2007 MIDWEST MESSABOUT !!

  • vexatious2001
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 18, 2007
      The 2007 Midwest Messabout will be held on June 8, 9, &
      10 2007 @ Gun Creek Campground @ Rend Lake in South-central
      Illinois, USA.

      We have been reserving campspots #55 and #56 as "ground zero"
      for the event, but #55 has already been reserved by someone;
      so I have reserved #56 so we will have access to that beaching
      area, and also #48, which is a fairly-decent water-front
      spot over on the next leg. If it turns out that a fore-sighted
      messabouter has reserved #55, then I assume that the center
      of activities will be on #55 and #56. If a "bass-boater" has
      spot #55, then most likely #48 will be "ground zero."

      Maps of the campground and reservation info @

      http://www.rendlake.com/pages/recreation/campingguncreek.htm

      Looks like campspot fees are $14.00/ night this year, which
      includes the use of a very nice concrete launch ramp in a
      sheltered cove. If you want to leave your vehicle @ the
      ramp and not get a camp spot, the ramp fee was $3.00/ day
      last year; don't know if it has increased.

      For those that don't wish to camp, the closest accomodations
      (approx. 1/2 mile away) are
      http://www.rendlake.org/lodging-dining/seasonslodge.shtml

      As usual, there will be a "group-effort" Saturday evening
      meal. We will all vote on what we want for dinner (hamburgers
      and hot dogs) and a couple of us will run into town for
      supplies. You may contribute food or cash if you wish but
      there is no requirement to nor will anyone keep track of
      who contributes what. This plan always works well as one
      can never know in advance how many will attend the messabout,
      much less how many wish to eat my cooking (I understand that
      there is a petition circulating requesting that the Chef from
      last year cook again this year)

      Usually at least a few of us run-over to a local greasy spoon
      for breakfast on Sat. & Sunday mornings.

      I will be arriving Friday, late morning, and will head for
      home late Sunday morning. Usually a fair number of people
      will show-up during the afternoon on Friday, and most
      everyone is gone by noon Sunday, leaving Saturday as
      the "Big Day."

      Although it can never be guaranteed what boats or how many
      boats will show up, this messabout is usually a good
      place to see a bunch of home-made boats at one time.

      All are welcome; home-made boat, factory-made boat, or
      no boat.

      Any questions, you can drop me an e-mail:

      cadbury112@...

      or you can e-mail Jim Michalak (his e-mail address
      is on his website)

      Max