Re: Mast hoops vs. lacing

  • dnjost
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 2, 2007
      Yup...

      I say go with the hoops, but it is a more expensive system. you will
      need shackles, lacings, and hoops. Sail tension is a lot easier with
      the hoops. But, if you can get your hands on some good 6" schedule 40
      pvc pipe, you can make your own with a hacksaw and some sandpaper.

      Size of the spar would matter too. on a short spar, I would probably
      go with the lashings. Birdwatcher II's rig looks as if it is the best
      of both worlds with the sail being lashed to the upper spar and then
      the spar is hoisted in place. The sail is not fixed to the mast except
      at the tack. Can't remember the actual term Bolger used for the rig,
      but will check the plans this weekend. Spars are underway...

      David Jost