Re: [bolger] Sprit Boom reefing and lacing

  • John and Kathy Trussell
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 28, 2006
      Dennis,

      Ain't nothin perfect. The problem is that the snotter has to be attached to the mast. This attachment works fine if your sail is on a track (as it is on a Dovekie and as drawn on Old Shoe). The snoter is attached to the front of the mast; the sailgoes up and down on the track, and everything works pretty well. Lacing , whether you lace to and fro (recommended) or round and round has part of the lacing in front of the mast. The snotter attachment point fouls the lacing if you lower the sail.

      One way around this is to incorporate vertical reefing. This usually involves a vertical batten and some sort of jiffy reefing system. If you can get your hands on Chappelle's books Boatbuilding or American Small Sailing Craft, there are illustrations showing this approach.

      JohnT
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 28, 2006
        >Was wondering if anyone can give me advice on how to reef a sprit boom
        >sail. I want to lace my main and mizzen to the mast and am not seeing
        >how I can reef if the main is close up to the mast. the whole taper
        >thing works against it. So, how is it done? I have read where the
        >main is permenantly laced to the mast and furling is done from the
        >clue, rollng forward. Where do I find information on how to sail the
        >cat yawl rig and how to rig, snotter, etc.?
        >
        >Thank you and wishing all a happy new year. My Old Shoe project is
        >still moving along, but very slowly due to the winter blues.
        >
        >Regards,
        >
        >Dennis

        Jim Michalak has talked about this in his "Essays" -- the archives should
        be on Duckworks. (Google duckworks michalak).
        --
        Craig O'Donnell
        Sinepuxent Ancestors & Boats
      • Jamie Orr
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 28, 2006
          Hi Dennis,

          It's an awkward job however you do it.

          If your sail is laced semi-permanently to the mast i.e you furl it
          on the mast rather than lowering it, then the reefing lines must
          move the sail forward, with the line of reef "points" being parallel
          to the luff and mast. This will bunch up the a portion of the sail
          immediately behind the mast which won't help your performance, but
          since you already have more wind than you can use, it may not be a
          big deal. Chappelle's "American Small Sailing Craft" has a drawing
          of a sharpie on page 106 that shows vertical reefing, although not
          in great detail.

          If your sail goes up and down then you can reef more or less
          normally, except that you will have to move the outboard end of the
          sprit boom to a cringle or grommet higher up the leech, in line with
          the reef points, which will become the new "foot" of the sail.

          I have created a folder called Elegant Punt in the *photos* section
          of this group with a picture of our elegant punt with its sprit-boom
          sail reefed. This sail does not go up and down with a halyard, so I
          did my reefing at the dock, by removing the mast, loosening the
          lacing, tying in the reef, (there is a line of grommets across the
          sail and I used short pieces of small line to tie the reef) moving
          the sprit-boom to a higher cringle, tightening the lacing with the
          sail lowered so the new foot is at the level of the old foot then
          putting the mast back in the boat. This was a viable solution for
          us as it let us go sailing in strong winds by reefing before we
          went. It would be extremely difficult to do on the water, to say
          the least.

          You referred to rolling up the sail from the clew -- you may be
          confusing reefing with brailing, which gathers up the sail from the
          leech forward. It tames the sail, but you can't sail properly while
          brailed.

          For Christmas I received a copy of David Nichols "The Working Guide
          to Small-Boat Sails" He doesn't go into reefing as much as he
          could, but it covers a number of traditional sail types and might be
          a good general guide. It's a good read in any case, and it's for
          sale through http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/

          Sorry for the long post, probably someone else has answered your
          question by now!

