What I remember from my Lions Paw visit

  • goadarama
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 9, 2006
      Yeah, it's only a hours drive up there for us and I beat MYSELF up
      for no camera. I may be going back in a week or so and will shoot
      pix if so.

      Allan said he ought to drill a hole in the floor becaue now that the
      wood deck is rotting away water is sitting about 4" deep inside. His
      original Black Skimmer is in his yard too. He called it "real handy"
      but it's gone to pot also. Allan apparently worked hard all his life
      and did very well in the concrete biz. he's wealthy and retired now
      and my friend Bob, who knows Allan and arranged the visit, says he
      keeps both boats for sentimental reasons.

      The plate edges stick out as bit on the edges, maybe 3/4", but the
      bottom plate sticks out a good 6" on the stern, which Allan likes.
      Standing on top the huge flush deck surfaces are impressive and the
      cockpit area sprawling and volumous. He built all the top exactly as
      detailed on the plans.

      Inside t6he headroom seems to be about 5'6 or so in the main salon
      and maybe 5-9 or so in the galley area by the companionway. I was
      struck by all the wasted space under the rear deck area: a great
      place for a big queen bed if the gian China diesle came out. Also
      th4e waterline could easily mean the stern could be cut out like the
      later AS models and a outboard put on. I told Allan this and he said
      it would ahve to be some kinda big outboard.

      The rocker is even more impressive in person and looks severe but I
      came away thinking what a salty looking bluewater boat it looked to
      be. His leeboards are still intact but the wood has rotted off the
      metal cores.

      Ok.... maybe I can get some pix. Sure wish someone would build one.
      Maybe I'll have to. Allan said it was easier to weld up than the
      Bolger text alluded to. Best wishes from NW Florida. BGoad,,
      S/V "Plan A"