Similar to Micro

  • sierraclb1728
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 29, 2006
      Hello all,
      I have narrowed down the search for plans for my next boat. Micro
      was high on the list but lost points because of pouring of lead keel
      and drawbacks related to this design feature. There is another well-
      known designer (name escapes me) who came up with 'Musicbox2'
      and 'Musicbox3', based on 'Micro'. My question to anyone with a moment
      to spare and some insight is: can 'Micro's' sailplan be used
      on 'Musicbox'? Any input/suggestions regarding water or steel ballast
      ('Musicbox') versus lead keel would be appreciated. Some top concerns
      of mine are: towing with Toyota Corolla (weight), minimizing cost and
      difficulty of construction (I have a small workshop, not a foundry!)
      Also near the top of the plans list is Stevenson's 'Pocket Cruiser'
      (I think that's the name). Anyone built or cruised one?
      Whew! I know that's a lot, but I hope that different members can
      together address most or all of these. Thanks in advance! Great group!
      Josh
    • Mark Albanese
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 29, 2006
        Hello, Josh:

        Water ballasted Musicbox3 will weigh 4-500 pounds empty, say half the
        weight of Micro. On a two or three hundred pound trailer, that's near
        the max you'll want to pull very far with your Corrolla.

        The water ballast is said not to have the ultimate power of lead. The
        boat as a lot of form stability though. Note the promo writeup
        guesses it is self righting up to 70 degrees heel.
        http://www.duckworksbbs.com/plans/jim/musicbox3/index.htm

        I can't comment on your question about the rig. The balanced lug it
        less tippy that a taller one, though. Designer Jim Michalak will
        answer best.
        mailto:michalak@...

        Mark

        On Dec 29, 2006, at 3:22 PM, sierraclb1728 wrote:

        > Hello all,
        > I have narrowed down the search for plans for my next boat. Micro
        > was high on the list but lost points because of pouring of lead keel
        > and drawbacks related to this design feature. There is another well-
        > known designer (name escapes me) who came up with 'Musicbox2'
        > and 'Musicbox3', based on 'Micro'. My question to anyone with a
        > moment
        > to spare and some insight is: can 'Micro's' sailplan be used
        > on 'Musicbox'? Any input/suggestions regarding water or steel ballast
        > ('Musicbox') versus lead keel would be appreciated. Some top concerns
        > of mine are: towing with Toyota Corolla (weight), minimizing cost and
        > difficulty of construction (I have a small workshop, not a foundry!)
        > Also near the top of the plans list is Stevenson's 'Pocket Cruiser'
        > (I think that's the name). Anyone built or cruised one?
        > Whew! I know that's a lot, but I hope that different members can
        > together address most or all of these. Thanks in advance! Great
        > group!
        > Josh

      • Mark Albanese
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 29, 2006
          Hah! Well I notice the writeup says MB3="800 pounds empty." I don't
          believe a Micro built on thinner scantlings is actually much heavier.
          Anyway, expect the MB3 to have a fine feeling of solidity. The plans
          may show a thick bottom that helps a long way toward stability itself.

          So what's the passenger weight data plate on your car say? Not
          exceeding that is a good plan, even though you can actually tow more
          than can be loaded on the springs. Another way to think about it is
          to take the recommended max tow weight and halve that in order to
          save the transmission. Toyata probably doesn't recommend towing in
          any case, but that hardly mattters. One rule of thumb is to tow half
          the curb weight of the car.

          Mark

          On Dec 29, 2006, at 3:22 PM, sierraclb1728 wrote:

          > Hello all,
          > I have narrowed down the search for plans for my next boat. Micro
          > was high on the list but lost points because of pouring of lead keel
          > and drawbacks related to this design feature. There is another well-
          > known designer (name escapes me) who came up with 'Musicbox2'
          > and 'Musicbox3', based on 'Micro'. My question to anyone with a
          > moment
          > to spare and some insight is: can 'Micro's' sailplan be used
          > on 'Musicbox'? Any input/suggestions regarding water or steel ballast
          > ('Musicbox') versus lead keel would be appreciated. Some top concerns
          > of mine are: towing with Toyota Corolla (weight), minimizing cost and
          > difficulty of construction (I have a small workshop, not a foundry!)
          > Also near the top of the plans list is Stevenson's 'Pocket Cruiser'
          > (I think that's the name). Anyone built or cruised one?
          > Whew! I know that's a lot, but I hope that different members can
          > together address most or all of these. Thanks in advance! Great
          > group!
          > Josh

          > dead horses
          > posts
          > 01930, Fax: (978) 282-1349
          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Kristine Bennett
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 29, 2006
            With the new gearlubes the wear on the transmission is
            nill. The thing you need to keep a sharp eye on is the
            eng. temp. If it starts to get hot down shift and let
            the motor spin up. Lugging that little four banger is
            what will cause overheating, and or pounding the
            bearings out of the motor. All of those small bore
            motors like to spin up and it's also easer on the
            transmission as well.

