Moving small boat around on land ...

  • Kenneth Grome
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 19, 2007
      A great way to make small boats easier for one person to handle on land is to
      make them into push/pull carts ...

      Simply install a PVC pipe straight through the hull from one side to the
      other, usually just above the floor in the middle of the boat is a good
      location. This is the only permanent modification to the boat. Make sure
      the pipe is straight when you epoxy/glass it into place, and cut it off flush
      with the outside of the hull so it doesn't drag in the water when you're
      using the boat.

      Then get yourself a couple of utility (wheelbarrow) wheels and a steel shaft
      that fits inside both the wheels and the pipe. The steel shaft will be the
      axle so it needs to be a foot or so longer than the installed PVC pipe, then
      it will stick out the ends of the pipe enough for the wheels to slide onto
      it.

      Now all you need is a way to hold the wheels onto the ends of the axle (big
      washers and trailer hitch safety pins work well) and viola -- your boat has
      become a cart that's easy to push or pull around on land!

      Yes this adds a small amount of weight to the boat itself, but a short piece
      of PVC pipe and a bit of extra glass/epoxy don't weigh very much -- and you
      do not have to take the axle and wheels with you on the boat (unless you want
      to of course).

      Sometimes it's not so bad to have a boat that's a bit heavier than you might
      like it. Heavier often means stronger, and that's a good thing. Besides,
      there are other ways of moving small boats around on land rather than
      carrying them, and this is one of my favorites ... :)

      Sincerely,
      Kenneth Grome
      Bagacay Boatworks
      www.bagacayboatworks.com