Re: water ballast vs lead, iron, etc

  • Guy Vandegrift
    Message 1 of 25 , Dec 2, 2006
      My boat stability project has reached the point where it must go
      dormant till I get collaborators. The price a professor pays for doing
      "trivial" research is that it must focus on education. Anybody who can
      contribute is welcome to apply.

      I need someone who either did well in high school physics, geometry,
      and algebra, or who has strengthened these skills in college. Most
      college graduates have poor writing skills, but anybody who can
      write can be prinicpal author on a paper to AJP (American Journal of
      Physics). A high school student with a parent who can write, along
      with somebody who knows boats and can run hull stability software,
      would make an awesome team! Though most papers in AJP have one author,
      I think they will like the diversity and perhaps even physical
      remoteness of those who solve this problem.

      Guy

      See "Stiffness of an Advanced Sharpie" on my homepage at
      http://faculty.valpo.edu/gvandegr/.

      P.S. AJP pays authors ten times what I hear they pay contributors to
      MAIB, which is nothing.
    • Bob Slimak
      Message 2 of 25 , Dec 4, 2006
        Hmmm..... ten times nothing is ... NOTHING!
        Bob

      • Guy Vandegrift
        Message 3 of 25 , Dec 5, 2006
          That's why I am not interested in writing the paper myself.

          Re: "idea for overbuilt boat". I know I am mixing threads, but both
          are linked by my attempt to collaborate via internet with a group of
          kids, somewhere in the world. I think the LNS on that project is a
          12-ft "overbuilt" dinghy out of 0.25in by 1.5in lathe sticks (the
          cheaper the better). Instead of a double-transverse layer, consider
          a cross-stitched "weave" of long transverse sticks with longitudinal
          sticks only a few boardwidths accross (short to permit clamping).
          That should solve the buckling problem.

          They say the hull is only a third the cost of a boat. I bet if we
          cut the cost of the hull by a third, people will find ways to cut the
          other 2/3s by 1/3. Both projects are long-range and admittedly long-
          shots, justified by the idea that this is educational, and not too
          dangerous if the work is done by WELL SUPERVISED middle or high
          school kids. This is more fun and a lot more usefull than most of
          the stuff I wrote for AJP.

          Guy

          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Bob Slimak <otter55806@...> wrote:

          > Hmmm..... ten times nothing is ... NOTHING!
          > Bob
        • derbyrm
          Message 4 of 25 , Dec 5, 2006
            Careful on the lath. The stuff one bought forty years ago was fine wood; continuous lengths with few flaws. I used it for model RR roadbed. A few years later the only sticks I could find were made up from short segments joined with finger splices. It didn't bend and it broke if you looked at it funny. Probably still adequate for rose vines, but worthless for the task I wanted.

            As for collaboration, don't you first have to find someone who is as enthusiastic about the idea as you are?

            Roger
            derbyrm@...
            http://home.insightbb.com/~derbyrm

            That's why I am not interested in writing the paper myself.

            Re: "idea for overbuilt boat". I know I am mixing threads, but both
            are linked by my attempt to collaborate via internet with a group of
            kids, somewhere in the world. I think the LNS on that project is a
            12-ft "overbuilt" dinghy out of 0.25in by 1.5in lathe sticks (the
            cheaper the better). Instead of a double-transverse layer, consider
            a cross-stitched "weave" of long transverse sticks with longitudinal
            sticks only a few boardwidths accross (short to permit clamping).
            That should solve the buckling problem.

            They say the hull is only a third the cost of a boat. I bet if we
            cut the cost of the hull by a third, people will find ways to cut the
            other 2/3s by 1/3. Both projects are long-range and admittedly long-
            shots, justified by the idea that this is educational, and not too
            dangerous if the work is done by WELL SUPERVISED middle or high
            school kids. This is more fun and a lot more usefull than most of
            the stuff I wrote for AJP.

            Guy

            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Bob Slimak <otter55806@...> wrote:

            > Hmmm..... ten times nothing is ... NOTHING!
            > Bob

          • Guy Vandegrift
            Message 5 of 25 , Dec 5, 2006
              Thanks for warning me about lathe. I would want to do any scarfing
              myself. Regarding the enthusiasm problem, middle school kids can get
              enthused about anything. I just have to verify that the middle school
              is aware of the safety issues. Also, a novice amateur boatbuilder
              might like the idea of an overbuilt dinghy. I didn't regret
              overbuilding my Piccup Pram until I tried to lift it. Guy.