            Also how far are you towing and what kind of hills are
            you going to be pulling.

            I use to pull a 17 foot fiberglass skiboat with a 74
            VW bus. So it can be done.

            Blessings All
            Krissie

            > So what's the passenger weight data plate on your
            > car say? Not
            > exceeding that is a good plan, even though you can
            > actually tow more
            > than can be loaded on the springs. Another way to
            > think about it is
            > to take the recommended max tow weight and halve
            > that in order to
            > save the transmission. Toyata probably doesn't
            > recommend towing in
            > any case, but that hardly mattters. One rule of
            > thumb is to tow half
            > the curb weight of the car.

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Mark Albanese
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 29, 2006
              Hi Kristine,

              I've got a new Yaris and can say it's got a lot more low end torque
              than found in a lifetime of tiny cars.
              The best sybthetic I've found is the Redline MTL

              Any machine working at about half capacity hardly notices.

              Cheers,
              Mark
              On Dec 29, 2006, at 9:39 PM, Kristine Bennett wrote:

              > With the new gearlubes the wear on the transmission is
              > nill. The thing you need to keep a sharp eye on is the
              > eng. temp. If it starts to get hot down shift and let
              > the motor spin up. Lugging that little four banger is
              > what will cause overheating, and or pounding the
              > bearings out of the motor. All of those small bore
              > motors like to spin up and it's also easer on the
              > transmission as well.
              >
              > Also how far are you towing and what kind of hills are
              > you going to be pulling.
              >
              > I use to pull a 17 foot fiberglass skiboat with a 74
              > VW bus. So it can be done.
              >
              > Blessings All
              > Krissie

            • Peter Lenihan
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 30, 2006
                Josh,

                It has been my happy experience that the best way to choose a
                boat to build is simply to see which one moves you the most.And I'm
                not talking about transportation here but rather the wild stirrings
                of the heart.That's right...amour/love! The boat has to haunt your
                waking hours and inspire vivid night dreams of bright days on sun
                kissed waves as you listen to the water chuckling on past your
                transom.

                Thus smitten, you will be amazed at what you are capable of doing
                in the following departments:
                a)building space
                b)finances
                c)time
                and last but not least
                d)proper construction

                Furthermore,each inevitable "problem" or "obstacle" will instead
                become "fun" challenges for you to overcome,and overcome you will
                because you,my friend,will be in love with or love your chosen boat
                right from the dizzy top of its mast all the way down to her sweet
                shapely hull lines!

                So never mind all this yammering about lead ballast,towing
                weights and rig switching. For those are nothing more then pesky
                technicalities designed to stall you along your path to building
                your own boat.

                You say Micro was high on your list.....but did she really move
                you?
                You say you have no foundry? Neither did I but check this out:

                http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/00/DM1999/articles/micro/index.htm

                You allude to drawbacks relating to the ballast keel on a Micro.
                My .02cents worth thinks these are over-blown non-issues suggested
                by a few to effect the many. After all, we are talking about a wee
                15 foot 6 inch plywood boat, not a globe-trotting ocean vessel
                modeled after some ancient fishing boat :-)

                Many boats may have been "based" on the Micro,which is all well and
                fine but that amounts to saying my Honda Civic is based on a Ford
                Model T. A grain of truth in there somewhere for sure but if it is a
                Model T you desire,do not cheat yourself into the cheap solace of a
                Civic.

                In brief, follow your heart Josh and the rest will follow:-)

                Trust me on this too! I know for certain when I was asked how in
                the name-0-God was I ever going to make the keel for my Micro, that
                I honestly had no clue at that time. Amazingly enough, as I worked
                through the building process/steps, all sorts of good advice and
                help materialized. Unless you are e-mailing us from another planet,
                I am confident the same happy luck will happen to you!

                Let us know when you are "moved" :-)

                Sincerely,

                Peter Lenihan, an apartment dwelling hospital worker who never even
                took "shop" in high school yet has continued to surprise himself
                with boatbuilding projects,from along the shores of the nippy
                St.Lawrence.........

