Bolger canoe yawl

  • gilberj55
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 24, 2007
      Hello all,

      I have wondered on and off for years if anyone ever built PCB's little
      plywood water ballasted double ended canoe yawl. It is definitely one
      of the prettiest boats he ever drew. As far as I know the plans were
      never finished, and in the SBJ article he expressed some reservations
      about it being a little over-rigged.

      I have often considered it a boat I'd like to build, and would like to
      know if the design was ever finished. I'd love to see some pictures and
      find out how she sails.

      JG
    • Howard Stephenson
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 24, 2007
        Here's a link to the SBJ article:

        http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~fassitt/canoe_mirror/ply_can
        oe_yawl.html

        Howard

        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "gilberj55" <gilberj55@...> wrote:

        > Hello all,
        >
        > I have wondered on and off for years if anyone ever built PCB's
        little
        > plywood water ballasted double ended canoe yawl. It is definitely
        one
        > of the prettiest boats he ever drew. As far as I know the plans
        were
        > never finished, and in the SBJ article he expressed some
        reservations
        > about it being a little over-rigged.
        >
        > I have often considered it a boat I'd like to build, and would
        like to
        > know if the design was ever finished. I'd love to see some
        pictures and
        > find out how she sails.
      • Harry James
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 24, 2007
          Which SBJ?

          HJ

          gilberj55 wrote:
          > Hello all,
          >
          > I have wondered on and off for years if anyone ever built PCB's little
          > plywood water ballasted double ended canoe yawl. It is definitely one
          > of the prettiest boats he ever drew. As far as I know the plans were
          > never finished, and in the SBJ article he expressed some reservations
          > about it being a little over-rigged.
          >
          > I have often considered it a boat I'd like to build, and would like to
          > know if the design was ever finished. I'd love to see some pictures and
          > find out how she sails.
          >
          > JG

        • Harry James
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 24, 2007
            Never mind--- I read the post to the link to the May 86 SBJ.

            HJ

            Harry James wrote:
            > Which SBJ?
            >
            > HJ
            >
            > gilberj55 wrote:
            >
            >> Hello all,
            >>
            >> I have wondered on and off for years if anyone ever built PCB's little
            >> plywood water ballasted double ended canoe yawl. It is definitely one
            >> of the prettiest boats he ever drew. As far as I know the plans were
            >> never finished, and in the SBJ article he expressed some reservations
            >> about it being a little over-rigged.
            >>
            >> I have often considered it a boat I'd like to build, and would like to
            >> know if the design was ever finished. I'd love to see some pictures and
            >> find out how she sails.
            >>
            >> JG

          • John and Kathy Trussell
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 25, 2007
              One of the things PCB excels at is drawing pretty, tiny, boats. Somewhere, sometine after the Canoe yawl was published, PCB wrote that the design was never finished because there is hardly any room in the boat for the crew.

              My interest in boats was triggered by a profile drawing of PCB.s Monhegan which was published in 'Motor Boating and Sailing' back in the early 70's. I thought (and still think) that it is gorgeous. It was only after I saw a picture of one in 'Woodenboat's' Launching section that I realized that Monhegan is a big scale model (sort of like a Cape Dory Typhoon). Since then (and with the stffness and aches of age), I always look to see how the crew will fit in any design.

              JohnT

              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 25, 2007
                Just as a matter of interest - how tall is PCB.I only
                ask because I've been looking at the original article
                on Tortoise in SBJ which includes a picture of PCB
                rowing it and he doesn't look all that big,although
                since he's sitting down you can't tell.Mind you I
                don't look all that big sitting down either,but,having
                longish legs am 6'7" standing up,which makes me a
                little bit sensitive on the subject of headroom in
                boats.
                cheers
                Andy Airey
                ps
                yes,I do fancy Whalewatcher as a design,but I don't
                think it would be suitable for what I want to do

                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 25, 2007
                  > Just as a matter of interest - how tall is PCB.

                  Judging from the photographs, he is not a big man, either measured up
                  or measured around.
                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 27, 2007
                    On 2/24/07, Howard Stephenson wrote:

                    > I have wondered on and off for years if anyone ever built PCB's little
                    > plywood water ballasted double ended canoe yawl.

                    Here is a model.

                    http://hallman.org/bolger/pcy/Cartoon24.png

                    Definitely an 'unfinished' Bolger design, I found that the 'plan view'
                    of the cartoon sketch differs significantly from the section view.

                    Also, after looking closely I can't say I agree about the 'one of the
                    prettiest boats he ever drew' opinion. Though, no doubt this would be
                    a super fun boat to build and sail.

                    Yes of course, she is small, for the expressed constraint that she
                    needs to be easily carried on a small trailer.

                    This boat compares with the Steve Redmond Elver, and seems superior
                    due to the increased ballast.

                    I also see influences from Herreshoff's Rozinante, though much much
                    smaller. The vision that keeps Rozinante in my dreams is the
                    comfortable canvas chair in the cabin, next to the coal stove, with
                    one's feet stretching out in the deep sole while reading a book. The
                    problem of course with Rozinante is the giant slug of lead ballast
                    required to float down that deep buoyant sole. (Hence the appeal of
                    water ballast.)