          Jamie

          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "lancasterdennis" <dlancast@...>
          wrote:

          > Was wondering if anyone can give me advice on how to reef a sprit
          boom
          > sail. I want to lace my main and mizzen to the mast and am not
          seeing
          > how I can reef if the main is close up to the mast. the whole
          taper
          > thing works against it. So, how is it done? I have read where
          the
          > main is permenantly laced to the mast and furling is done from the
          > clue, rollng forward. Where do I find information on how to sail
          the
          > cat yawl rig and how to rig, snotter, etc.?
          >
          > Thank you and wishing all a happy new year. My Old Shoe project
          is
          > still moving along, but very slowly due to the winter blues.
          >
          > Regards,
          >
          > Dennis

        • craig o'donnell
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 29, 2006
            There are a couple variations. On the Oldshoe, you move the sprit boom up
            some and tie the foot of the sail in a bundle.

            On Chesapeake workboats, they would often just use a smaller sail and mast
            (ie, moving the "mizzen" into the "mainmast" step).

            Conor O'Brien uses a different approach by moving the sprit up the mast
            permanently -- scroll down:
            http://www.friend.ly.net/~dadadata/boat/cob/COB_sea-boat.html

            Commodore Ralph Munroe use a sprit-boom system that it seems he and Cap Nat
            Herreshoff liked. There was a crotch bearing on the mast, and the snotter
            tackle was at the end of the boom pulling on the clew. I'm not sure I can
            reference a drawing and I've come across no description of the system in
            use, though I'm sure it must have been fairly simple to reef: the Commodore
            didn't mess around with extra lines and stuff that was hard to work.

            Finally, I "invented" a system based on a sprit-boom with club, that I've
            never tested. It results in a sail that is a little different shaped than a
            typical leg of mutton. Someday ... (I'll see if I can find a drawing to
            post).

            Vertical reefing is fine if you plan to run downwind or on a broad reach in
            bad weather. Workboats that used it would never try to beat to windward in
            bad weather anyway. If that's your plan, a motor makes more sense.
            --
            Craig O'Donnell
            Sinepuxent Ancestors & Boats
            Plywood Boats, Bamboo Rafts, &c.
          • Phillip Lea
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 29, 2006
              I reef my Junebug exactly as Jamie does his Elegant Punt. It is as
              he states: impossible to perform underway. But in small boats such
              as these when you are out for a couple of hours at most between
              landfalls, you can step ashore, reef, or shake one out as needed.

              Lacing the main was too time consuming to make adjustments, so by
              the third season, I replaced the continuous lacing line with
              individual ties at each luff grommet. Couldn't tell any difference
              in performance (did not expect any) but adjustments and tying on
              after long transport was very easy.

              Also note that in seven seasons of sailing on inland lakes and a few
              ocean bays, on more than a hundred different occassions, I have
              sailed reefed only 4 times. In the Junebug when the wind is over 15
              mph, too much water comes aboard to be safe. I figure Jamie has
              found the same.

              Phil Lea
              Russellville, Arkansas

            • bob@toadmail.com
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 29, 2006
                One alternative to reefing the sprit boomed sail is to simply feather
                it, ie. flatten the sail by hardening up on the snotter and decrease
                the angle of the sail to the wind (ie. luffing). This decreases the
                sails power an may allow you to carry on. When this no longer serves,
                it may be time to lower the rig and row. As Craig mentioned, here on
                the Chesapeake where the rig was favored, boats had several rigs in
                different sizes for the prevailing conditions at different times of the
                year, along with multiple mast steps. The summer rig would generally
                be a large main and smaller mizzen, in winter the mizzen alone might be
                used in a center mast step. When overwhelmed the whole rig might have
                been tossed overboard and used as a sea anchor.

                Bob
              • graeme19121984
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 29, 2006
                  --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Jamie Orr" <jas_orr@...> wrote:
                  Chappelle's "American Small Sailing Craft" has a drawing
                  > of a sharpie on page 106 that shows vertical reefing, although not
                  > in great detail.

                  Hey, I was just reading that for the first time the other day, and
                  experienced the pleasant realisation of how the much maligned
                  vertical reefing of the jib headed sprit boom sail may actually work
                  with ease. I recall a year or so ago that issues to do with the
                  reefing brail line binding and preventing the reef from shaking out
                  were raised here concerning the Birdwatcher 1A original sail plan.
                  Jim Michalak has also written of the problem concerning this rig on
                  boats he has later designed as well as his experience with the
                  original Birdwatcher.

