Re: [bolger] Single Handed Schooner Keel
- I vote for heavy and unweildy. In fitting my daggerboard (keel) on my SHS I first used a small multiple block and tackle but now have a chain hoist on it hanging from my basement cieling. I had to shape the hole in the bottom to make it fit. I plan to have a stub boom going forward on the main mast that I can hook a block and tackle onto to lift the keel. Then the suggested fids to hold the keel up. It is amazing how easy it is for the thing to get away from you when you move it around. Progress is slow and I still need to attach a tiller, finish shaping the glued up masts and put the ends on the booms and gaffs. The booms and gaffs are made of 8 pieces of 1/4 inch douglas fir. I got a new thinner saw blade so I won't waste as much wood next time.
"A house ashore is but a boat, so poorly
built it will not float ---- "
----- Original Message ----
From: Bruce Hallman <bruce@...>
Sent: Friday, December 22, 2006 7:15:30 PM
Subject: Re: [bolger] Re: Lapstrake, Single Handed Schooner
> The ballasted daggerboard is about the same thing as a lifting keel. It is heavy, unweildy, not located in an ergonomically favorable location.I see that the daggerboard is located right in the middle of the
center deck, and I imagine you could stand right above it an use your
leg muscles when lifting it, no? I suspect that PCB located that
deck & board like that for good ergonomics. (Of course, I am only
guessing, not having ever seen or sailed a SHS.) Better ergonomics
than Centenial II, for instance.
- NO "GO AWAY SPAMMER!" posts!!! Please!
- no cursing, flaming, trolling, spamming, respamming, or flogging dead horses
- stay on topic, stay on thread, punctuate, no 'Ed, thanks, Fred' posts
- Pls add your comments at the TOP, SIGN your posts, and snip away
- Plans: Mr. Philip C. Bolger, P.O. Box 1209, Gloucester, MA, 01930, Fax: (978) 282-1349
- Unsubscribe: email@example.com
- Open discussion: firstname.lastname@example.org
Yahoo! Groups Links
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]