Re: Steel ASharpie: speculation on plate thicknesses?

  • donschultz8275
    Message 1 of 20 , Feb 2, 2007
      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "goadarama" <goadarama@...> wrote:

      > So I take it the sharpie must be larger than a AS29 to really be
      > practical in steel. Not necessarily AS39 big but maybe a AS34 or so.

      I wouldn't assume that it is only for bigger boats. PCB did that
      single hand world cruiser, Colonel something that is steel. Not much
      bigger than a Micro.
    • Christopher C. Wetherill
      Message 2 of 20 , Feb 2, 2007
        The first boat My dad bought was a TerraMarine. It was a 30 foot
        flat-bottom houseboat that could convert to a trailer. It consisted of a
        steel barge with an aluminum house. It drew about 6 inches. I would be
        guessing at the thickness of the plate, but I do know a corrosion allowance
        is necessary.

        The previous owner left it tied to a dock and used it for a guest house.
        Unfortunately, he left the shoreside power hooked up with the wrong polarity
        for several years and electrolytically corroded the hull. Dad had to glass
        it inside and out to stop the leaks

        Another point of reference is Huckleberry Finn, a 50 foot Atkins houseboat
        done for Motorboating sometime before 1953. This boat has 11/64 bottom
        plate and 9/64 topside plate on 2x2x1/8 angle framing at 15 inch intervals
        with 3 longitudinal 4x7.55 I stringers, 1/4x12 keel plates on top and bottom
        of the framing, 3/16 bow and stern and 4 watertight bulkheads of 1/8 plate
        with 1.25x1.25x1/8 angle stiffeners on about 18 inch spacing.
        Unfortunately, displacement is not given. Gross dimensions are 50' LOA, 44'
        LWL, 18' B, 1'-4" D.

        The point is that, with competent design, a boat can be built of steel in
        any size. Since framing and stiffeners are easy to attach, weight is not as
        difficult a problem as one might think. Cost may be a different problem.

        V/R
        Chris