                --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "sierraclb1728" <josh1728@...> wrote:

                > Hello all,
                > I have narrowed down the search for plans for my next boat.
                Micro
                > was high on the list but lost points because of pouring of lead
                keel
                > and drawbacks related to this design feature. There is another
                well-
                > known designer (name escapes me) who came up with 'Musicbox2'
                > and 'Musicbox3', based on 'Micro'. My question to anyone with a
                moment
                > to spare and some insight is: can 'Micro's' sailplan be used
                > on 'Musicbox'? Any input/suggestions regarding water or steel
                ballast
                > ('Musicbox') versus lead keel would be appreciated. Some top
                concerns
                > of mine are: towing with Toyota Corolla (weight), minimizing cost
                and
                > difficulty of construction (I have a small workshop, not a
                foundry!)
                > Also near the top of the plans list is Stevenson's 'Pocket
                Cruiser'
                > (I think that's the name). Anyone built or cruised one?
                > Whew! I know that's a lot, but I hope that different members
                can
                > together address most or all of these. Thanks in advance! Great
                group!
                > Josh

              • John and Kathy Trussell
                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 30, 2006
                  Yes and no. Hauling a heavy trailer up a long hill causes the transmission to get hot. Synthetic gear lubes do a lot better at not breaking down under high temperatures than conventional petro based lubes, but they are not totally immune. If possible, the addition of a transmission cooler is a good investment, particularly in hilly country.

                  A knock on the use of smaller tow cars is that they frequently lack the necessary oomph to snatch a boat out of the water and up a steep ramp. PCB tows with a Mazda 3 and his approach was to attach a winch to the front bumper, run the winch cable and trailer down to the boat, load the boat and winch everything up to level ground. This certinly saves wear and tear on the car, though it might not be well received at a crowded ramp.

                  JohnT
                  With the new gearlubes the wear on the transmission is
                  nill. The thing you need to keep a sharp eye on is the
                  eng. temp. If it starts to get hot down shift and let
                  the motor spin up. Lugging that little four banger is
                  what will cause overheating, and or pounding the
                  bearings out of the motor. All of those small bore
                  motors like to spin up and it's also easer on the
                  transmission as well.

                  Also how far are you towing and what kind of hills are
                  you going to be pulling.

                  I use to pull a 17 foot fiberglass skiboat with a 74
                  VW bus. So it can be done.

                  Blessings All
                  Krissie

                  > So what's the passenger weight data plate on your
                  > car say? Not
                  > exceeding that is a good plan, even though you can
                  > actually tow more
                  > than can be loaded on the springs. Another way to
                  > think about it is
                  > to take the recommended max tow weight and halve
                  > that in order to
                  > save the transmission. Toyata probably doesn't
                  > recommend towing in
                  > any case, but that hardly mattters. One rule of
                  > thumb is to tow half
                  > the curb weight of the car.

                  http://mail.yahoo.com

                • Kristine Bennett
                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 30, 2006
                    Peter nicely put my friend that is also true of
                    homebuilt aircraft as well! I have been smittened with
                    the Fiddler II and will be sending a letter off to PCB
                    to get his feedback on adding a box keel to her. The
                    GF likes the small compactness of it.

                    Also the drawings for an aircraft call the Tinwind and
                    it has taken a strong hold on the heart strings as
                    well.... So it comes down to what one to build first!

                    Right as this point the Fiddle is in the lead.

                    Blessings Krissie

                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                  • Harry James
                    Message 9 of 12 , Dec 30, 2006
                      Krissie

                      Check out Light Miniature Aircraft and the KR2S for neat wooden airframes.

                      Neither are similar to the Micro.

                      HJ

                    • John Kohnen
                      Message 10 of 12 , Dec 31, 2006
                        Congratulations Mark! A new Car! :o) A BIG car too, compared to the last
                        one anyway. <g> Does the Yaris have variable valve timing? I got myself a
                        new Tacoma a couple of months ago and the engine seems to have a flatter
                        torque curve than my old one, for which I credit the variable valve
                        timing. Nice. It doesn't seem any faster or more powerful though, since
                        they piled on an extra 500 lbs. in the new model...

                        --
                        John <jkohnen@...>
                        Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow. <Mark
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jan 1, 2007
                          Thanks, John. I'm sure it looked to people that the boat just dwarfed
                          the car. And was newer.
                          The Yaris does have VVT. That's what must let the 1.5 liter, 2300
                          pound jewel get 40 mpg.
                          Mark

                          Message 12 of 12 , Jan 2, 2007
                            > You allude to drawbacks relating to the ballast keel on a Micro.

                            I ditto what Peter wrote.

                            In hindsight, I too dreaded pouring lead. But after actually pouring
                            a Micro keel, I realized it was pretty easy, quick and relatively safe
                            too. I have no regrets.

                            Power saws, now they are dangerous.