Re: Long Micro sail questions

  • Peter Lenihan
    Message 1 of 25 , Jan 5, 2007
      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Bill" <kingw@...> wrote:
      > Here are my questions:
      > 1. Both lofts suggested adding two or three battens to the main.
      The
      > picture of Andrew Pryor's LM (in the files section of this group,
      > listed as "launched 2.") appears to show three battens in his
      main.
      > The picture is small, but... What are your thought about battens?
      > I had not considered them, but I am not in the sail making
      business.

      Follow the sail plan,as per Bolger, and things will be just
      fine.After all,how many rigs like this has He designed and had
      built.Do not mess with success :-)

      > 2. The general consensus from past discussions in this group, what
      > have read, and my experiences with my Gypsy sail is that the foot
      of
      > the sail should be cut straight. I attempted to add belly to my
      Gypsy
      > sail by cutting the foot in a curve. It was a disaster. So
      straigh
      > cut on the foot. Period. Ja?

      Oui! A straight cut for the foot since this effectively acts as a
      boom-vang on these types of sails and prevents the sprit-boom from
      lifting! Tres important mon amie :-)

      > 3. The mizzens should be cut flat, or almost flat. Tightening the
      > snotter should remove any belly from the mizzen. Overly "plump"
      > mizzens cause troubles. Ja?

      Oui encore! Dead flat cut to this sail as it serves more for balance
      then drive.A nice stiff sheet of plywood would be just as effective
      (but ugly).Think windvane :-)

      > 4. Is there anything else I should be aware of?

      Beware of sailmakers ranting about mast bend etc... a sure sign they
      are not truly familiar/experienced with these wonderful sails.I once
      went through a similar run-around with a local sailmaker,asking the
      same questions. I replied,"I don't know." Called Bolger and his
      simple reply was,in essence...these rigs are so small and simple so
      as not to need fancy cutting....suggest you find another loft. I did
      so and was very very pleased despite having to order from the
      American west coast despite a loft 15 minutes from home.....

      > 5. Besides their better price, my local sail loft will help tune
      the
      > sails once I am on the water. A nice perk although I will probably
      > have to bribe them aboard with grog and hardtack.

      These "old fashion" sails do not need any tuning other then what you
      will provide through tensioning the snotter.Keep your grog and
      biscuits for friends and pirates :-)

      Sincerely,

      Peter Lenihan, lover of grog-n-biscuits, from along the shores of
      the wet St.Lawrence.............
    • dnjost
      Message 2 of 25 , Jan 6, 2007
        Bill -

        1. the mast bend on a non-stayed rig helps to spill the air as
        things heat up. You might pick up a degree or two to windward with a
        well cut sail accounting for mast bend, but with the tip of the mast
        falling off to leeward I doubt that you will gain more. On unstayed
        dinghys used for racing, we always build the sails with the mast bend
        measured. Long Micro is a cruiser...I doubt it's worth the effort.

        2. don't put in the battens. they are only effective for driving
        the boat off the wind. You will find the rig plenty powerful to get
        to hull speed which is as fast as the boat is going to go
        regardless. Battens are a pain in the butt when reefing and storing
        the sail and increase maintenance costs.

        I built a sail last year with no battens and did not notice a
        signifant effect upwind, only downwind. But, the trade off was worth
        it as reefing and storing is incredibly simple.

        good luck with your project,
        David Jost
        Message 3 of 25 , Jan 6, 2007
          On 1/5/07, Peter Lenihan <peterlenihan@...> wrote:

          > so and was very very pleased despite having to order from the
          > American west coast

          Peter, can/would you name the loft you used?

          I am toying with the idea of getting a 'real' mainsail cut, to replace
          my polytarp, for my Micro Navigator 'Rose'.

          [Now, FINALLY, after three years on a wait list for a San Francisco
          marina berth I got the call, and can finally move 'Rose' from her
          trailer to a downtown berth walking distance from my office.]