                  The trouble is that the single reefing line as shown for Birdwatcher
                  1A (BWAOM p235) is necessarily quite lengthy and has many (8)
                  turning points where it may bind as it zigs and zags up the sail
                  between the luff and reefing band cringles. Suggestions have beeen
                  made including that the line be double ended, regularly waxed, and
                  thin to minimise binding and lengthy overhauling.

                  I'm not sure what PCB, or others following, who certainly have read
                  Chappelle were thinking.

                  On page 107 of "American Small Sailing Craft" at the bottom, facing
                  Figure 38 on page 106 (the redrawing of "B"'s 1879 "Forest and
                  Stream" One Man 1870's Tonging Sharpie) Chappelle explains how the
                  brail is rove: "The reef band was parallel to the hoist. In early
                  boats the reef was made by a SERIES OF BRAILS leading through
                  thimbles on the luff-rope and SPLICED INTO A SINGLE FALL, which
                  permitted reefing without lowering the sails." (My capitals. He goes
                  on to say that later boats had two reef bands that were tied in
                  manually as the sail was again raised after first being lowered. In
                  the sails drawn on page 106 having just one verticle reefing band
                  these later reefing points for manually tying in the reef are also
                  shown along with what he says is the earlier system of seried brails
                  spliced to a single fall. The one drawing is possibly used to
                  economically illustrate both reefing techniques from seperate
                  periods.) Using a magnifying glass (and hasn't every Bolgerado got
                  one?) there's a note on Chappelle's drawing that can also be made
                  out: "The number of brails used on a single sail varied from 2 to 5.
                  Brails were not commonly employed in the 1890's when two reef bands
                  in each sail became practice."

                  Now, Chappelle calls it a series of brails, but I think calling it a
                  number of parallel brails is a more apt description, also the
                  binding friction forces on the fall are individual and seperately
                  distributed in parallel. The problem with the Birdwatcher 1A sail
                  reefing is exactly that the brails are all in series, and the
                  binding forces are cumulative. Handily, the overhauling of the
                  reefing brail line fall would reduce in the Birdwatcher 1A sail from
                  around 20ft to only 2ft if the 1870's technique were used. Wonderful
                  stuff!

                  Was PCB just doodling? Thinking it looked easier to rove (love that
                  word) without the splices. Siezing would do anyway. The difference
                  is akin to that between shoe laces and velcro!

                  Graeme
                  PS. For Birdwatcher 1A, PCB shows single luff ties, but his system
                  of seperately paired figure 8 luff ties will let the sail slide down
                  the mast easier, and is better than the spiral lacing shown by
                  Chappelle in Fig 38.
                • craig o'donnell
                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 30, 2006
                    >--- In <mailto:bolger%40yahoogroups.com>bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Jamie
                    >Orr" <jas_orr@...> wrote:
                    >Chappelle's "American Small Sailing Craft" has a drawing
                    >> of a sharpie on page 106 that shows vertical reefing, although not
                    >> in great detail.
                    >
                    >Hey, I was just reading that for the first time the other day, and
                    >experienced the pleasant realisation of how the much maligned
                    >vertical reefing of the jib headed sprit boom sail may actually work
                    >with ease. I recall a year or so ago that issues to do with the
                    >

