Re: [bolger] Re: Light Dory Type V

  • Sam Glasscock
    Message 1 of 25 , Feb 1, 2007
      Yeah, but aren't they a sweet boat to row, and to look
      at? I always used to say mine was the prettiest boat
      in the county, and she still would be, if I hadn't
      built her out of luan.
      --- adventures_in_astrophotography
      <jon@...> wrote:

      > Hi Sam,
      >
      > ... snip...
      > > Anyone who can stand in an empty gull and
      > > scull it is a better man than I.
      >
      > I'll second that! I left the sculling notch out of
      > my Long Light Dory
      > tombstone, simply because it was hard to cut out,
      > but I can't imagine
      > standing up for long in that boat in anything but
      > flat water. It's
      > possible that the sculling oar would provide some
      > balance, but I'm
      > happy to keep my butt on the seat and row.
      >
      > Jon Kolb

      Looking for earth-friendly autos?
      http://autos.yahoo.com/green_center/
      Message 2 of 25 , Feb 1, 2007
        > > Anyone who can stand in an empty gull and
        > > scull it is a better man than I.
        >
        > I'll second that!

        Compare the Light Dory(s) with June Bug, which is the same size and
        weight, but in June Bug you can stand on a gunnel without shipping
        water.
      • adventures_in_astrophotography
        Message 3 of 25 , Feb 1, 2007
          Hi Sam,

          > Yeah, but aren't they a sweet boat to row, and to look
          > at? I always used to say mine was the prettiest boat
          > in the county, and she still would be, if I hadn't
          > built her out of luan.

          Amen. Mine's the prettiest boat at the lake whenever she's there. A
          joy to row, and even better with two of us.

          Jon Kolb
          Message 4 of 25 , Feb 1, 2007
            > Amen. Mine's the prettiest boat at the lake whenever she's there. A
            > joy to row, and even better with two of us.

            Certainly all true, (and this is now splitting hairs), but I think I
            notice that during Phil Bolger's career that he has tended towards
            giving increased buoyancy in the bow and stern of rowboats. I think
            his hypothesis is that there is trade off of 'fine entry lines' versus
            a gain from 'effective waterline length' which is slightly more
            desireable in rowboats. I bet that the 'perfect' rowboat in PCB's
            mind might have more fullness in the ends than a Light Dory V.

            Though, I cannot argue that those long sweeping lines are gorgeous,
            and might be spoiled if made more full in the ends.
          • Wesley Cox
            Message 5 of 25 , Feb 1, 2007
              Good idea. I actually have a boat trailer with no boat on it that I could modify, and would have to modify for any curvy hull I would build next. I had considered detaching the trailer from the hitch and pulling it with boat across the beach but the necessary tongue weight for driving would require a tongue extension to make it reasonable for hand carting, resulting in a big long heavy thing to maneuver across the sand. Thanks for the idea.

              Message 6 of 25 , Feb 1, 2007
                For what its worth I built a 16' wooden trailer with two fixed wheel barrow tires to transport 16' wooden boat to launch site. In SC you don't have to lic. a trailer. And of course the launch site is only 2 1/2 miles from the house.
                Dave

[...]

              • John and Kathy Trussell
                Message 7 of 25 , Feb 1, 2007
                  I used to think that the variations of the Light Dory were the prettiest boats that could be made from 4 sheets of plywood. At the risk of blasphemy, I think Ian Outred's Elf is at least its equal and may actually be prettier....

                  JohnT