Re: Long Micro update

  • Bill
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 3, 2007
      Peter,
      Thanks for confirming what I had initially thought about reboarding
      from the water via the front "step." As long as the weather remains
      warmer than usual I'll keep plugging away here.

      Bill in Ohio

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Lenihan" <peterlenihan@...> wrote:

      > Good to hear that progress is being made Bill,despite the time of year
      > and thanks indeed to some very mild weather :-)
      > Regarding boarding from the water; install a small telescoping ladder
      > (or folding one for that matter) off one of the transoms.Those"steps"
      > shown on the bow-transom are really more useful for stepping off onto
      > a beach etc than hauling oneself up out of the water.That is, unless
      > you are the next Charlie Atlas with super strong arms and upper body
      > strength :-D
      > I once had a dicey situation which called for me to board my ex-Micro
      > LESTAT from deep water and it came delicately close to curtains for me
      > had I not gone around to the back of the boat and managed to literally
      > haul myself up and over the transom using the outboard foot and
      > mainsheet traveller I had installed.............
      >
      > Thanks for the pictures and continued sucess!!
      >

      > Sincerely,
      >
      > Peter Lenihan, from along the thawing shores of the mighty
      > St.Lawrence..............

    • dnjost
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 3, 2007
        I second the motion here. The stern is the best way to get back in
        from deeper water. When I solo, I keep a life harness on, and a
        coiled rope fastened to a cleat on the transom to hold on to if the
        need arises. The motor is the best step that can be found usually.
        A strong traveller is a help here as well for stern sheeted boats.
        Had this issue on an old Herreshoff of mine, while it was not a life
        threatening situation (in the harbor), it was embarrassing to say the
        least.

        Plans for Birdwatcher have been unrolled, carefully measured, and
        materials for the mast close by. I am sensing a breakthrough this
        month as the basement is finally clear of old junk.

        David Jost