Re: [bolger] Single Handed Schooner Keel

  • Gene T
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 22, 2006
      I vote for heavy and unweildy. In fitting my daggerboard (keel) on my SHS I first used a small multiple block and tackle but now have a chain hoist on it hanging from my basement cieling. I had to shape the hole in the bottom to make it fit. I plan to have a stub boom going forward on the main mast that I can hook a block and tackle onto to lift the keel. Then the suggested fids to hold the keel up. It is amazing how easy it is for the thing to get away from you when you move it around. Progress is slow and I still need to attach a tiller, finish shaping the glued up masts and put the ends on the booms and gaffs. The booms and gaffs are made of 8 pieces of 1/4 inch douglas fir. I got a new thinner saw blade so I won't waste as much wood next time.

      Sincerely,
      Gene T.
      "A house ashore is but a boat, so poorly
      built it will not float ---- "