Re: [bolger] Re: Steel ASharpies/Lions Paw update/Weston Martyr

  • Christopher Wetherill
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 1, 2006
      Glassed chip board would solve any ballast problems you might have!
      Perhaps he was referring to their table tops of glued strips?

      V/R
      Chris

      Patric Albutat wrote:
      > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Waldo F. Odonahue" <waldofo@...> wrote:
      > snip.. They're mainly made of chipboard which isn't waterproof
      > at all (come and see my kitchen!). Perhaps glassing it all over would be possible?
      >
      > just curious,
      > Patric

    • Waldo F. Odonahue
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 1, 2006
        >>In terms of finishing the interior Bolger often recommends Ikea/Home
        >>Depot units for seating/shelving/ counters/ sitting/sleeping .

        >Are you being serious about this one?
        >I thought about it too and how extremely convinient, cheap AND good
        >loking that would be but felt it might be a bad idea because IKEA
        >certainly wasn't designed for a marine (= damp if not down right wet)
        >environment. They're mainly made of chipboard which isn't waterproof
        >at all (come and see my kitchen!).

        No I am not kidding. In material that Bolger faxed me for the Windermere (Trawler version) - that exactly what he says. There are different levels of quality and different materials used in these units - and differing costs to buy.

        Consumer Reports magazine (within the last couple of years or so) evaluated all the systems available in North America. Ikea came second at about one tenth the cost of the company that came first in quality!

        One can also get these units custom fabricated to your design (in whatever wood you wish) at the same costs of units found in lumber yards. You have to find the hobbiest cabinet maker in your neighborhood to do the work - not a commerical shop. The hobbiest likely has $20,000 in equipment sitting in the garage - be happy to make stuff for you with your money - rather than making yet another piece that gets stored .... until someday.
        The above is what I advise people who take my housebuilding workshops.

        <!--

        #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}
        #ygrp-text{
        font-family:Georgia;
        }
        #ygrp-text p{
        margin:0 0 1em 0;
        }
        #ygrp-tpmsgs{
        font-family:Arial;
        clear:both;
        }
        #ygrp-vitnav{
        padding-top:10px;
        font-family:Verdana;
        font-size:77%;
        margin:0;
        }
        #ygrp-vitnav a{
        padding:0 1px;
        }
        #ygrp-actbar{
        clear:both;
        margin:25px 0;
        white-space:nowrap;
        color:#666;
        text-align:right;
        }
        #ygrp-actbar .left{
        float:left;
        white-space:nowrap;
        }
        .bld{font-weight:bold;}
        #ygrp-grft{
        font-family:Verdana;
        font-size:77%;
        padding:15px 0;
        }
        #ygrp-ft{
        font-family:verdana;
        font-size:77%;
        border-top:1px solid #666;
        padding:5px 0;
        }
        #ygrp-mlmsg #logo{
        padding-bottom:10px;
        }

        #ygrp-vital{
        background-color:#e0ecee;
        margin-bottom:20px;
        padding:2px 0 8px 8px;
        }
        #ygrp-vital #vithd{
        font-size:77%;
        font-family:Verdana;
        font-weight:bold;
        color:#333;
        text-transform:uppercase;
        }
        #ygrp-vital ul{
        padding:0;
        margin:2px 0;
        }
        #ygrp-vital ul li{
        list-style-type:none;
        clear:both;
        border:1px solid #e0ecee;
        }
        #ygrp-vital ul li .ct{
        font-weight:bold;
        color:#ff7900;
        float:right;
        width:2em;
        text-align:right;
        padding-right:.5em;
        }
        #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{
        font-weight:bold;
        }
        #ygrp-vital a {
        text-decoration:none;
        }

