Long Micro update

  • Bill
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 2, 2007
      Hi all,
      Unseasonably warm weather for the past few weeks has allowed me make
      decent progress on my LM. Since late November I've been toiling on
      the bow well (aka the anchor locker). This represents the second time
      I have deviated significantly from the stock plans. I followed Andrew
      Pryor's technique on the bow well. Basically, the bottom half is
      filled with foam (per the plans), but the floor of the well (.5 inch
      ply- 12 mm for everyone else) is then sealed and fiberglassed in
      place. The plans show a removable floor for the bow well and thus
      water passes freely past the foam (and out two small drain holes in
      the very bottom of the well). I added a small inspection port (with a
      small weep-hole) into the sealed foam chamber in the bow. This
      inspection port passes through the bulkhead between the bow well and
      the "galley". I sloped my permanent bow well floor with the lowest
      point aft, with about 2 inches of drop. I also added a V-shaped piece
      of shaped plywood, to direct water in the well towards either of the
      two drain holes. I was concerned that water might collect along the
      galley bulkhead. I covered the whole well-floor with 4 oz. figerglass
      and added two braces to the two tabernacle posts (which are *cough*
      also overbuilt). Oh. The two drains from the bow well are approx. 2.5
      inches in diameter, and with a little teardrop shape to them. I cannot
      fit my foot into them, but I opted to keep them small. I know that
      someone had suggested using these as foot-holds if one is tossed
      overboard. If I were in the water, I know I could get one foot up to
      the drain, but levering my body upright seems like quite a task. I
      think I'll swim for the transom.

      http://personal.bgsu.edu/~kingw/boat/

      Future tasks involve finishing the main sail boom (almost done),
      finishing the mast (about half-done), finishing the port (in the
      *ahem* galley), and making the mizzen mast. At last count I had 615
      hours in building invested. And it's all been fun.

      Bill, in Ohio
    • Peter Lenihan
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 3, 2007
        Good to hear that progress is being made Bill,despite the time of year
        and thanks indeed to some very mild weather :-)
        Regarding boarding from the water; install a small telescoping ladder
        (or folding one for that matter) off one of the transoms.Those"steps"
        shown on the bow-transom are really more useful for stepping off onto
        a beach etc than hauling oneself up out of the water.That is, unless
        you are the next Charlie Atlas with super strong arms and upper body
        strength :-D
        I once had a dicey situation which called for me to board my ex-Micro
        LESTAT from deep water and it came delicately close to curtains for me
        had I not gone around to the back of the boat and managed to literally
        haul myself up and over the transom using the outboard foot and
        mainsheet traveller I had installed.............

        Thanks for the pictures and continued sucess!!

        Sincerely,

        Peter Lenihan, from along the thawing shores of the mighty
        St.Lawrence..............

        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 3, 2007
          Peter,
          Thanks for confirming what I had initially thought about reboarding
          from the water via the front "step." As long as the weather remains
          warmer than usual I'll keep plugging away here.

          Bill in Ohio

          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Lenihan" <peterlenihan@...> wrote:

          > Good to hear that progress is being made Bill,despite the time of year
          > and thanks indeed to some very mild weather :-)
          > Regarding boarding from the water; install a small telescoping ladder
          > (or folding one for that matter) off one of the transoms.Those"steps"
          > shown on the bow-transom are really more useful for stepping off onto
          > a beach etc than hauling oneself up out of the water.That is, unless
          > you are the next Charlie Atlas with super strong arms and upper body
          > strength :-D
          > I once had a dicey situation which called for me to board my ex-Micro
          > LESTAT from deep water and it came delicately close to curtains for me
          > had I not gone around to the back of the boat and managed to literally
          > haul myself up and over the transom using the outboard foot and
          > mainsheet traveller I had installed.............
          >
          > Thanks for the pictures and continued sucess!!
          >

          > Sincerely,
          >
          > Peter Lenihan, from along the thawing shores of the mighty
          > St.Lawrence..............

        • dnjost
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 3, 2007
            I second the motion here. The stern is the best way to get back in
            from deeper water. When I solo, I keep a life harness on, and a
            coiled rope fastened to a cleat on the transom to hold on to if the
            need arises. The motor is the best step that can be found usually.
            A strong traveller is a help here as well for stern sheeted boats.
            Had this issue on an old Herreshoff of mine, while it was not a life
            threatening situation (in the harbor), it was embarrassing to say the
            least.

            Plans for Birdwatcher have been unrolled, carefully measured, and
            materials for the mast close by. I am sensing a breakthrough this
            month as the basement is finally clear of old junk.

            David Jost