Supermouse

    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 22, 2006
      Anybody ever hear of a Supermouse having been built?

      It looks like a exceedingly compact, pretty and capable micro-cruiser.

      http://hallman.org/bolger/supermouse/SuperMouse.png
    • John and Kathy Trussell
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 23, 2006
        I ordered and studied the plans. Some general observations. You can squeeze a quart into a pint bottle, but it ends up costing as much as a quart bottle. The materials list is a little startling. I think Supermouse is well suited to casual day sailing in sheltered waters. Her shallow keel and high, gaff rigged sail are probably not optimal for upwind performance. Her major charm is the possibility of outfitting her in Edwardian style with a nice finish, tufted cushions, and a suitable picnic hamper.

        Jim Michalak has designed several prams with Birdwatcher cabins. Several of these have been built and used successfully. They are the functional equivalent of Supermouse, but of much less complex (and less elegant) construction.

        JohnT
        Anybody ever hear of a Supermouse having been built?

        It looks like a exceedingly compact, pretty and capable micro-cruiser.

        http://hallman.org/bolger/supermouse/SuperMouse.png

      • Gene
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 17, 2012
          Hi All,

          Can anyone tell me how many boats were built to the Supermouse plans and are the plans still available. thanks much.

          Gene
        • John Trussell
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 18, 2012

            I bought a set of plans. Supermouse is a good example of fitting a quart into a pint bottle—ingenious and fun to think about, but about as expensive and time consuming to build as a quart bottle. I am not aware that any of them have been built. I am also not aware of any builds from the plans of Field Mouse and these days, a Puddle Duck Racer is a more likely choice… For that matter, a Birdwatcher cabin on top of an Old Shoe would be the equivalent of a Supermouse at a lower cost and less effort.

            JohnT

            Can anyone tell me how many boats were built to the Supermouse plans and are the plans still available. thanks much.

            Gene

            No virus found in this message.

          • Gene Berry
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 18, 2012
              Hi John,
               thanks for the reply and info. it is somewhat disheartening though, i have always liked the birdwatcher cabin concept, so much so i built a PD Goose with a birdwatcher cabin. (a Goose is a 12' PDR if not familiar with it) my attraction to the Supermouse was the ballast in the shoal keel and the similar looks to the Welsford SCAMP. i am not a patient man when it comes to building boats though so i may have to rethink this. thanks again.

              Gene

              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 18, 2012

                As is stated in Chapter 9, pp.35-40 in Bolger's BOATS WITH AN OPEN MIND  "SuperMouse" has indeed been built, well before the book's 1994 publishing.
                Any lapstrake-hull depends on the relative routines of the prospective builder.  The are several books on this method.

                15'6" MICRO NAVIGATOR might also be an option that still fits inside a garage for construction and storage on a trailer.

                Susanne Altenburger, PB&F

              • daschultz8275@sbcglobal.net
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 18, 2012
                  > Can anyone tell me how many boats were built to the Supermouse plans and are
                  > the plans still available. thanks much.
                  >
                  > Gene

                  Really nobody has hard stats regarding this for any design. PBF may have stats on the number of plans sold, but I would be surprised. In addition to not knowing how many people completed a boat from their plans, you also have the issue of plans being misused by building a 2nd boat, and then boats that are so heavily modified, they should not longer be considered the boat in th plans.

                  Don.
                • John Trussell
                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 19, 2012

                    Gene,

                    I recommend John Brooks book Building Glued Plywood Lapstrake Boats , and. if possible, attending John’s course at the WoodenBoat School. I have done both and glued plywood lapstrake is now my preferred boat building method. No boatbuilding method is quick or particularly easy (if nothing else, at some point you have to paint it—inside and outside!). If you have no experience, I suggest you start with something which has a minimum number of pieces (the length of time necessary to build a hull varies directly with the number of pieces) and which can be finished fairly quickly…

                    JohnT

                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 19, 2012
                      This makes me wonder how an Oldshoe would do with the hollow flooding keel, a sail plan and removable topper similar to what Supermouse has? The keel assembly made from pressure treated lumber and plywood - no lead - nothing fancy. It would probably recover from a 90 degree knock-down before the keel drained and the topper could store all th camping stuff when trailering. You could maybe even sleep in it overnight when camping and have more privacy when using the porta-pottie.

                      Nels

                      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Gene Berry <meangenerok@...> wrote:

                      > Hi John,
                      >  thanks for the reply and info. it is somewhat disheartening though, i have always liked the birdwatcher cabin concept, so much so i built a PD Goose with a birdwatcher cabin. (a Goose is a 12' PDR if not familiar with it) my attraction to the Supermouse was the ballast in the shoal keel and the similar looks to the Welsford SCAMP. i am not a patient man when it comes to building boats though so i may have to rethink this. thanks again.
                      >
                      > Gene

                    • John Trussell
                      Message 10 of 10 , Sep 19, 2012

                        Nels,

                         I am somewhat hesitant to make major changes to existing designs. The designer almost certainly knows more about design than I do and the chances are, the design feature I might want to change was designed that way for a reason. I will make cosmetic changes (such as a strip of molding at the bottom of the sheer strake) or move cleats around to suit my size or preference, but I don’t change hull shape or ballast..

                        Water is not as dense as lead (or steel or concrete with iron punchings), so you need somewhat more volume of water than lead to achieve the same ballast effect. I don’t think that allowing a hollow keel to flood would have the same effect as the lead ballast PCB specified.

                        Melting metal is a scary process, but with a healthy fear and reasonable precautions, is doable. Alternatively, lead shot in epoxy doesn’t involve melting metal and is easier to work with.

                        John