                    This blinks on the 'idea light bulb' in my head: why cannot a water
                    ballasted boat have a watertight recessed space 'footwell' through the
                    water tank, extending down towards the keel to allow a comfortable
                    place for you feet while sitting in the cabin? Sort of like how
                    Anhinga has water tanks port and starboard, either side of the
                    footwell.
                  • Mark Albanese
                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 27, 2007
                      Actually, this isn't quite right. Anhinga has a footwell between the
                      seats. all of which sit atop the full width tank. Are you thinking of
                      Martha Jane, where the tanks rise up off the sole into the cabin?
                      http://tinyurl.com/3c7on3 (bolgercartoons>anhinga>construction.gif

                      BTW -keep those drawings coming, Bruce. Like everyone else here, I'm
                      astonished by your facility with Freeship.
                      Mark

                      On Feb 27, 2007, at 8:23 AM, Bruce Hallman wrote:

                      > Anhinga has water tanks port and starboard, either side of the
                      > footwell.

                    • gilberj55
                      Message 10 of 12 , Feb 27, 2007

                        Hi Bruce, I appreciate your effort developing the 3d views and
                        posting them....thanks very much.
                        Yes I see the Rozinante as part of the inspiration.....It would
                        certainly be possible to drop a well into the double bottom tank, but
                        of course you would loose some of the water ballast. A little lead
                        ballast might compensate. I think PCB knew that though this is a
                        beautiful boat, it does indeed come very close to the limits of
                        practicality. The size of the project, combined with the relative
                        limited effect of the of the water ballast and the idea of being
                        towed by a small car keeping the trailer weight down and then the
                        heavy displacement shape limiting speed.
                        Basically there are a lot of boats that are similar in project size,
                        that will be faster, with more room, though perhaps a little less
                        seaworthy. I still consider this a boat I'd like to try, but may need
                        some changes or developement.
                        thanks again

                        JG

                        > On 2/24/07, Howard Stephenson wrote:
                        > >
                        > > I have wondered on and off for years if anyone ever built PCB's
                        little
                        > > plywood water ballasted double ended canoe yawl.
                        >
                        > Here is a model.
                        >
                        > http://hallman.org/bolger/pcy/Cartoon24.png
                        >
                        > Definitely an 'unfinished' Bolger design, I found that the 'plan
                        view'
                        > of the cartoon sketch differs significantly from the section view.
                        >
                        > Also, after looking closely I can't say I agree about the 'one of
                        the
                        > prettiest boats he ever drew' opinion. Though, no doubt this would
                        be
                        > a super fun boat to build and sail.
                        >
                        > Yes of course, she is small, for the expressed constraint that she
                        > needs to be easily carried on a small trailer.
                        >
                        > This boat compares with the Steve Redmond Elver, and seems superior
                        > due to the increased ballast.
                        >
                        > I also see influences from Herreshoff's Rozinante, though much much
                        > smaller. The vision that keeps Rozinante in my dreams is the
                        > comfortable canvas chair in the cabin, next to the coal stove, with
                        > one's feet stretching out in the deep sole while reading a book.
                        The
                        > problem of course with Rozinante is the giant slug of lead ballast
                        > required to float down that deep buoyant sole. (Hence the appeal of
                        > water ballast.)
                        >
                        > This blinks on the 'idea light bulb' in my head: why cannot a water
                        > ballasted boat have a watertight recessed space 'footwell' through
                        the
                        > water tank, extending down towards the keel to allow a comfortable
                        > place for you feet while sitting in the cabin? Sort of like how
                        > Anhinga has water tanks port and starboard, either side of the
                        > footwell.

                      • Mark Albanese
                        Message 11 of 12 , Feb 28, 2007
                          I had the thought that some version of the step sharpie would be the
                          right direction.
                          Flying cloud or Hasler?

                          On Feb 27, 2007, at 8:23 AM, Bruce Hallman wrote:

                          > This blinks on the 'idea light bulb' in my head: why cannot a water
                          > ballasted boat have a watertight recessed space 'footwell' through the
                          > water tank, extending down towards the keel to allow a comfortable
                          > place for you feet while sitting in the cabin?
                        • donschultz8275
                          Message 12 of 12 , Mar 1, 2007
                            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Mark Albanese <marka@...> wrote:

                            > I had the thought that some version of the step sharpie would be
                            the
                            > right direction.
                            > Flying cloud or Hasler?
                            >

                            > On Feb 27, 2007, at 8:23 AM, Bruce Hallman wrote:
                            > >
                            > > This blinks on the 'idea light bulb' in my head: why cannot a water
                            > > ballasted boat have a watertight recessed space 'footwell' through
                            the
                            > > water tank, extending down towards the keel to allow a comfortable
                            > > place for you feet while sitting in the cabin?

                            Flying Cloud's box keel was partially flooded and partially a dry
                            footwell. I recall that the boat was simply a "test mule" for the box
                            keel concept, and not intended to fill a particular need for the
                            boating public.

                            Don Schultz