Re: Black Skimmer for sale

  • lancasterdennis
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 1, 2007
      -Hi Wayne,

      That's alot of boat for the price. Don't know if you know of this
      project in Everett:
      http://www.nexusmarine.com/skimmer_construction.html

      beautiful boat and certainly fast.

      Best of luck to you,

      regards,

      Dennis Lancaster
      Bellingham, WA

      -- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Wayne Gilham" <wgilham@...> wrote:

      > Hey all... haven't posted for a long while -- hope it's OK to post a
      > "for sale" here, for one of Bolger's most well-known early
      sharpies...

      > Went to my Black Skimmer in the storage yard this week and came to
      > realize it's not in my schedule to do the refurb this boat needs...
      so
      > with a big sob, I now realize it has to go to another owner. She's
      > being sold as a fixer-upper, as every surface WILL require
      > refinishing, but the boat's structurally solid, no hull-rot, a few
      > appendages require repair. I brought her back from far worse
      > condition about 20 years ago.... now she needs another total
      restoration.

      > This is the Black Skimmer with "Red Zinger"s tapered box-section
      mast
      > and tuned sail (see BWAOM chapter 63), mounted on a Bolger-designed
      > tabernacle pivot right at cabintop: makes it a fairly easy boat to
      > trailer and rig at launch ramp...
      >
      > Best way to get an overall sense of this boat is to review its specs
      > and a few photos at
      >
      > http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/boa/286473938.html
      >
      > (should be "up" there thru March 7)
      >
      > I've rigged many modifications to Bolger's typical Cat-Yawl rig, to
      > make fine-tuning of the sail-set a breeze, also have rigged a unique
      > way to raise-lower leeboards from the tiller-position.....
      >
      > Boat's in Tacoma WA, transports easily on its trailer (included);
      she
      > came all the way cross-country when we moved away from the
      Chesapeake
      > a few years ago.
      >
      > Feel free to contact me on-list or off-list for any info --- I have
      > more photos, lots more info, but if serious, a phonecall is in
      order.
      > 253 318 9873
      >
      > If you've ever thought of building one of Bolger's small cruisers,
      why
      > start from scratch? this one's a do-able project.
      >
      > Wayne Gilham

    • Wayne Gilham
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 1, 2007
        Yes my boat is "a lot of boat for the price" -- it's gotta go!

        I'm aware of the Nexus Boat project -- offered my ideas about leeboard
        davits and my other mods to the builders, but they were already well
        enough along that they chose to not incorporate these ideas -- I've
        also contacted the buyer of that new boat, he DOES have some
        interest.... boy, is it EXPENSIVE to have one of these built -- well
        over $50k!!!

        Wayne Gilham
      • lancasterdennis
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 1, 2007
          Which goes to show you that all of us who choose to build our own boats
          are getting alot for our money in today's prices. The only rub comes
          when we choose to sell. But, I just keep telling myself that I am not
          building my boat to sell and try to make a buck, I'm doing it for me
          and maybe my kid after I'm gone. A labor of love.

          Wayne, would you care to share with us some more detail about the
          sailing charactoristics of the Skimmer? What is she like out on the
          water and is she as fast as I suspect that she is?

          Thanks,

          Dennis

          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 1, 2007
            On 3/1/07, lancasterdennis wrote:

            > The only rub comes
            > when we choose to sell.

            The resale value of new 'commerically made' boats is dismal too.

            Resale value of 'backyard' built boats is even worse.

            I am guessing that the resale price of 'soft chine' backyard-built
            boats (cold mold or lapstrake) is much better than 'hard chined'
            backyard-built boxy boats.

            If you want to get a boat cheap (sometimes even free), seek out an
            unloved older used boat.
          • Wayne Gilham at Gig Harbor Yacht Sales
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 26, 2008
              Ok, ok, a bit of promotion here: I've finally realized that (with my much
              larger Irwin 43 center-cockpit sloop taking all my "fix-it" time) I'll never
              get to the necessary work on my trailerable sailboat, so she's going to the
              first committed buyer (preferably one who really understands and appreciates
              Bolger boats) with a big enough check. She's ready to trailer easily to
              wherever you cruise.

              As a broker, I have the luxury of posting full specs and photos of her at
              YachtWorld - go to YachtWorld.com and plug in as your search: 25' Phil
              Bolger Black Skimmer. Be sure you click on the "full specs" button after
              reviewing the introductory paragraphs.

              I have tons more info I can send out, to any interested buyer. It's a very
              fast (for a non-planing boat), easy to setup and easy to sail design.
              undeniably in need of cosmetic restoration (but she's essentially solid!)

              So if you've lusted after the just-completed Nexus Marine example recently
              discussed and linked-to here, this one (at 1 /20th the cost!) is essentially
              the identical boat, though my mast and sail off Richard Zapf's "Red Zinger"
              is for sure an even better-setting rig!

              Regards,

              Wayne Gilham

              Tacoma WA

              Cell: 253 318 9873

            • dnjost
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 26, 2008
                Wayne -

                If I didn't have so many projects underway at the moment, I would
                consider driving from Boston to Washington and bringing her under the
                care of a Bolger devotee. A few well spent hours with a scraper and
                sander, coat with epoxy, and repaint and that boat will be ready for
                another generation.

                Very cool, thanks for posting all the pictures. I particularly liked
                the cabin filled with oreos. That is the current state of any of my
                boats with kids in them. A bag of oreos usually indicates all had fun.

                David Jost
                Boston, MA
              • Wayne Gilham
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 26, 2008
                  A few on the Bolger list have found my previously-posted search criteria
                  doesn't work on YachtWorld.

                  Ooops. Just enter Black Skimmer in Yachtworld.com's first search box; that
                  should do it. (the feet-length I put in there confused their search
                  engine!) Once YachtWorld's little preview is "up", click on "more info /
                  photos" below the picture for the full scoop.

                  Or - even easier -- use this direct link: http://tinyurl.com/2jqu8u

                  Go for it! Wayne Gilham