Idaho

  • Joe Hunter
    Message 1 of 18 , Mar 18, 2000
      Am interested in possibly building an Idaho. Would like any information
      about there construction , cost, time to build, type of materials
      used,where to get the plans,etc. hjoeh@...
    • rozman@gci.net
      Message 2 of 18 , Aug 18, 2000
        I would like to know if anyone could direct me to a web site with
        construction details and pics of the Idaho.
      • chodges31711
        Message 3 of 18 , Mar 6, 2002
          Has anyone built an Idaho besides Bernie W. of CSD? It looks like it
          would be a good "picnic boat" or day boat. Too narrow at 5' for a lot
          of built-in stuff. The 4'10" interior of the shelter house needs to
          be higher.
        • jakeman19652002 <jakeman19652002@yahoo.c
          Message 4 of 18 , Feb 17, 2003
            Hi, what are the specs of Idaho, any pictures on the web? j
          • AARON PRYOR
            Message 5 of 18 , Feb 17, 2003
              this is just one, but there are many. this one gives the most specs so far.

              http://www.common-sense-boats.com/boats/Power_Boats/idaho.htm

              Aaron

            • squireg
              Message 6 of 18 , Jan 30, 2008
                I have the plans for building Bolger's Idaho and wondered if anyone
                else has built one?
                I plan to use electric rather than petrol power and would also
                appreciate advice on appropriate motor/battery/solar panel combinations.
                The boat will live on the very beautiful Lake Waikaremoana in Nerw
                Zealand where 4lb trout are the norm.
                Regards
                Greg Squire
              • Howard Stephenson
                Message 7 of 18 , Jan 30, 2008
                  You'll find some information about possibly the only Idaho built at:

                  http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/00/DM2000/articles/bernie/index.htm

                  There's plenty of information about electric boats on the web. Google
                  will help you find it. Many use an electric trolling motor, or
                  sometimes two of them for larger boats.

                  Howard

                  --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "squireg" <squireg@...> wrote:

                  > I have the plans for building Bolger's Idaho and wondered if anyone
                  > else has built one?
                  > I plan to use electric rather than petrol power and would also
                  > appreciate advice on appropriate motor/battery/solar panel
                  combinations.
                  > The boat will live on the very beautiful Lake Waikaremoana in Nerw
                  > Zealand where 4lb trout are the norm.
                • bruce_fountain
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jan 30, 2008
                    howardstephenson@...> wrote:
                    > There's plenty of information about electric boats on the web. Google
                    > will help you find it. Many use an electric trolling motor, or
                    > sometimes two of them for larger boats.

                    You might also want to look at duckflat's Mundoo, which is an
                    evolution of the Tennessee. They have done several electric versions:

                    http://www.duckflatwoodenboats.com/mainpages/mundoo.php
                  • Kristine Bennett
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jan 30, 2008
                      Duckflats did a nice job on a number of boats that are like the Idaho. They would be the ones to talk to. I know there are a number of electric outboards you can get. There is one that uses a Kort style nozzle and for the same Amp draw it gives you about15 to 20% more push then a trolling motor and that's what you are after.

                      A side note the Eteck motor that Duckflats used is no longer being made. A real bummer too! If you go inboard use cleated belts not Vee belts for your reduction they take less power to drive. The number I have read is 500 watts per hour of use. 750 watts is one horsepower.

                      Blessings Krissie

                      squireg <squireg@...> wrote: I have the plans for building Bolger's Idaho and wondered if anyone
                      else has built one?
                      I plan to use electric rather than petrol power and would also
                      appreciate advice on appropriate motor/battery/solar panel combinations.
                      The boat will live on the very beautiful Lake Waikaremoana in Nerw
                      Zealand where 4lb trout are the norm.
                      Regards
                      Greg Squire

                    • donschultz8275
                      Message 10 of 18 , Feb 1, 2008
                        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "chodges31711" <chodges@...> wrote:
                        > ............The 4'10" interior of the shelter house needs to be higher.

                        I used to think the same, and even sketched a much bigger house.

                        But the design was originally for a wheelchair bound user. In a light
                        camping cruiser, on the narrow beam, more high windage is not a good
                        idea. A better idea for easier use of the boat for standing/walking
                        users is a slot top house with a snap on canvas cover IE Bolger's
                        Birdwatcher, Micro or Micalak's AF4. Same sleeping utility for camp
                        cruising as the designed hardtop.

                        If you really want a more livable standing room cabin you should also
                        plan on a broader beam boat. Other designs are more appropriate, IE
                        Minnesota, Champlain, Windermere, etc.

                        I also have a set of CSD Idaho plans. If I built one, it wouldn't
                        have a cabin, but would be arranged as a "Super Sneakeasy" runabout
                        with classic looks, and room for friends. I'd put a bimini on it and
                        a modest ob motor, perhaps a faux barrelback look to the stern, and
                        brightworks finish decks. ;-D
                      • Howard Stephenson
                        Message 11 of 18 , Feb 2, 2008
                          A few years ago I drew a quick sketch of a scaled-up Idaho. It would
                          have full headroom, but still not more than camping accommodation.
                          At 2 tons displacement it's not really all that much bigger than a
                          Tennessee, at about 1.2 tons I think. See:

                          http://www.geocities.com/howardstephenson/Idaho2.jpg

                          Howard

                          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "donschultz8275" <donschultz@...>
                          wrote:

                          A better idea for easier use of the boat for standing/walking
                          > users is a slot top house with a snap on canvas cover IE Bolger's
                          > Birdwatcher, Micro or Micalak's AF4. Same sleeping utility for
                          camp
                          > cruising as the designed hardtop.
                          >
                          > If you really want a more livable standing room cabin you should
                          also
                          > plan on a broader beam boat. Other designs are more appropriate,
                          IE
                          > Minnesota, Champlain, Windermere, etc.
                          >
                          > I also have a set of CSD Idaho plans. If I built one, it wouldn't
                          > have a cabin, but would be arranged as a "Super Sneakeasy" runabout
                          > with classic looks, and room for friends. I'd put a bimini on it
                          and
                          > a modest ob motor, perhaps a faux barrelback look to the stern, and
                          > brightworks finish decks.
                        • Maximo
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jul 14, 2009
                          • 1 Attachment
                          • 31 KB
                          I start building Idaho, attached is a photo of the bottom.

                          What do yo think of replacing wood on the skids, and use PVC pipes,
                          fiberglassed to the botton?

                          Regards, Máximo.
                        • Bill Howard
                          Message 13 of 18 , Jul 14, 2009
                            Why use PVC pipe, with all the additional work required ("split down the center, fill with expanding foam....") when wood is so easy to work with?  I used wood for the skids on my June Bug, as specified.  Glued and screwed to the bottom, then painted.

                            Bill Howard
                            Nellysford VA
                            On Jul 14, 2009, at 8:43 PM, Ben wrote:

                            I have seen that done before.They used 4 inch pvc pipe split down the center,filled the halves with expanding foam,cut the ends at 70 degree angles,wrapped the foam cored pipe halves with fiberglass and epoxy,then glassed them to the hull.I've also seen this done with 1.25 pvc pipe to make rub rails and gunnel caps.Use pie cuts to help making curves down the side or bottom of the boat.

                            --- In bolger@yahoogroups. com, "Maximo" <grupos@...> wrote:

                            > I start building Idaho, attached is a photo of the bottom.
                            >
                            > What do yo think of replacing wood on the skids, and use PVC pipes,
                            > fiberglassed to the botton?
                            >
                            > Regards, Máximo.

                          • Ben
                            Message 14 of 18 , Jul 14, 2009
                              I have seen that done before.They used 4 inch pvc pipe split down the center,filled the halves with expanding foam,cut the ends at 70 degree angles,wrapped the foam cored pipe halves with fiberglass and epoxy,then glassed them to the hull.I've also seen this done with 1.25 pvc pipe to make rub rails and gunnel caps.Use pie cuts to help making curves down the side or bottom of the boat.

                              --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Maximo" <grupos@...> wrote:

                              > I start building Idaho, attached is a photo of the bottom.
                              >
                              > What do yo think of replacing wood on the skids, and use PVC pipes,
                              > fiberglassed to the botton?
                              >
                              > Regards, Máximo.

                            • Ben
                              Message 15 of 18 , Jul 14, 2009
                                I agree.Wood is easier and less expensive in my area.Just something I saw someone else do.I think maybe they liked to add difficult modifications just to be able to say they did it that way and it worked.

                                --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Bill Howard <billh39@...> wrote:

                                > Why use PVC pipe, with all the additional work required ("split down
                                > the center, fill with expanding foam....") when wood is so easy to
                                > work with? I used wood for the skids on my June Bug, as specified.
                                > Glued and screwed to the bottom, then painted.
                                >
                                > Bill Howard
                                > Nellysford VA
                                > On Jul 14, 2009, at 8:43 PM, Ben wrote:
                                >

                                > > I have seen that done before.They used 4 inch pvc pipe split down
                                > > the center,filled the halves with expanding foam,cut the ends at 70
                                > > degree angles,wrapped the foam cored pipe halves with fiberglass and
                                > > epoxy,then glassed them to the hull.I've also seen this done with
                                > > 1.25 pvc pipe to make rub rails and gunnel caps.Use pie cuts to help
                                > > making curves down the side or bottom of the boat.
                                > >
                                > > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Maximo" <grupos@> wrote:
                                > > >
                                > > > I start building Idaho, attached is a photo of the bottom.
                                > > >
                                > > > What do yo think of replacing wood on the skids, and use PVC pipes,
                                > > > fiberglassed to the botton?
                                > > >
                                > > > Regards, Máximo.

                              • David Darnell
                                Message 16 of 18 , Jul 15, 2009
                                  I'd think wooden skids with glass or a stronger fabric tape would be better.

                                  --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Maximo" <grupos@...> wrote:

                                  > I start building Idaho, attached is a photo of the bottom.
                                  >
                                  > What do yo think of replacing wood on the skids, and use PVC pipes,
                                  > fiberglassed to the botton?
                                  >
                                  > Regards, Máximo.

                                • Maximo
                                  Message 17 of 18 , Jul 15, 2009
                                    Thank you all for your advice.
                                    I´m building on a very low budget, using polyester resin. I was looking an
                                    alternative. But I think I will use wood.
                                    Thanks, regards, Máximo.
                                  • Chester Young
                                    Message 18 of 18 , Jul 15, 2009

                                      On EstherMae the ‘keel’ is built from wood and was attached after the bottom was fiber-glassed.  16 years after construction it is still functioning, with a couple of gaps between the bottom and the keel where a person can see through a gap when she is on her trailer.  I do not know if the original method included any type of adhesive or if screws were run through the bottom into the keel but nothing leaks and I frequently leave her in the water a week at a time or more.

                                      Caloosarat