          {Back to the shop now, epoxy and chine tape on Topaz Spyder.}
        • Bill
          Message 4 of 25 , Jan 7, 2007
            Peter,
            I too would love to know the name of your loft. And anyone else with
            favorable experiences with lofts. I'm all ears.
            Bill

            Message 5 of 25 , Jan 8, 2007
              Hi Bruce(and Bill!),

              My folder with all the bills relating to the building of my
              Micro is in deep storage and would take a while to dig out.
              However,I had ordered my sails through Common Sense Designs,when
              Bernie Wolfard was at the helm and Brainbridge Sails(Brainbridge
              Island?) for some reason keeps popping up in my memory as the source
              of the sails.
              Perhaps the best would be to contact Bernie( I think he still
              may be a member of this group) for exact details.
              In the meantime,I'll try and find time to head over to the
              storage warehouse where my stuff is and try to extract the relavent
              file .......not an easy thing for a dis-organized clown like myself:-)

              Congrats on getting a marina berth Bruce,and so close to work!

              Sincerely,

              Peter Lenihan

              > Peter, can/would you name the loft you used?
              >
              > [Now, FINALLY, after three years on a wait list for a San Francisco
              > marina berth I got the call, and can finally move 'Rose' from her
              > trailer to a downtown berth walking distance from my office.]
              >
              > {Back to the shop now, epoxy and chine tape on Topaz Spyder.}

            • Steven DAntonio
              Message 6 of 25 , Jan 9, 2007
                For those looking for the design, Payson refers to it as the "single
                handed schooner" on his web site, I have in in one of Bolgers books
                (Boats with an Open Mind: Seventy-Five Unconventional Designs and
                Concepts (ISBN: 0070063761)), but it is listed there as "His and Her's
                Schooners".

                I don't suppose anyone would scan in the article for those of us who
                are not wooden boat subscribers?

                Steven

                Message 7 of 25 , Jan 9, 2007
                  Sorry, wrong thread, should have been posted to the SHS thread

                  Message 8 of 25 , Jan 12, 2007
                    Hi all,
                    I have pondered the advice of those who replied to my questions
                    concerning sail lofts for my Long Micro. Thanks. I decided to
                    further my search for lofts beyond the local area. I wanted to find a
                    loft that had sewn sails for a sprit-boom rig before. I didn't have
                    to look far. My first stop was Gambell and Hunter, in Maine.
                    http://www.gambellandhunter.com/contact.htm
                    They are booked until July, which doesn't fit with my delusions that I
                    will be launching early this summer. I looked at Dabbler Sails in
                    Virginia.
                    http://www.dabblersails.com/
                    Stuart Hopkins (the owner) has sewn plenty of traditional sails,
                    answered all my questions, and can probably get to my sails in late
                    February or March. Perfect. He got my business, and his estimate was
                    the same as the other lofts.

                    I'll keep everyone posted. Back to the epoxy and such.

                    Bill, in Ohio

                    --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Lenihan" <peterlenihan@...> wrote:

                    > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce Hallman" <bruce@> wrote:
                    > Hi Bruce(and Bill!),
                    >
                    > My folder with all the bills relating to the building of my
                    > Micro is in deep storage and would take a while to dig out.
                    > However,I had ordered my sails through Common Sense Designs,when
                    > Bernie Wolfard was at the helm and Brainbridge Sails(Brainbridge
                    > Island?) for some reason keeps popping up in my memory as the source
                    > of the sails.
                    > Perhaps the best would be to contact Bernie( I think he still
                    > may be a member of this group) for exact details.
                    > In the meantime,I'll try and find time to head over to the
                    > storage warehouse where my stuff is and try to extract the relavent
                    > file .......not an easy thing for a dis-organized clown like myself:-)
                    >
                    > Congrats on getting a marina berth Bruce,and so close to work!
                    >

                    > Sincerely,
                    >
                    > Peter Lenihan
                    >

                    > > Peter, can/would you name the loft you used?
                    > >
                    > > [Now, FINALLY, after three years on a wait list for a San Francisco
                    > > marina berth I got the call, and can finally move 'Rose' from her
                    > > trailer to a downtown berth walking distance from my office.]
                    > >
                    > > {Back to the shop now, epoxy and chine tape on Topaz Spyder.}
                  • Kristine Bennett
                    Message 9 of 25 , Jan 12, 2007
                      Good Evening all I do hope your new year has got off
                      to a good start.

