Re: [bolger] Re: HOW ABOUT A SOUTHEASTERN MESSAGBOUT?

  • dave seeton
    Message 1 of 31 , Feb 1, 2007
      So we're talking about memorial day week-end? in Beauford NC? Or somewhere in SC. I live on Lake Hartwell in western SC. It has 986 miles of shoreline, not sure of wind conditions as I don't sail. Big water around the Dam. Should I look into aroud here or does some one have another idea?
      We need some input from list members if this is going to happen.
      Dave

      Rhett Davis <ravenous@...> wrote:
      Having been to the MIDWEST messabout several times, I think do it perfectly.
      Anyone can come with any boat or no boat at all.
      No particular schedule except for maybe a group meal.
      Lots of looking, talking, and playing in boats.

      Being from South Georgia, and having a larger boat to trailer,
      I'd favor SC over NC.

      I love cruising tidal creeks and rivers,
      and believe lakes can be pretty bland,
      but for a messabout, you can't beat a
      campground on protected wide water.
      That way sailors, rowers, paddlers, and
      motorboaters, all get to play. Most of the
      good stuff at a messabout happens on the
      shore anyway.

      Let's not drop this thread. Let's pick location central to
      those who have expressed interest that has the features
      for a boat gathering. When is memorial day?
      I, for one, am excited about the possibilities so far.
      Rav

      Message 31 of 31 , Feb 2, 2007
        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Sam Glasscock <glasscocklanding@...> wrote:

        > How about one of the rivers off Pamlico Sound? Lots
        > of water to explore for the big/fast boat guys, plenty
        > of nearby open water for shoal-draft sailing, but
        > protected for the little boat guys. I don't know
        > about shore access, etc. around New Bern or
        > Washington, N.C., but sombody on this group might.

        Goose Creek SP is the only one I'm aware of in this area. Haven't been
        there in years so I don't recall how suitable it is for a group
        messabout (beach?):

        http://www.ils.unc.edu/parkproject/visit/gocr/home.html

        12 primitive tent sites, but First Come First Serve, which would mean
        very tough to secure on a holiday weekend...

        Neil S.