Re: Sailing the Bobcat

  • gilberj55
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 24, 2007
      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Jamie Orr" <jas_orr@...> wrote:

      Hello,
      As a family boat the bobcat may be a little small.I grew up sailing
      several different 14 foot gaff cat boat dinghys. All performed well.
      One in particular had a lot of buoyancy and did carry regularly 4-5
      adults or near-adults at a time, without being over burdened.

      I took care of a friends 15foot Wittholtz cat boat for a few weeks
      about 25 years ago and think that may be about as good as you can get
      for an easily sailed roomy small boat, capable of reasonable
      cruising. These boats are really pretty as well. I think plans are
      available from Woodenboat. They are I think a little more work to
      build, being what might be called traditional plywood construction
      rather than having full sized patterns and tack and tape, but I think
      these boats are great and definitely worth the effort.

      JG

    • Thierry
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 24, 2007
        OK,

        I made my mind,

        if there is a Bobcat for sale I would be interested to know about it.

        Thanks all,

        Thierry
      • txsailor37
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 26, 2007
          Hello... I finished a Bobcat and started sailing her last year. The
          boat sails very well, launches easily, and will hold 2 adults fairly
          comfortably and can even have a kid along. The boat can take the
          weight of more people easily, you just run out of room to put them. I
          wrote a couple of articles for Duckworks Magazine, the second article
          was dedicated to the Bobcats sailing abilities. Here are the links to
          those articles.

          Part1: http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/06/projects/bobcat/index.htm
          Part2: http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/06/projects/bobcat2/index.htm

          If you have anymore questions feel free to Email me @
          txsailor37@...

          Bobby

          -- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Thierry" <thierry.msika@...> wrote:

          > Hello All,
          >
          > I am thinking of building the Bobcat this spring. I already found
          > quite a lot of information on the net about building the boat but
          not
          > enough about sailing a cat, especially the Cape Cod type cat.
          >
          > I'd like to hear about the sailing qualities and mostly the sailing
          > flaws of the boat, if any.
          >
          > Is there anything against the catboat going to windward, dipping its
          > long boom on a run, the rudder maybe being too short, etc...
          >
          > Has someone tried a different rig, e.g. junk rig or cat gaff yawl
          with
          > a little standing lug jigger sheeted on a boomkin to balance the
          boat
          > while reefed, etc...
          >
          > I am intending to sail the boat in the Bay of Lunenburg, Nova
          Scotia,
          > which is fairly protected but still part of the Atlantic Ocean.
          >
          > Thank you for your comments.
          >
          > Thierry

        • Thierry
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 27, 2007
            Yes I have your articles bookmarked and I read them. Thank you for
            sharing.

            Do you find the boat safe enough with the little bit of flotation
            front and back?
            I am thinking of enclosing all the under deck areas, a bit like in the
            Fireball to keep a small cockpit and a lot of storage and buoyancy.
            Every compartment would have a hatch either in the side accessible
            from the cockpit or from the top in the deck for access and
            ventilation but I have to check if it would not add too much weight.
            A double bottom above the water line instead of floorboards is another
            consideration that would make the boat self draining at the mooring
            and on a run and add buoyancy. But this solution might reduce the
            cockpit depth too much.

            Thank you for your interest. I'll try to keep you posted when I start,
            probably not before May and in case I haven't found a used one in the
            mean time.

            Cheers

            Thierry
          • txsailor37
            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 28, 2007
              I would think that an increase in flotation would be good. If I were
              to do it all over again, I would seriously consider making the rear
              area under the "seat" a sealed compartment. That should give you
              plenty of positive bouyancy along with the foam up front. Better yet
              seal this compartment off as well seeing as to how it is totally
              inaccessible once the deck is put on. Having said all of that I have
              never worried about flotation for the boat. The boat is very stable,
              I sail in protected waters for the most part and always wear a life
              vest. In the event that the boat became swamped so bad that I could
              not bail it, and or sank I would just start swimming toward shore.

              Bobby