                      Now to my need... I know I had looked at a file for
                      the Bonefish here and I can't find it again. Would
                      someone know where it is at?

                      Yes I'm having a blond day.

                      Blessings to all
                      Krissie

                      Message 10 of 25 , Jan 13, 2007

                        Here ya go Kristine;

                        Now,what the blazes is a "blond day".....we have sunny days,cloudy
                        days,rainy days,snowy days even grey days but blond?

                        Sincerely,

                        Peter Lenihan, having a cloudy/rainy day combo here along the shores
                        of the St.lawrence..........

                        _______________
                        > http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/265

                      • Peter Lenihan
                        Message 11 of 25 , Jan 13, 2007
                          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Bill" <kingw@...> wrote:

                          Hi Bill,

                          Good to hear that you have found a loft that fits your needs!
                          Nothing worse then being stuck with a finished boat ready to launch
                          with no sails.
                          Sorry I wasn't able to dig up the name of the sail loft I used
                          but THANK YOU for sparing me the task of rummaging through boxes and
                          boxes of "stuff" :-) Come to think of it, considering the age of the
                          purchase, whatever ever price I would have paid then would be totally
                          different today for you.

                          Continued success with your build and I'll keep my fingers and
                          toes crossed that your wish for an early summer launch comes true!

                          Sincerely,

                          Peter Lenihan, hoping for my own summer launch so that I can get back
                          to the fun business of drinking lots of ill gotten booty,some rapin'-n-
                          pillagin',terrorizing small river-side villages and all the other fun
                          pirate stuff there is to do,from along the shores of the mighty
                          St.Lawrence.............

                          > Hi all,
                          > I have pondered the advice of those who replied to my questions
                          > concerning sail lofts for my Long Micro. Thanks. I decided to
                          > further my search for lofts beyond the local area.
                        • W & C White
                          Message 12 of 25 , Jan 13, 2007
                            To the Bolgerista seeking a sailmaker:

                            I have nearly completed a Folding Schooner. Have the sails, from
                            Dabbler Sails, Box 235, Wicomico Church, VA. 22579. Haven't had a
                            chance to test them yet, of course, but used to live on the Great
                            Wicomico River nearby, and owner/sailmaker Stuart Hopkins did some
                            rigging work for me several years ago. He specializes in four-cornered
                            sails, and has made a number for various Bolger designs. The sails he
                            made for my schooner look great. You might want to give him a call.
                            804-580-8723.

                            -- Will White
                          • lancasterdennis
                            Message 13 of 25 , Jan 15, 2007
                              Thought I'd chime in here well after the fact. I purchased my sails
                              for my Oldshoe from Duckworks. Very fair prices and kindly folks to
                              work with. I could have spent more than twice the price and got
                              highly finished sails, but what I got were very functional sails with
                              a full money back agreement if I'm unhappy with them and a reputation
                              that no sails have been returned. I can't tell you how they work, as
                              I'm still building my boat! I did a fair amount of research before
                              choosing Duckworks. I guess price and customer service are what sold
                              me. I have to keep reminding myself that I am not building a racing
                              machine, my boat will not be perfect and really, all that I am after
                              is a safe boat that I can relax and enjoy some easy lake sailing. I
                              would most certainly recommend Duckworks.

                              Fairwinds,

                              Dennis
                              (building an "Oldshoe" in Bellingham, WA)

                            • derbyrm
                              Message 14 of 25 , Jan 15, 2007
                                I think she meant blonde, as in:

                                A blonde calls her boyfriend and says, "Please come over here and help me. I have a killer jigsaw puzzle, and I can't figure out how to get it started."

