Re: Steel ASharpie: speculation on plate thicknesses?

  • Jon & Wanda(Tink)
    Message 1 of 20 , Feb 1, 2007
      I think you covered the steel pritty well as far as welding in
      thinner steel proper sized and type of rod gives a stronger weld and
      less disrortion. MIG can have poor penatration and Inershield gets
      slag when starting and stopping that can cause pinholes. CNC is great
      but you need the specs on disc with a format that the CNC can use. It
      can be big bucks if they have to set up the cutting specs. They are
      more versatal now and shops can give help on what they need. Atkins
      has a 28' sternwheeler that is 8 and 10 gage steel

      Jon

      ______________
      > Try the free Yahoo! Mail Beta.

    • Jon & Wanda(Tink)
      Message 2 of 20 , Feb 1, 2007
        By sand blasting,painting and then having the hull spray foamed
        there is no air circulation agenst the steel and no condensation
        eliminating the things that cause rust to form. Homebuilder sheet
        foam will not seel the air flow out well enough. For a lot of good
        info on steel boat building and scantling use check out:

        Jon

        ______________
        > Looking for earth-friendly autos?
        > http://autos.yahoo.com/green_center/

      • donschultz8275
        Message 3 of 20 , Feb 2, 2007
          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "goadarama" <goadarama@...> wrote:

          > So I take it the sharpie must be larger than a AS29 to really be
          > practical in steel. Not necessarily AS39 big but maybe a AS34 or so.

          I wouldn't assume that it is only for bigger boats. PCB did that
          single hand world cruiser, Colonel something that is steel. Not much
          bigger than a Micro.
        • Christopher C. Wetherill
          Message 4 of 20 , Feb 2, 2007
            The first boat My dad bought was a TerraMarine. It was a 30 foot
            flat-bottom houseboat that could convert to a trailer. It consisted of a
            steel barge with an aluminum house. It drew about 6 inches. I would be
            guessing at the thickness of the plate, but I do know a corrosion allowance
            is necessary.

            The previous owner left it tied to a dock and used it for a guest house.
            Unfortunately, he left the shoreside power hooked up with the wrong polarity
            for several years and electrolytically corroded the hull. Dad had to glass
            it inside and out to stop the leaks

            Another point of reference is Huckleberry Finn, a 50 foot Atkins houseboat
            done for Motorboating sometime before 1953. This boat has 11/64 bottom
            plate and 9/64 topside plate on 2x2x1/8 angle framing at 15 inch intervals
            with 3 longitudinal 4x7.55 I stringers, 1/4x12 keel plates on top and bottom
            of the framing, 3/16 bow and stern and 4 watertight bulkheads of 1/8 plate
            with 1.25x1.25x1/8 angle stiffeners on about 18 inch spacing.
            Unfortunately, displacement is not given. Gross dimensions are 50' LOA, 44'
            LWL, 18' B, 1'-4" D.

            The point is that, with competent design, a boat can be built of steel in
            any size. Since framing and stiffeners are easy to attach, weight is not as
            difficult a problem as one might think. Cost may be a different problem.

            V/R
            Chris