Mast hoops vs. lacing

  • Doc Musekamp
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 1, 2007
      I'm curious if anyone has tried both methods of hanking a sail to their
      mast and specifically, whether there's any difference in the
      effort required to hoist the sail between the two methods ?

      Thanks..

      Doc Musekamp
      Sapphire, WDJ #1
    • dnjost
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 2, 2007
        Yup...

        I say go with the hoops, but it is a more expensive system. you will
        need shackles, lacings, and hoops. Sail tension is a lot easier with
        the hoops. But, if you can get your hands on some good 6" schedule 40
        pvc pipe, you can make your own with a hacksaw and some sandpaper.

        Size of the spar would matter too. on a short spar, I would probably
        go with the lashings. Birdwatcher II's rig looks as if it is the best
        of both worlds with the sail being lashed to the upper spar and then
        the spar is hoisted in place. The sail is not fixed to the mast except
        at the tack. Can't remember the actual term Bolger used for the rig,
        but will check the plans this weekend. Spars are underway...

        David Jost