                                Her boyfriend asks, "What is it supposed to be when it's finished?"

                                The blonde says, "According to the picture on the box, it's a tiger."

                                Her boyfriend decides to go over and help with the puzzle. She lets him in and shows him where she has the puzzle spread all over the table.

                                He studies the pieces for a moment, then looks at the box, then turns to her and says, "First of all, no matter what we do, we're not going to be able to assemble these pieces into anything resembling a tiger."

                                He takes her hand and says, "Second, I want you to relax. Let's have a nice cup of tea, and then ..." he sighed ...
                                "Let's put all the Frosted Flakes back in the box......."

                                Roger
                                derbyrm@...
                                http://home.insightbb.com/~derbyrm

                                _______________
                                > http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/265

                              • devemaster1
                                Message 15 of 25 , Jan 15, 2007
                                  And then-

                                  The boyfriend gave her a REAL jigsaw puzzle, a 100 piece jobbie of a
                                  duckie and a horsie that said for 3 to 5 years, knowing full well that
                                  she would be thrilled when she solved it in only 2 years.

                                  Sorry, couldn't resist.

                                  Message 16 of 25 , Jan 15, 2007
                                    I was afraid I was going to start something.

                                    Let's blame it on Krissie.

                                    Message 17 of 25 , Jan 18, 2007
                                      Ok blame the dyke out on the west coast. Yep she done,
                                      did it! Yep Yep. I need to thank you guys When I first
                                      looked at this I passed it off and then took the time
                                      to reread it and just laughed myself silly! Yes it was
                                      something I needed seeing how I was in the dumps at
                                      the time. I'll be honest spelling is not my best
                                      subject seeing how I'm dislexic, even with spell check
                                      I'm not always sure thinges are right. I will laugh
                                      right along with you when I make a mistake! For me
                                      life is far to short to be mad all the time like some
                                      in this world.

                                      Laughter is good for the heart and soul!

                                      Bright Blessings to you all!
                                      Krissie

                                      Try the free Yahoo! Mail Beta.
                                    • Jon & Wanda(Tink)
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Jan 18, 2007
                                        We where all laughing at the joke and not at you. It is good to be
                                        humble at times for when you can laugh at yourself you are in
                                        controle. The other side is give everyone a bad time so no one feals
                                        naglected.

                                        Jon

                                        > Ok blame the dyke out on the west coast. Yep she done,
                                        > did it! Yep Yep. I need to thank you guys When I first
                                        > looked at this I passed it off and then took the time
                                        > to reread it and just laughed myself silly! Yes it was
                                        > something I needed seeing how I was in the dumps at
                                        > the time. I'll be honest spelling is not my best
                                        > subject seeing how I'm dislexic, even with spell check
                                        > I'm not always sure thinges are right. I will laugh
                                        > right along with you when I make a mistake! For me
                                        > life is far to short to be mad all the time like some
                                        > in this world.
                                        >
                                        > Laughter is good for the heart and soul!
                                        >
                                        > Bright Blessings to you all!
                                        > Krissie
                                      • Howard Stephenson
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Jan 19, 2007
                                          Who decided that "dyslexic" should be spelled like that, making it
                                          hard for dyslexics? Maybe the same person who decided that "lisp"
                                          should have an "s" in it.

                                          Anyway, Krissie, you're in good company. Read a few of LF Herreshoff's
                                          plans and you'll see he was dyslexic too.

                                          Howard

                                          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Kristine Bennett <femmpaws@> wrote:

                                          I'll be honest spelling is not my best
                                          > subject seeing how I'm dislexic,
                                        • donschultz8275
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Jan 20, 2007

                                            Ya gotta know you're in trouble when the word phonics starts with a p.
                                          • devemaster1
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Jan 21, 2007
                                              I'll take full responsibility for my involvement, such as it was, and
                                              you can laugh hardest at me, especially if you have a boat, working or
                                              not, because you're closer to the dream than I am.

