Launch ramp with overnight parking near Monomoy Island?

  • GarthAB
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 21, 2007
      I'm engaged in my favorite wintertime activity -- gazing at charts,
      dreaming, and planning summer cruises for our Michalak "Cormorant."
      Last summer one of our trips took us to East Falmouth (Mass.) launch
      ramp, whence we departed for four days sailing and fishing around
      Martha's Vineyard. I could do that one all over again, probably every
      year for twenty years, and never be bored -- but curiosity leads me on
      to new places. . . .
      A nearby area that looks good on the charts is Monomoy Island
      (National Wildlife Refuge). I'd like to launch closer to that
      (Harwich? Chatham?), and then have the option of going south to
      Nantucket -- or if we felt like it, just poking around Monomoy, maybe
      north into Chatham Harbor &Pleasant Bay. . . .

      Anyone know of a good ramp near Monomoy that allows the Big Two?

      1) Out-of-town (out-of-state!) boaters
      2) Overnight parking

      (I have a detailed Cape Cod road map that abounds in "Launch Ramp"
      symbols, but they never tell you about the Big Two.)

      Any other local knowledge of those waters also appreciated. Does
      Pleasant Bay get crowded with boaters in the summer? Thanks for any
      advice!

      Garth
    • dnjost
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 21, 2007
        That is the big issue in that neck of the woods. Call Tom Leach,
        Harbormaster in Harwich; or Stewart Smith, Harbormaster in Chatham.
        They know the area better than anybody and can point you in the right
        direction.

        Overnight parking is the issue.

        David Jost
        former Harwich boater