Re: [bolger] Re: Long Micro sail questions

    Message 1 of 25 , Jan 6, 2007
      On 1/5/07, Peter Lenihan <peterlenihan@...> wrote:

      > so and was very very pleased despite having to order from the
      > American west coast

      Peter, can/would you name the loft you used?

      I am toying with the idea of getting a 'real' mainsail cut, to replace
      my polytarp, for my Micro Navigator 'Rose'.

      [Now, FINALLY, after three years on a wait list for a San Francisco
      marina berth I got the call, and can finally move 'Rose' from her
      trailer to a downtown berth walking distance from my office.]

      {Back to the shop now, epoxy and chine tape on Topaz Spyder.}
    • Bill
      Message 2 of 25 , Jan 7, 2007
        Peter,
        I too would love to know the name of your loft. And anyone else with
        favorable experiences with lofts. I'm all ears.
        Bill

        > On 1/5/07, Peter Lenihan <peterlenihan@...> wrote:
        >
        > > so and was very very pleased despite having to order from the
        > > American west coast
        >
        > Peter, can/would you name the loft you used?
        >
        > I am toying with the idea of getting a 'real' mainsail cut, to replace
        > my polytarp, for my Micro Navigator 'Rose'.
        >
        > [Now, FINALLY, after three years on a wait list for a San Francisco
        > marina berth I got the call, and can finally move 'Rose' from her
        > trailer to a downtown berth walking distance from my office.]
        >
        > {Back to the shop now, epoxy and chine tape on Topaz Spyder.}

      • Peter Lenihan
        Message 3 of 25 , Jan 8, 2007
          Hi Bruce(and Bill!),

          My folder with all the bills relating to the building of my
          Micro is in deep storage and would take a while to dig out.
          However,I had ordered my sails through Common Sense Designs,when
          Bernie Wolfard was at the helm and Brainbridge Sails(Brainbridge
          Island?) for some reason keeps popping up in my memory as the source
          of the sails.
          Perhaps the best would be to contact Bernie( I think he still
          may be a member of this group) for exact details.
          In the meantime,I'll try and find time to head over to the
          storage warehouse where my stuff is and try to extract the relavent
          file .......not an easy thing for a dis-organized clown like myself:-)

          Congrats on getting a marina berth Bruce,and so close to work!

          Sincerely,

          Peter Lenihan

          > Peter, can/would you name the loft you used?
          >
          > [Now, FINALLY, after three years on a wait list for a San Francisco
          > marina berth I got the call, and can finally move 'Rose' from her
          > trailer to a downtown berth walking distance from my office.]
          >
          > {Back to the shop now, epoxy and chine tape on Topaz Spyder.}

        • Steven DAntonio
          Message 4 of 25 , Jan 9, 2007
            For those looking for the design, Payson refers to it as the "single
            handed schooner" on his web site, I have in in one of Bolgers books
            (Boats with an Open Mind: Seventy-Five Unconventional Designs and
            Concepts (ISBN: 0070063761)), but it is listed there as "His and Her's
            Schooners".

            I don't suppose anyone would scan in the article for those of us who
            are not wooden boat subscribers?

            Steven

            Message 5 of 25 , Jan 9, 2007
              Sorry, wrong thread, should have been posted to the SHS thread

              Message 6 of 25 , Jan 12, 2007
                Hi all,
                I have pondered the advice of those who replied to my questions
                concerning sail lofts for my Long Micro. Thanks. I decided to
                further my search for lofts beyond the local area. I wanted to find a
                loft that had sewn sails for a sprit-boom rig before. I didn't have
                to look far. My first stop was Gambell and Hunter, in Maine.
                http://www.gambellandhunter.com/contact.htm
                They are booked until July, which doesn't fit with my delusions that I
                will be launching early this summer. I looked at Dabbler Sails in
                Virginia.
                http://www.dabblersails.com/
                Stuart Hopkins (the owner) has sewn plenty of traditional sails,
                answered all my questions, and can probably get to my sails in late
                February or March. Perfect. He got my business, and his estimate was
                the same as the other lofts.

                I'll keep everyone posted. Back to the epoxy and such.

