Re: Lily electric launch motor

  • Brent Kennedy
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 31, 2007
      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Brent Kennedy" <b_kennedy@...> wrote:
      Just received a fax from Phil Bolger with details of Lily...
      video is 86 minutes @$US35 posted and the plans are $US100
      posted...no discount. I'll order the video in PAL format and see if
      that's the boat for me..
    • Brent Kennedy
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 23, 2007
        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Brent Kennedy" <b_kennedy@...> wrote:

        > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Brent Kennedy" <b_kennedy@> wrote:
        > Just received a fax from Phil Bolger with details of Lily...
        > video is 86 minutes @$US35 posted and the plans are $US100
        > posted...no discount. I'll order the video in PAL format and see if
        > that's the boat for me..

        Just watched the video and looks like this could be my first boat!!
        As someone who works in the electronics/computer industry, the
        electric side is of real interest, and it's a Bolger hull so I can't
        go wrong.

        Pity the 75# Minn Kota is about $USD1000 here in Australia. I don't
        suppose going to the next level (~100# thrust) would increase the hull
        speed any so I will see if I can find one on special after our Summer
        season is over.
      • Clyde Wisner
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 23, 2007
          If you decide to really do this I have a couple of non bolger approved
          ideas(He didn't like them when I took mine to the woodenboat show). I
          put some crown in the front and rear decks. I sloped the bottom of the
          seats down in back like a dining rm chair so you don't tend to slide out
          of them. As the front and rear chambers are filled with foam, I wish it
          had occured to me to build a cooler into the rear deck with a drain into
          the motor well. I don't know about OZ but the water in the Chesapeake
          Bay is not cold enough to keep beer in motor well. If you are going to
          do saltwater, the motor should be the version for it. If the 100# costs
          less you could run at lower power. I tried my Honda 2 once but anything
          much over idle just made the bow come up. Shamefully, I also didn't
          build the little cart to move the batteries forward and back. I put them
          in three long wooden batery boxes and move them by picking up and
          pushing and pulling. This allows you to move them forward and bring the
          bow down when going into the wind. Sorry to be so wordie. Contact me off
          list if I can be of help. I love my Lily even though it has been
          collecting bird droppings for quite a while. Clyde

          Brent Kennedy wrote:

          > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com <mailto:bolger%40yahoogroups.com>,
          > "Brent Kennedy" <b_kennedy@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com <mailto:bolger%40yahoogroups.com>,
          > "Brent Kennedy" <b_kennedy@> wrote:
          > > Just received a fax from Phil Bolger with details of Lily...
          > > video is 86 minutes @$US35 posted and the plans are $US100
          > > posted...no discount. I'll order the video in PAL format and see if
          > > that's the boat for me..
          > >
          > Just watched the video and looks like this could be my first boat!!
          > As someone who works in the electronics/computer industry, the
          > electric side is of real interest, and it's a Bolger hull so I can't
          > go wrong.
          >
          > Pity the 75# Minn Kota is about $USD1000 here in Australia. I don't
          > suppose going to the next level (~100# thrust) would increase the hull
          > speed any so I will see if I can find one on special after our Summer
          > season is over.

        • Kristine Bennett
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 23, 2007
            Hey Brent I have a hard time thinking that someone
            doesn't make a trolling motor down your way that would
            fit the bill.

            The trolling motors are made for push not speed but
            you would see a little more speed maybe a 1 kt but
            your run time would be cut by about 20 to 30% would be
            my guess. You could find a bit smaller motor and go
            twins ;)

            Blessings Krissie

            > Just watched the video and looks like this could be
            > my first boat!!
            > As someone who works in the electronics/computer
            > industry, the
            > electric side is of real interest, and it's a Bolger
            > hull so I can't
            > go wrong.
            >
            > Pity the 75# Minn Kota is about $USD1000 here in
            > Australia. I don't
            > suppose going to the next level (~100# thrust) would
            > increase the hull
            > speed any so I will see if I can find one on special
            > after our Summer
            > season is over.

            Be a PS3 game guru.