go for it! Wayne Gilham