                Bill, in Ohio

                --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Lenihan" <peterlenihan@...> wrote:

                > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce Hallman" <bruce@> wrote:
                > Hi Bruce(and Bill!),
                >
                > My folder with all the bills relating to the building of my
                > Micro is in deep storage and would take a while to dig out.
                > However,I had ordered my sails through Common Sense Designs,when
                > Bernie Wolfard was at the helm and Brainbridge Sails(Brainbridge
                > Island?) for some reason keeps popping up in my memory as the source
                > of the sails.
                > Perhaps the best would be to contact Bernie( I think he still
                > may be a member of this group) for exact details.
                > In the meantime,I'll try and find time to head over to the
                > storage warehouse where my stuff is and try to extract the relavent
                > file .......not an easy thing for a dis-organized clown like myself:-)
                >
                > Congrats on getting a marina berth Bruce,and so close to work!
                >

                > Sincerely,
                >
                > Peter Lenihan
                >

                > > Peter, can/would you name the loft you used?
                > >
                > > [Now, FINALLY, after three years on a wait list for a San Francisco
                > > marina berth I got the call, and can finally move 'Rose' from her
                > > trailer to a downtown berth walking distance from my office.]
                > >
                > > {Back to the shop now, epoxy and chine tape on Topaz Spyder.}
              • Kristine Bennett
                Message 7 of 25 , Jan 12, 2007
                  Good Evening all I do hope your new year has got off
                  to a good start.

                  Now to my need... I know I had looked at a file for
                  the Bonefish here and I can't find it again. Would
                  someone know where it is at?

                  Yes I'm having a blond day.

                  Blessings to all
                  Krissie

                  Message 8 of 25 , Jan 13, 2007

                    Here ya go Kristine;

                    Now,what the blazes is a "blond day".....we have sunny days,cloudy
                    days,rainy days,snowy days even grey days but blond?

                    Sincerely,

                    Peter Lenihan, having a cloudy/rainy day combo here along the shores
                    of the St.lawrence..........

                    _______________
                    > http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/265

                  • Peter Lenihan
                    Message 9 of 25 , Jan 13, 2007
                      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Bill" <kingw@...> wrote:

                      Hi Bill,

                      Good to hear that you have found a loft that fits your needs!
                      Nothing worse then being stuck with a finished boat ready to launch
                      with no sails.
                      Sorry I wasn't able to dig up the name of the sail loft I used
                      but THANK YOU for sparing me the task of rummaging through boxes and
                      boxes of "stuff" :-) Come to think of it, considering the age of the
                      purchase, whatever ever price I would have paid then would be totally
                      different today for you.

                      Continued success with your build and I'll keep my fingers and
                      toes crossed that your wish for an early summer launch comes true!

                      Sincerely,

                      Peter Lenihan, hoping for my own summer launch so that I can get back
                      to the fun business of drinking lots of ill gotten booty,some rapin'-n-
                      pillagin',terrorizing small river-side villages and all the other fun
                      pirate stuff there is to do,from along the shores of the mighty
                      St.Lawrence.............

                      > Hi all,
                      > I have pondered the advice of those who replied to my questions
                      > concerning sail lofts for my Long Micro. Thanks. I decided to
                      > further my search for lofts beyond the local area.
                    • W & C White
                      Message 10 of 25 , Jan 13, 2007
                        To the Bolgerista seeking a sailmaker:

                        I have nearly completed a Folding Schooner. Have the sails, from
                        Dabbler Sails, Box 235, Wicomico Church, VA. 22579. Haven't had a
                        chance to test them yet, of course, but used to live on the Great
                        Wicomico River nearby, and owner/sailmaker Stuart Hopkins did some
                        rigging work for me several years ago. He specializes in four-cornered
                        sails, and has made a number for various Bolger designs. The sails he
                        made for my schooner look great. You might want to give him a call.
                        804-580-8723.

                        -- Will White
                      • lancasterdennis
                        Message 11 of 25 , Jan 15, 2007
                          Thought I'd chime in here well after the fact. I purchased my sails
                          for my Oldshoe from Duckworks. Very fair prices and kindly folks to
                          work with. I could have spent more than twice the price and got
                          highly finished sails, but what I got were very functional sails with
                          a full money back agreement if I'm unhappy with them and a reputation
                          that no sails have been returned. I can't tell you how they work, as
                          I'm still building my boat! I did a fair amount of research before
                          choosing Duckworks. I guess price and customer service are what sold
                          me. I have to keep reminding myself that I am not building a racing
                          machine, my boat will not be perfect and really, all that I am after
                          is a safe boat that I can relax and enjoy some easy lake sailing. I
                          would most certainly recommend Duckworks.