                                              Currently my boats are of the conceptual variety with the occasional
                                              paper model. More often they are scribblings in the margins of "mmore
                                              important" paperwork.

                                              Soon though, I hope, THE BOAT will begin to be built. As Jim Kirk
                                              might say: Must...hang on... to ...the...dream!

                                              cheers,

                                              Steve

                                              > Ok blame the dyke out on the west coast. Yep she done,
                                              > did it! Yep Yep. I need to thank you guys When I first
                                              > looked at this I passed it off and then took the time
                                              > to reread it and just laughed myself silly! Yes it was
                                              > something I needed seeing how I was in the dumps at
                                              > the time. I'll be honest spelling is not my best
                                              > subject seeing how I'm dislexic, even with spell check
                                              > I'm not always sure thinges are right. I will laugh
                                              > right along with you when I make a mistake! For me
                                              > life is far to short to be mad all the time like some
                                              > in this world.
                                              >
                                              > Laughter is good for the heart and soul!
                                              >
                                              > Bright Blessings to you all!
                                              > Krissie
                                              >
                                              > --- derbyrm <derbyrm@...> wrote:
                                              >
                                              > > I was afraid I was going to start something.
                                              > >
                                              > > Let's blame it on Krissie.
                                              > >
                                              > > Roger
                                              > > derbyrm@...
                                              > > http://home.insightbb.com/~derbyrm

                                            • Kristine Bennett
                                              Message 22 of 25 , Jan 21, 2007
                                                Hey Steve I have a old 17 foot fiberglass vee hull
                                                that is going to get fixed up. I've been on San Juan
                                                Island for over 7 years and have never put a boat in
                                                the water! I had the outboard stolen off it and the
                                                cops were less then helpful.

                                                Well last weekend I picked up a good running 65 HP
                                                that was being trouted as a short shaft.... Well it's
                                                a long shaft and will be going on the hull as soon as
                                                the weather warms up.

                                                Then I will be fixing up the hull with a small cabin
                                                and leave room in the back so there is room to sleep
                                                on the deck. I'm thinking of putting a small walk
                                                through cabin on it with two seats and a bit of
                                                counterspace so one can do a bit of cooking when you
                                                are out. Cold food is not fun when it's cold out there
                                                too!

                                                Hey at times Dreams are the only thing that keep us
                                                alive and moving ahead!

                                                So keep the dream alive and well! For if it was not
                                                for me keeping a dream alive I would be dead. It was
                                                just a small dream that did the job. When you hate
                                                life it's hard to keep a dream alive. But I did and
                                                I'm still here and very much in love with life!

                                                So keep on dreaming but at some point make the dream
                                                REAL TOO! I did and enjoying it every day!

                                                Very Bright Blessings to all
                                                Krissie

                                                --- devemaster1 <devemaster1@...> wrote:

                                                > I'll take full responsibility for my involvement,
                                                > such as it was, and
                                                > you can laugh hardest at me, especially if you have
                                                > a boat, working or
                                                > not, because you're closer to the dream than I am.
                                                >
                                                > Currently my boats are of the conceptual variety
                                                > with the occasional
                                                > paper model. More often they are scribblings in the
                                                > margins of "mmore
                                                > important" paperwork.
                                                >
                                                > Soon though, I hope, THE BOAT will begin to be
                                                > built. As Jim Kirk
                                                > might say: Must...hang on... to ...the...dream!
                                                >

                                                > cheers,
                                                >
                                                > Steve

                                              • devemaster1
                                                Message 23 of 25 , Jan 22, 2007
                                                  Your boat project sounds very nice. From what I've seen of the San
                                                  Juans, it is a beautiful place. I spent some time out there, plus
                                                  Seattle and Bellingham. Nice view of the islands from the top of the
                                                  Chuckanut range. I wish you luck, and yes I will keep dreaming, and
                                                  maybe start building soon!

                                                  Steve