Re: [bolger] Re: Steel ASharpie: speculation on plate thicknesses?

  • Kristine Bennett
    Message 1 of 20 , Feb 1 9:29 PM
      Hey Don in all the years I've been welding I have yet
      to see a rod or wire for welding wood to steel....
      Let's face it when you add wood decks and cabins to a
      steel boat you have the best of both world....Rot and
      Rust.

      Dave Gerr does a good job of telling you how to work
      out your scantling for a steel boat in The Nature of
      Boats. I have also see a couple of other books that
      just talk about steel boat building.

      Blessings Krissie

      > I would buy AS 29 plans and Lions Paw plans. The AS
      > 29 plans would
      > provide the panel expansions and other dimensional
      > details. LP will
      > provide the scantlings and tell you about how to do
      > it in steel. I
      > would guess a tank builder could prefab the bottom
      > including the
      > rocker, and the sides would bend around temp' frames
      > and tabs welded
      > to the bottom. I would be inclined to do decks and
      > much of the
      > interior in wood, but could also be talked out of it
      > for more steel.
      >
      > Don Schultz

      Bored stiff? Loosen up...
      http://games.yahoo.com/games/front
    • Jon & Wanda(Tink)
      Message 2 of 20 , Feb 1 10:38 PM
        I think you covered the steel pritty well as far as welding in
        thinner steel proper sized and type of rod gives a stronger weld and
        less disrortion. MIG can have poor penatration and Inershield gets
        slag when starting and stopping that can cause pinholes. CNC is great
        but you need the specs on disc with a format that the CNC can use. It
        can be big bucks if they have to set up the cutting specs. They are
        more versatal now and shops can give help on what they need. Atkins
        has a 28' sternwheeler that is 8 and 10 gage steel

        Jon

        ______________
        > Try the free Yahoo! Mail Beta.

      • Jon & Wanda(Tink)
        Message 3 of 20 , Feb 1 10:46 PM
          By sand blasting,painting and then having the hull spray foamed
          there is no air circulation agenst the steel and no condensation
          eliminating the things that cause rust to form. Homebuilder sheet
          foam will not seel the air flow out well enough. For a lot of good
          info on steel boat building and scantling use check out:

          Jon

          ______________
          > Looking for earth-friendly autos?
          > http://autos.yahoo.com/green_center/

        • donschultz8275
          Message 4 of 20 , Feb 2 12:15 AM
            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "goadarama" <goadarama@...> wrote:

            > So I take it the sharpie must be larger than a AS29 to really be
            > practical in steel. Not necessarily AS39 big but maybe a AS34 or so.

            I wouldn't assume that it is only for bigger boats. PCB did that
            single hand world cruiser, Colonel something that is steel. Not much
            bigger than a Micro.
          • Christopher C. Wetherill
            Message 5 of 20 , Feb 2 7:35 AM
              The first boat My dad bought was a TerraMarine. It was a 30 foot
              flat-bottom houseboat that could convert to a trailer. It consisted of a
              steel barge with an aluminum house. It drew about 6 inches. I would be
              guessing at the thickness of the plate, but I do know a corrosion allowance
              is necessary.

              The previous owner left it tied to a dock and used it for a guest house.
              Unfortunately, he left the shoreside power hooked up with the wrong polarity
              for several years and electrolytically corroded the hull. Dad had to glass
              it inside and out to stop the leaks

              Another point of reference is Huckleberry Finn, a 50 foot Atkins houseboat
              done for Motorboating sometime before 1953. This boat has 11/64 bottom
              plate and 9/64 topside plate on 2x2x1/8 angle framing at 15 inch intervals
              with 3 longitudinal 4x7.55 I stringers, 1/4x12 keel plates on top and bottom
              of the framing, 3/16 bow and stern and 4 watertight bulkheads of 1/8 plate
              with 1.25x1.25x1/8 angle stiffeners on about 18 inch spacing.
              Unfortunately, displacement is not given. Gross dimensions are 50' LOA, 44'
              LWL, 18' B, 1'-4" D.

              The point is that, with competent design, a boat can be built of steel in
              any size. Since framing and stiffeners are easy to attach, weight is not as
              difficult a problem as one might think. Cost may be a different problem.

              V/R
              Chris