                          Fairwinds,

                          Dennis
                          (building an "Oldshoe" in Bellingham, WA)

                        • derbyrm
                          Message 12 of 25 , Jan 15, 2007
                            I think she meant blonde, as in:

                            A blonde calls her boyfriend and says, "Please come over here and help me. I have a killer jigsaw puzzle, and I can't figure out how to get it started."

                            Her boyfriend asks, "What is it supposed to be when it's finished?"

                            The blonde says, "According to the picture on the box, it's a tiger."

                            Her boyfriend decides to go over and help with the puzzle. She lets him in and shows him where she has the puzzle spread all over the table.

                            He studies the pieces for a moment, then looks at the box, then turns to her and says, "First of all, no matter what we do, we're not going to be able to assemble these pieces into anything resembling a tiger."

                            He takes her hand and says, "Second, I want you to relax. Let's have a nice cup of tea, and then ..." he sighed ...
                            "Let's put all the Frosted Flakes back in the box......."

                            Roger
                            derbyrm@...
                            http://home.insightbb.com/~derbyrm

                            _______________
                            > http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/265

                          • devemaster1
                            Message 13 of 25 , Jan 15, 2007
                              And then-

                              The boyfriend gave her a REAL jigsaw puzzle, a 100 piece jobbie of a
                              duckie and a horsie that said for 3 to 5 years, knowing full well that
                              she would be thrilled when she solved it in only 2 years.

                              Sorry, couldn't resist.

                              Message 14 of 25 , Jan 15, 2007
                                I was afraid I was going to start something.

                                Let's blame it on Krissie.

                                Message 15 of 25 , Jan 18, 2007
                                  Ok blame the dyke out on the west coast. Yep she done,
                                  did it! Yep Yep. I need to thank you guys When I first
                                  looked at this I passed it off and then took the time
                                  to reread it and just laughed myself silly! Yes it was
                                  something I needed seeing how I was in the dumps at
                                  the time. I'll be honest spelling is not my best
                                  subject seeing how I'm dislexic, even with spell check
                                  I'm not always sure thinges are right. I will laugh
                                  right along with you when I make a mistake! For me
                                  life is far to short to be mad all the time like some
                                  in this world.

                                  Laughter is good for the heart and soul!

                                  Bright Blessings to you all!
                                  Krissie

                                  Try the free Yahoo! Mail Beta.
                                • Jon & Wanda(Tink)
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Jan 18, 2007
                                    We where all laughing at the joke and not at you. It is good to be
                                    humble at times for when you can laugh at yourself you are in
                                    controle. The other side is give everyone a bad time so no one feals
                                    naglected.

                                    Jon

                                    > Ok blame the dyke out on the west coast. Yep she done,
                                    > did it! Yep Yep. I need to thank you guys When I first
                                    > looked at this I passed it off and then took the time
                                    > to reread it and just laughed myself silly! Yes it was
                                    > something I needed seeing how I was in the dumps at
                                    > the time. I'll be honest spelling is not my best
                                    > subject seeing how I'm dislexic, even with spell check
                                    > I'm not always sure thinges are right. I will laugh
                                    > right along with you when I make a mistake! For me
                                    > life is far to short to be mad all the time like some
                                    > in this world.
                                    >
                                    > Laughter is good for the heart and soul!
                                    >
                                    > Bright Blessings to you all!
                                    > Krissie
                                  • Howard Stephenson
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Jan 19, 2007
                                      Who decided that "dyslexic" should be spelled like that, making it
                                      hard for dyslexics? Maybe the same person who decided that "lisp"
                                      should have an "s" in it.

                                      Anyway, Krissie, you're in good company. Read a few of LF Herreshoff's
                                      plans and you'll see he was dyslexic too.

