Re: [bolger] Re: My recent 38 Lions Paw visit/viewing

  • Kristine Bennett
    Message 1 of 35 , Dec 8, 2006
      Ahhhh I think 3/8 would be a LOT heavy! With a boat
      about 30 feet 1/8 would be fine for mild steel or 3/16
      if you are worried about it.

      The older LCM 6 were only 1/8 and they were 56 feet
      long and 14 feet wide. They would carry 20 or 25 tons
      as I remember.

      Blessings Krissie

      --- donschultz8275 <donschultz@...> wrote:

      > I would guess the Lions Paw could serve as a guide
      > to how a steel AS-
      > 29 could/should be built re steel gauge/thickness.
      >
      > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "goadarama"
      > <goadarama@...> wrote:

      Want to start your own business?
      Learn how on Yahoo! Small Business.
      http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/r-index
    • pvanderwaart
      Message 35 of 35 , Dec 16, 2006
        > We're going
        > back to a sharpie though because 4.5 foot draft is not for us.

        The master of sharpiedom has designed various other boats that would
        be easier to live on than Lion's Paw which, among other things, lacks
        standing headroom. You could, for example, take a look at Alert,
        presently for sale, as far as I know. Not expensive and ready to go.
        Also originally low inside; I don't know how much headroom there is in
        present form.

        The ultimate liveaboard would be the 35' scow schooner. It has
        sharpie-type draft and plenty of room. With a litte patience, you
        might be able to buy an AS-29. And there is the 39' plywood
        centerboard yawl.

        Peter