Improved Tortoise.

    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 2, 2007
      Don't take me wrong, I just love my Tortoise, especially how it sails.
      Yet, with the tiller centered on the aft transom, a sailer needs to
      slide their butt from side to side for each tack.

      When you lean back, the square edge of the aft deck then 'cuts' into
      your shoulder blades, making the sailing experience less than perfect.
      If only the afterdeck had some curved combing which supported your
      back allowing a sailer to lean back in bliss on each tack.

      http://hallman.org/bolger/Tortoise/ImprovedTortoise.png

      Still fits on two sheets of plywood.
      Slightly harder to build, but worth it in comfort while sailing.
    • nonews35
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 3, 2007
        Lately I've been thinking of building the 8' Tortoise instead of my 4'2" beam Nymph. Seems
        like the carrying capacity would be about the same maybe a little less, but it would take up
        alot less deck space. Wondering if anyone has build both the Nymph and the long tortoise
        and how they compared?

        Jeff
      • Sam Glasscock
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 3, 2007
          Jeff, I have built the 8' Tortoise and am building the
          Reubens Nymphy now. I had decided on the June Bug for
          a tender, but I want to tow the boat as a dinghy, too,
          and that is tough with the JB.
          The long Tortoise was a great little boat--rowed well
          (though not fast), extremely manuverable, light, and
          stable enough to stand up in without fear. Fun to
          sail if you were not in a hurry. I sold my Tortoise
          several years ago, and thought about another for my
          tender, but I don't really want to build the same boat
          twice, and I need a little more capacity. The regular
          Nymph is prettier than the Tortoise. The T'toise is
          easier to build and more stable, and uses less space
          on deck.
          --- nonews35 <nonews35@...> wrote:

          > Lately I've been thinking of building the 8'
          > Tortoise instead of my 4'2" beam Nymph. Seems
          > like the carrying capacity would be about the same
          > maybe a little less, but it would take up
          > alot less deck space. Wondering if anyone has build
          > both the Nymph and the long tortoise
          > and how they compared?
          >
          > Jeff

          Looking for earth-friendly autos?