                                      Howard

                                      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Kristine Bennett <femmpaws@> wrote:

                                      I'll be honest spelling is not my best
                                      > subject seeing how I'm dislexic,
                                    • donschultz8275
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Jan 20, 2007

                                        Ya gotta know you're in trouble when the word phonics starts with a p.
                                      • devemaster1
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Jan 21, 2007
                                          I'll take full responsibility for my involvement, such as it was, and
                                          you can laugh hardest at me, especially if you have a boat, working or
                                          not, because you're closer to the dream than I am.

                                          Currently my boats are of the conceptual variety with the occasional
                                          paper model. More often they are scribblings in the margins of "mmore
                                          important" paperwork.

                                          Soon though, I hope, THE BOAT will begin to be built. As Jim Kirk
                                          might say: Must...hang on... to ...the...dream!

                                          cheers,

                                          Steve

                                          > Ok blame the dyke out on the west coast. Yep she done,
                                          > did it! Yep Yep. I need to thank you guys When I first
                                          > looked at this I passed it off and then took the time
                                          > to reread it and just laughed myself silly! Yes it was
                                          > something I needed seeing how I was in the dumps at
                                          > the time. I'll be honest spelling is not my best
                                          > subject seeing how I'm dislexic, even with spell check
                                          > I'm not always sure thinges are right. I will laugh
                                          > right along with you when I make a mistake! For me
                                          > life is far to short to be mad all the time like some
                                          > in this world.
                                          >
                                          > Laughter is good for the heart and soul!
                                          >
                                          > Bright Blessings to you all!
                                          > Krissie
                                          >
                                          > --- derbyrm <derbyrm@...> wrote:
                                          >
                                          > > I was afraid I was going to start something.
                                          > >
                                          > > Let's blame it on Krissie.
                                          > >
                                          > > Roger
                                          > > derbyrm@...
                                          > > http://home.insightbb.com/~derbyrm

                                        • Kristine Bennett
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Jan 21, 2007
                                            Hey Steve I have a old 17 foot fiberglass vee hull
                                            that is going to get fixed up. I've been on San Juan
                                            Island for over 7 years and have never put a boat in
                                            the water! I had the outboard stolen off it and the
                                            cops were less then helpful.

                                            Well last weekend I picked up a good running 65 HP
                                            that was being trouted as a short shaft.... Well it's
                                            a long shaft and will be going on the hull as soon as
                                            the weather warms up.

                                            Then I will be fixing up the hull with a small cabin
                                            and leave room in the back so there is room to sleep
                                            on the deck. I'm thinking of putting a small walk
                                            through cabin on it with two seats and a bit of
                                            counterspace so one can do a bit of cooking when you
                                            are out. Cold food is not fun when it's cold out there
                                            too!

                                            Hey at times Dreams are the only thing that keep us
                                            alive and moving ahead!

                                            So keep the dream alive and well! For if it was not
                                            for me keeping a dream alive I would be dead. It was
                                            just a small dream that did the job. When you hate
                                            life it's hard to keep a dream alive. But I did and
                                            I'm still here and very much in love with life!

                                            So keep on dreaming but at some point make the dream
                                            REAL TOO! I did and enjoying it every day!

                                            Very Bright Blessings to all
                                            Krissie

                                            --- devemaster1 <devemaster1@...> wrote:

                                            > I'll take full responsibility for my involvement,
                                            > such as it was, and
                                            > you can laugh hardest at me, especially if you have
                                            > a boat, working or
                                            > not, because you're closer to the dream than I am.
                                            >
                                            > Currently my boats are of the conceptual variety
                                            > with the occasional
                                            > paper model. More often they are scribblings in the
                                            > margins of "mmore
                                            > important" paperwork.
                                            >
                                            > Soon though, I hope, THE BOAT will begin to be
                                            > built. As Jim Kirk
                                            > might say: Must...hang on... to ...the...dream!
                                            >

                                            > cheers,
                                            >
                                            > Steve

                                          • devemaster1
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Jan 22, 2007
                                              Your boat project sounds very nice. From what I've seen of the San
                                              Juans, it is a beautiful place. I spent some time out there, plus
                                              Seattle and Bellingham. Nice view of the islands from the top of the
                                              Chuckanut range. I wish you luck, and yes I will keep dreaming, and
                                              maybe start building soon!

                                              Steve