Lapstrake, Single Handed Schooner

    Message 1 of 38 , Dec 21, 2006
      With all my new fiberglass cloth <smile>

      Personally, I appreciate the hard chined Bolger boats, and I know many
      others here do too...

      But I, even more, am growing to love the curvy hull. Anyway, I was
      dreaming of taking the Single Handed Schooner shape, rig and detailing
      and convert it to a lapstrake (six strakes) hull. For no other reason
      than voluptuousness of curve. ;)

      The ply strake/frame detailing would be similar to Spur II, from 1/4"
      (except the keel strake and garboard perhaps from 1/2") and the rig
      essentially unchanged from SHS. Using 1/4" instead of 1/2" should
      make the hull lighter to drag around at launch time.

      Here are lines and isometrics,

      http://hallman.org/boats/PrettySchooner/PrettySchooner.png

      And the strakes lie nicely upon a 48 inch wide sheet of plywood.

      http://hallman.org/boats/PrettySchooner/PrettySchoonerStrakes.png

      And here is the FBM file

      http://hallman.org/boats/PrettySchooner/PrettySchooner.fbm
    • Harry James
      Message 38 of 38 , Aug 5, 2010
        Sue are you still out there?

        I was going through back emails and came across this one , part of a conversation that Bruce started with as lapstrake version of the single handed schooner. I had blown right by the Watertribe part.

        So how serious a contender could a Singlehanded Schooner be? You could sleep one crew at a time, you could row effectively. You could hang serious amounts of sail out off the wind in light airs. The one shortcoming would be going to windward in light going, might be able to compensate with rowing. You could maybe lighten up the scantlings with the lapstrake construction.

        There are vets of the Florida Everglades challenge on the list,maybe they could comment.

        HJ

        Could you rig a seat in the back and row?

        You can, and that's job #1 on my list for spring commissioning in a
        couple of months.  I'm hoping to enter her in the Watertribe one of
        these years.  There's just enough room to set up a sliding rowing
        seat, and you can brace your feet against bulkhead "D".  The one
        problem (other than general heaviness) is that the mainmast and
        mainmast partner prevent you from leaning back enough for good rowing
        form over a long distance -- I plan to use rowing strictly as
        auxiliary propulsion, for getting back in to the mooring area when the
        wind has died completely.

        One of these years, I may try an experiment with a yuloh....