Skip to search.

Re: Steel ASharpie: speculation on plate thicknesses?

  • Jon & Wanda(Tink)
    Message 1 of 20 , Feb 1, 2007
      By sand blasting,painting and then having the hull spray foamed
      there is no air circulation agenst the steel and no condensation
      eliminating the things that cause rust to form. Homebuilder sheet
      foam will not seel the air flow out well enough. For a lot of good
      info on steel boat building and scantling use check out:

      Jon

      ______________
      > Looking for earth-friendly autos?
      > http://autos.yahoo.com/green_center/

    • donschultz8275
      Message 2 of 20 , Feb 2, 2007
        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "goadarama" <goadarama@...> wrote:

        > So I take it the sharpie must be larger than a AS29 to really be
        > practical in steel. Not necessarily AS39 big but maybe a AS34 or so.

        I wouldn't assume that it is only for bigger boats. PCB did that
        single hand world cruiser, Colonel something that is steel. Not much
        bigger than a Micro.
      • Christopher C. Wetherill
        Message 3 of 20 , Feb 2, 2007
          The first boat My dad bought was a TerraMarine. It was a 30 foot
          flat-bottom houseboat that could convert to a trailer. It consisted of a
          steel barge with an aluminum house. It drew about 6 inches. I would be
          guessing at the thickness of the plate, but I do know a corrosion allowance
          is necessary.

          The previous owner left it tied to a dock and used it for a guest house.
          Unfortunately, he left the shoreside power hooked up with the wrong polarity
          for several years and electrolytically corroded the hull. Dad had to glass
          it inside and out to stop the leaks

          Another point of reference is Huckleberry Finn, a 50 foot Atkins houseboat
          done for Motorboating sometime before 1953. This boat has 11/64 bottom
          plate and 9/64 topside plate on 2x2x1/8 angle framing at 15 inch intervals
          with 3 longitudinal 4x7.55 I stringers, 1/4x12 keel plates on top and bottom
          of the framing, 3/16 bow and stern and 4 watertight bulkheads of 1/8 plate
          with 1.25x1.25x1/8 angle stiffeners on about 18 inch spacing.
          Unfortunately, displacement is not given. Gross dimensions are 50' LOA, 44'
          LWL, 18' B, 1'-4" D.

          The point is that, with competent design, a boat can be built of steel in
          any size. Since framing and stiffeners are easy to attach, weight is not as
          difficult a problem as one might think. Cost may be a different problem.

          V/R
          Chris