                    >I'm not sure what PCB, or others following, who certainly have read
                    >Chappelle were thinking.
                    >
                    >On page 107 of "American Small Sailing Craft" at the bottom, facing
                    >Figure 38 on page 106 (the redrawing of "B"'s 1879 "Forest and
                    >Stream" One Man 1870's Tonging Sharpie) Chappelle explains how the
                    >brail is rove: "The reef band was parallel to the hoist. In early
                    >boats the reef was made by a SERIES OF BRAILS leading through
                    >thimbles on the luff-rope and SPLICED INTO A SINGLE FALL, which
                    >permitted reefing without lowering the sails." (My capitals. He goes
                    >on to say that later boats had two reef bands that were tied in
                    >manually as the sail was again raised after first being lowered. In
                    >the sails drawn on page 106 having just one verticle reefing band
                    >these later reefing points for manually tying in the reef are also
                    >shown along with what he says is the earlier system of seried brails
                    >spliced to a single fall. The one drawing is possibly used to
                    >economically illustrate both reefing techniques from seperate
                    >periods.) Using a magnifying glass (and hasn't every Bolgerado got
                    >one?) there's a note on Chappelle's drawing that can also be made
                    >out: "The number of brails used on a single sail varied from 2 to 5.
                    >Brails were not commonly employed in the 1890's when two reef bands
                    >in each sail became practice."
                    >
                    >Now, Chappelle calls it a series of brails, but I think calling it a
                    >number of parallel brails is a more apt description, also the
                    >binding friction forces on the fall are individual and seperately
                    >distributed in parallel. The problem with the Birdwatcher 1A sail
                    >reefing is exactly that the brails are all in series, and the
                    >binding forces are cumulative. Handily, the overhauling of the
                    >reefing brail line fall would reduce in the Birdwatcher 1A sail from
                    >around 20ft to only 2ft if the 1870's technique were used. Wonderful
                    >stuff!
                    >
                    >Was PCB just doodling? Thinking it looked easier to rove (love that
                    >word) without the splices. Siezing would do anyway. The difference
                    >is akin to that between shoe laces and velcro!
                    >
                    >Graeme
                    >PS. For Birdwatcher 1A, PCB shows single luff ties, but his system
                    >of seperately paired figure 8 luff ties will let the sail slide down
                    >the mast easier, and is better than the spiral lacing shown by
                    >Chappelle in Fig 38.

                    Hey. Good catch. I've seen some full-size Chappelle originals. What
                    wonderful drawing. ASSC doesn't do them justice.

                    See http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/04/s/articles/chapelle/index.cfm for a
                    vertical batten brail.
                    --
                    Craig O'Donnell
                    Sinepuxent Ancestors & Boats
                    Plywood Boats, Bamboo Rafts, &c.
                  • Lewis E. Gordon
                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 30, 2006
                      Remember that most of these drawings are available from the
                      Smithsonian. Order the catalog of plans (ad is usually in the
                      classifieds of WB) and then order the chosen plans. I found that it is
                      best to not order too many at once as the clerk apparently gets
                      hurried and moves the original before the copy is completed. The
                      catalog is basicly indexed by publication name and plate number.

                      Lewis

                      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, craig o'donnell <dadadata@...> wrote:

> [...]
                      > >PS. For Birdwatcher 1A, PCB shows single luff ties, but his system
                      > >of seperately paired figure 8 luff ties will let the sail slide down
                      > >the mast easier, and is better than the spiral lacing shown by
                      > >Chappelle in Fig 38.
                      >
                      > Hey. Good catch. I've seen some full-size Chappelle originals. What
                      > wonderful drawing. ASSC doesn't do them justice.
                      >
                      > See
                      http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/04/s/articles/chapelle/index.cfm for a
                      > vertical batten brail.
                      > --
                      > Craig O'Donnell
                      > Sinepuxent Ancestors & Boats
                      > <http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~fassitt/>
                      > The Proa FAQ <http://boat-links.com/proafaq.html>
                      > The Cheap Pages <http://www.friend.ly.net/~dadadata/>
                      > Sailing Canoes, Polytarp Sails, Bamboo, Chinese Junks,
                      > American Proas, the Bolger Boat Honor Roll,

                    • captreed48
                      Message 10 of 13 , Dec 31, 2006
                        Another alternative is to have the snotter be a line from the mast step
                        to the head of the mast with a small loop in it to catch the forward
                        end of the boom. This allows the laced sail to be lowered without the
                        lacing fouling the snotter attachment. With a block and a cam cleat at
                        the lower end the tension on the snotter can be adjusted easily.

                        Reed
                      • graeme19121984
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jan 1, 2007
                          Noted. Thanks Lewis.