Re: [bolger] Re: Light Dory Type V

    Message 1 of 25 , Feb 1, 2007
      > Amen. Mine's the prettiest boat at the lake whenever she's there. A
      > joy to row, and even better with two of us.

      Certainly all true, (and this is now splitting hairs), but I think I
      notice that during Phil Bolger's career that he has tended towards
      giving increased buoyancy in the bow and stern of rowboats. I think
      his hypothesis is that there is trade off of 'fine entry lines' versus
      a gain from 'effective waterline length' which is slightly more
      desireable in rowboats. I bet that the 'perfect' rowboat in PCB's
      mind might have more fullness in the ends than a Light Dory V.

      Though, I cannot argue that those long sweeping lines are gorgeous,
      and might be spoiled if made more full in the ends.
    • John and Kathy Trussell
      Message 2 of 25 , Feb 1, 2007
        I used to think that the variations of the Light Dory were the prettiest boats that could be made from 4 sheets of plywood. At the risk of blasphemy, I think Ian Outred's Elf is at least its equal and may actually be prettier....

        JohnT