Re:Steel ASharpies/Lions Paw update/Weston Martyr

  • ANDREW AIREY
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 3, 2006
      I wrote to PCB some time ago about Weston Martyr and
      never received a reply either,which was a pity because
      it fitted my requirements for universality.The thing
      to remember about WM was that the constraining
      dimension was the 6'10" width of the locks on the
      British narrow canals so that a 8ft width would be
      rather pointless for it's intended purpose.A steel
      AS39 would be quite nice though,the thing to remember
      about canal use being that there are a lot more things
      to bash about in canals and locks than a sailing boat
      might normally be expected to encounter.Some narrow
      boats were sailed,although perhaps not as a matter of
      course.For example,the Chesterfield canal
      'cuckoos'were occasionally sailed on the
      Trent,although in the last couple of decades of
      operation it was probably more common practise for
      them to drift with the incoming tide,or to pick up a
      tow when working upstream towards Newark
      cheers
      Andy Airey

    • Kristine Bennett
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 3, 2006
        I've helped outfit both steel and fiberglass boats...

        With steel you need to plan ahead and KNOW where you
        want things put so all the tabs and mounting plates
        are in the right place. Then make sure there are no
        changes and prime and paint every thing and then spray
        in the foam or glue in the foam or maybe both. Then
        comes the wood.

        The outfitting just takes a bit more time is all and a
        lot more planing!

        Building the hull out of steel is not that hard with
        the right tools. It just takes more time to do all the
        welding. But with the new epoxy paints the boat should
        be around for a long time to come!

        Blessings Krissie

        > On 12/1/06, Waldo F. Odonahue wrote:
        >
        > > Is there a difference between finshing a wood
        > versus steel hull?
        >
        > Perhaps it is only my imagination, but I know how to
        > deal with wood,
        > and not with steel.
        >
        > I know how to drive a nail into wood, but not steel.
        > Also, I know how
        > to shape wood with a chisel, or with my belt sander.
        > I know now to
        > glue wood to wood, but am not sure about wood to
        > steel.

        Want to start your own business?
        Learn how on Yahoo! Small Business.
        http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/r-index
      • Kristine Bennett
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 3, 2006
          I know a number of hobbiest woodworkers here on the
          island and they are more then happy to do the milling
          I need done. The last time it cost me two sets of
          planer blades and two new saw blades. And he still
          thinks he owes me for the all the blades.....

          All the milling we did would have cost me about 2
          grand to have a commercal shop do it. Hey it was also
          a nice way to spend a weekend with a friend!

          The funny thing is every thing we milled fit!

          Blessings all Krissie

          > One can also get these units custom fabricated to
          > your design (in whatever wood you wish) at the same
          > costs of units found in lumber yards. You have to
          > find the hobbiest cabinet maker in your neighborhood
          > to do the work - not a commerical shop. The hobbiest
          > likely has $20,000 in equipment sitting in the
          > garage - be happy to make stuff for you with your
          > money - rather than making yet another piece that
          > gets stored .... until someday.
          > The above is what I advise people who take my
          > housebuilding workshops.

          http://new.mail.yahoo.com
        • ANDREW AIREY
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 4, 2006
            ps Chesterfield canal 'cuckoos' were 72ft long which
            makes WM look relatively fat.Unfortunately the last
            original one fell apart under the tender care of the
            British Waterways museum so the Canal Trust is on with
            constructing a replica
            Cheers
            Andy Airey