Re: [bolger] Re: Lapstrake, Single Handed Schooner

    Message 1 of 38 , Jan 4, 2007
      > PCB mentions that Tony Groves built an A-frame hoist,

      Seems to me that a pair of oars, connected with a bit of lashing,
      would suit just fine as an "A-frame" to use as a hoist.
    • Harry James
      Message 38 of 38 , Aug 5, 2010
        Sue are you still out there?

        I was going through back emails and came across this one , part of a conversation that Bruce started with as lapstrake version of the single handed schooner. I had blown right by the Watertribe part.

        So how serious a contender could a Singlehanded Schooner be? You could sleep one crew at a time, you could row effectively. You could hang serious amounts of sail out off the wind in light airs. The one shortcoming would be going to windward in light going, might be able to compensate with rowing. You could maybe lighten up the scantlings with the lapstrake construction.

        There are vets of the Florida Everglades challenge on the list,maybe they could comment.

        HJ

        Could you rig a seat in the back and row?

        You can, and that's job #1 on my list for spring commissioning in a
        couple of months.  I'm hoping to enter her in the Watertribe one of
        these years.  There's just enough room to set up a sliding rowing
        seat, and you can brace your feet against bulkhead "D".  The one
        problem (other than general heaviness) is that the mainmast and
        mainmast partner prevent you from leaning back enough for good rowing
        form over a long distance -- I plan to use rowing strictly as
        auxiliary propulsion, for getting back in to the mooring area when the
        wind has died completely.

        One of these years, I may try an experiment with a yuloh....