Re: Light Dory Type V

  • adventures_in_astrophotography
    Message 1 of 25 , Feb 1, 2007
      Hi Sam,

      ... snip...
      > Anyone who can stand in an empty gull and
      > scull it is a better man than I.

      I'll second that! I left the sculling notch out of my Long Light Dory
      tombstone, simply because it was hard to cut out, but I can't imagine
      standing up for long in that boat in anything but flat water. It's
      possible that the sculling oar would provide some balance, but I'm
      happy to keep my butt on the seat and row.

      Jon Kolb
    • adventures_in_astrophotography
      Message 2 of 25 , Feb 1, 2007
        Hi Wesley,

        ...snip...
        Personally, I'm leaning toward a cart with 2 wheel barrow size
        pneumatic wheels (to not sink in the sand, hopefully) which attaches
        to the gunnels while the boat is still on the rack and a process I
        envision that would never require lifting more than half the weight
        of the boat.
        ...snip...

        I built a hand cart that looks like a small wooden trailer for my
        Long Light Dory. It's a bit heavy, since it has a 4x4 backbone, but
        it beats trailer launching for this sort of "in between" size boat.
        I carry the boat and cart to the lake on 2x6 crosswise bunks bolted
        to the deck of a 16' utility trailer, then roll the boat off using
        cheap ramps and right into the water. This also allows me to launch
        off the small beach area away from the impatient crowd in their huge
        plastic noisemakers. If you have other use for a utility trailer
        (and who doesn't) and a place to park it, I recommend looking into
        this approach. Besides, you can carry different boats you might
        build later with the same trailer.

        Jon Kolb
      • Sam Glasscock
        Message 3 of 25 , Feb 1, 2007
          Yeah, but aren't they a sweet boat to row, and to look
          at? I always used to say mine was the prettiest boat
          in the county, and she still would be, if I hadn't
          built her out of luan.
          <jon@...> wrote:

          > Hi Sam,
          >
          > ... snip...
          > > Anyone who can stand in an empty gull and
          > > scull it is a better man than I.
          >
          > I'll second that! I left the sculling notch out of
          > my Long Light Dory
          > tombstone, simply because it was hard to cut out,
          > but I can't imagine
          > standing up for long in that boat in anything but
          > flat water. It's
          > possible that the sculling oar would provide some
          > balance, but I'm
          > happy to keep my butt on the seat and row.
          >
          > Jon Kolb

          Looking for earth-friendly autos?
          http://autos.yahoo.com/green_center/
          Message 4 of 25 , Feb 1, 2007
            > > Anyone who can stand in an empty gull and
            > > scull it is a better man than I.
            >
            > I'll second that!

            Compare the Light Dory(s) with June Bug, which is the same size and
            weight, but in June Bug you can stand on a gunnel without shipping
            water.
          • adventures_in_astrophotography
            Message 5 of 25 , Feb 1, 2007
              Hi Sam,

              > Yeah, but aren't they a sweet boat to row, and to look
              > at? I always used to say mine was the prettiest boat
              > in the county, and she still would be, if I hadn't
              > built her out of luan.

              Amen. Mine's the prettiest boat at the lake whenever she's there. A
              joy to row, and even better with two of us.

              Jon Kolb
              Message 6 of 25 , Feb 1, 2007
                > Amen. Mine's the prettiest boat at the lake whenever she's there. A
                > joy to row, and even better with two of us.

                Certainly all true, (and this is now splitting hairs), but I think I
                notice that during Phil Bolger's career that he has tended towards
                giving increased buoyancy in the bow and stern of rowboats. I think
                his hypothesis is that there is trade off of 'fine entry lines' versus
                a gain from 'effective waterline length' which is slightly more
                desireable in rowboats. I bet that the 'perfect' rowboat in PCB's
                mind might have more fullness in the ends than a Light Dory V.

                Though, I cannot argue that those long sweeping lines are gorgeous,
                and might be spoiled if made more full in the ends.
              • Wesley Cox
                Message 7 of 25 , Feb 1, 2007
                  Good idea. I actually have a boat trailer with no boat on it that I could modify, and would have to modify for any curvy hull I would build next. I had considered detaching the trailer from the hitch and pulling it with boat across the beach but the necessary tongue weight for driving would require a tongue extension to make it reasonable for hand carting, resulting in a big long heavy thing to maneuver across the sand. Thanks for the idea.

                  Message 8 of 25 , Feb 1, 2007
                    For what its worth I built a 16' wooden trailer with two fixed wheel barrow tires to transport 16' wooden boat to launch site. In SC you don't have to lic. a trailer. And of course the launch site is only 2 1/2 miles from the house.
                    Dave

                    adventures_in_astrophotography <jon@...> wrote:
[...]

                  • John and Kathy Trussell
                    Message 9 of 25 , Feb 1, 2007
                      I used to think that the variations of the Light Dory were the prettiest boats that could be made from 4 sheets of plywood. At the risk of blasphemy, I think Ian Outred's Elf is at least its equal and may actually be prettier....

                      JohnT