        #ygrp-vital a:hover{
        text-decoration:underline;
        }

        #ygrp-sponsor #hd{
        color:#999;
        font-size:77%;
        }
        #ygrp-sponsor #ov{
        padding:6px 13px;
        background-color:#e0ecee;
        margin-bottom:20px;
        }
        #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{
        padding:0 0 0 8px;
        margin:0;
        }
        #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{
        list-style-type:square;
        padding:6px 0;
        font-size:77%;
        }
        #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{
        text-decoration:none;
        font-size:130%;
        }
        #ygrp-sponsor #nc {
        background-color:#eee;
        margin-bottom:20px;
        padding:0 8px;
        }
        #ygrp-sponsor .ad{
        padding:8px 0;
        }
        #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{
        font-family:Arial;
        font-weight:bold;
        color:#628c2a;
        font-size:100%;
        line-height:122%;
        }
        #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{
        text-decoration:none;
        }
        #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{
        text-decoration:underline;
        }
        #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{
        margin:0;
        }
        o {font-size:0;}
        .MsoNormal {
        margin:0 0 0 0;
        }
        #ygrp-text tt{
        font-size:120%;
        }
        blockquote{margin:0 0 0 4px;}
        .replbq {margin:4;}
        -->

      • ANDREW AIREY
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 3, 2006
          I wrote to PCB some time ago about Weston Martyr and
          never received a reply either,which was a pity because
          it fitted my requirements for universality.The thing
          to remember about WM was that the constraining
          dimension was the 6'10" width of the locks on the
          British narrow canals so that a 8ft width would be
          rather pointless for it's intended purpose.A steel
          AS39 would be quite nice though,the thing to remember
          about canal use being that there are a lot more things
          to bash about in canals and locks than a sailing boat
          might normally be expected to encounter.Some narrow
          boats were sailed,although perhaps not as a matter of
          course.For example,the Chesterfield canal
          'cuckoos'were occasionally sailed on the
          Trent,although in the last couple of decades of
          operation it was probably more common practise for
          them to drift with the incoming tide,or to pick up a
          tow when working upstream towards Newark
          cheers
          Andy Airey

        • Kristine Bennett
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 3, 2006
            I've helped outfit both steel and fiberglass boats...

            With steel you need to plan ahead and KNOW where you
            want things put so all the tabs and mounting plates
            are in the right place. Then make sure there are no
            changes and prime and paint every thing and then spray
            in the foam or glue in the foam or maybe both. Then
            comes the wood.

            The outfitting just takes a bit more time is all and a
            lot more planing!

            Building the hull out of steel is not that hard with
            the right tools. It just takes more time to do all the
            welding. But with the new epoxy paints the boat should
            be around for a long time to come!

            Blessings Krissie

            > On 12/1/06, Waldo F. Odonahue wrote:
            >
            > > Is there a difference between finshing a wood
            > versus steel hull?
            >
            > Perhaps it is only my imagination, but I know how to
            > deal with wood,
            > and not with steel.
            >
            > I know how to drive a nail into wood, but not steel.
            > Also, I know how
            > to shape wood with a chisel, or with my belt sander.
            > I know now to
            > glue wood to wood, but am not sure about wood to
            > steel.

            Want to start your own business?
            Learn how on Yahoo! Small Business.
            http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/r-index
          • Kristine Bennett
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 3, 2006
              I know a number of hobbiest woodworkers here on the
              island and they are more then happy to do the milling
              I need done. The last time it cost me two sets of
              planer blades and two new saw blades. And he still
              thinks he owes me for the all the blades.....

              All the milling we did would have cost me about 2
              grand to have a commercal shop do it. Hey it was also
              a nice way to spend a weekend with a friend!

              The funny thing is every thing we milled fit!

              Blessings all Krissie

              > One can also get these units custom fabricated to
              > your design (in whatever wood you wish) at the same
              > costs of units found in lumber yards. You have to
              > find the hobbiest cabinet maker in your neighborhood
              > to do the work - not a commerical shop. The hobbiest
              > likely has $20,000 in equipment sitting in the
              > garage - be happy to make stuff for you with your
              > money - rather than making yet another piece that
              > gets stored .... until someday.
              > The above is what I advise people who take my
              > housebuilding workshops.

              http://new.mail.yahoo.com
            • ANDREW AIREY
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 4, 2006
                ps Chesterfield canal 'cuckoos' were 72ft long which
                makes WM look relatively fat.Unfortunately the last
                original one fell apart under the tender care of the
                British Waterways museum so the Canal Trust is on with
                constructing a replica
                Cheers
                Andy Airey